Blu-Ray Beats HD DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-Ray Beats HD DVD

Thank goodness Toshiba threw in the towel and decided to cease manufacturing
    the HD DVD format.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...8&pageNumber=1
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Blu-Ray Beats HD DVD

Sony better start lowering the price of their units. Just because they won doesn't mean they can monopolize the DVD player market.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Go to any Circuit City or Best Buy. You'll see that brands other than Sony that also sell Blu-Ray players, like Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon, Sharp, etc. No monopoly exists on Blu-Ray players.

Prices are still high, but expect them to drop in the face of competition from movie download services, like Apple, Amazon, and Netflix.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Go to any Circuit City or Best Buy. You'll see that brands other than Sony that also sell Blu-Ray players, like Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon, Sharp, etc. No monopoly exists on Blu-Ray players.

Prices are still high, but expect them to drop in the face of competition from movie download services, like Apple, Amazon, and Netflix.
        Does Sony have patent on Blu-Ray? I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Does Sony have patent on Blu-Ray? I hope not.
          Well then I have good news and bad news for you. Sony does have intelluctual property rights to Blu-Ray technology. However, Sony is not the only property holder. Panasonic, Pioneer, and Warner also have a piece of the Blu-Ray action.

Hey, somebody had to own the rights to Blu-Ray. Why shouldn't the party(s) responsible for creating and marketing this technology reap in the rewards for their efforts? As if the concept of royalties is some new, radical idea! In case you weren't aware, up until about 6 years ago, Sony and Phillips received royalties on every CD disc sold.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well then I have good news and bad news for you. Sony does have intelluctual property rights to Blu-Ray technology. However, Sony is not the only property holder. Panasonic, Pioneer, and Warner also have a piece of the Blu-Ray action.
            Sucks to be Toshiba.

Hey, somebody had to own the rights to Blu-Ray. Why shouldn't the party(s) responsible for creating and marketing this technology reap in the rewards for their efforts? As if the concept of royalties is some new, radical idea! In case you weren't aware, up until about 6 years ago, Sony and Phillips received royalties on every CD disc sold.
            And yet we're still paying the same cost if not more for CD when the patent period ended.

Comment

And yet we're still paying the same cost if not more for CD when the patent period ended.
              I think the blank media prices dropped. As for music CDs, that' a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I think the blank media prices dropped. As for music CDs, that' a whole different story.
                Gecko, if you're gonna quote other people, then get your attributions right. You were responding to something that Random wrote.

Comment

Isn't the cheapest way to get a Blu-Ray player to buy a PlayStation?

All the "experts" say the price is going to come down on the players, now that Toshiba has dropped the HD format. Does anyone know yet whether Universal still plans to release titles in HD for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    All the "experts" say the price is going to come down on the players, now that Toshiba has dropped the HD format.
                    When the price of Blu-Ray players drop, the reason won't be because of HD-DVD's demise. Economics 101 tells you that, all other things being equal, a reduction in competition does not lead to price drops.

No, when the price of Blu-Ray players go down, it will be due to other reasons. As I stated in my earlier post, there will be movie download services. Also, retailers will likely discount early generations of standalone Blu-Ray players (with the 1.0 specs) to make room for the next generation 2.0 profile Blu-Ray hardware that will have new features and upgrades based around online connectivity

Does anyone know yet whether Universal still plans to release titles in HD for a while?
                    Universal already announced they will not be releasing any more future titles in HD-DVD. No doubt Paramount and Dreamworks will soon be following suit. How realisitic is it to expect any studio to support a format where the hardware manufacturing base is about to be closed down?
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 21, 2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Leo Lakio;185314]Isn't the cheapest way to get a Blu-Ray player to buy a PlayStation? QUOTE]

You still have to buy the player in conjunction with the PS3 right?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[QUOTE=craigwatanabe;185327]
                        Isn't the cheapest way to get a Blu-Ray player to buy a PlayStation? QUOTE]

You still have to buy the player in conjunction with the PS3 right?
                        No I believe the Blu-Ray player is built into the PS3. Just like a HD-DVD player
                        is built into a XBOX 360.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Gecko, if you're gonna quote other people, then get your attributions right. You were responding to something that Random wrote.
                          Now how'd that happen? Must have messed up editing a multi-quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Just like a HD-DVD player is built into a XBOX 360.
                            It is? I was just ready to buy one. I wonder if they'll come out with a blu-360?

No, when the price of Blu-Ray players go down, it will be due to other reasons.
                            The most likely will be that now that the war is settled, people will be buying them and the higher production levels will drop the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                              No I believe the Blu-Ray player is built into the PS3. Just like a HD-DVD player is built into a XBOX 360.
                              No, guys. Here's the straight dope.

Sony Playstation 3s play Blu-Ray discs, right out of the box.

X-Box 360 consoles, OTOH, do not have built-in HD-DVD capability. You need to buy an extra drive for that.

As of now, Microsoft hasn't announced what their plans are now that HD-DVD is dead in the water. One would suspect that MS will eventually have to bite the bullet and pay the licensing fees to join the Blu-Ray camp, if only to protect X-Box's share of the console market.

Toshiba also hasn't announced any plans to produce Blu-Ray hardware in the near future. But I think they eventually will, someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X