Photo Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Program

Any recommendations on a simple yet useful photo enhancement program? I want a few options on a program such as allowing for cropping, reducing red eye, switching heads on bodies (ha), simple things that do not require a ton of technical knowledge or that requires too many hours to learn. Oh, and one that can be learned "on your own" without needing to take a formal course.

Is there such a thing? Can text be inserted? This beginner needs help please.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Photo Program

If it's not a hassle for you to get, GIMP is a good graphics editing program for beginners. It was my first before I learned how to use Photoshop. It's free, too, you just download it off the website. It might look intimidating at first but it's cool

There are also tutorials you can use for cropping (first on the list), red eye removal, adding text (under the floating logo tutorial), and other things.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Do you have a Windows based or Macintosh based computer?

Comment

also, Paint.net is very user friendly in comparison to some of the more intimidating programs out there.

http://www.getpaint.net/
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

On the low end of the Mac side there is iPhoto which is part of the iLife bundle.
          You can do some photo enhancing with this and organization.
          Costs about $70. May be free on some new Macs.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I agree with TATTRAT on paint.NET . It's fast, free, and simple enough to learn on your own.

The GIMP is a little more difficult to learn because it's more powerful...it has more tools, filters, and such as opposed to paint.NET. The GIMP would be better for 'switching heads'.

If you don't mind spending some moolah, you may want to check out Jasc (I think they got bought out by Corel now though) Paint Shop Pro (I like version 7-8 the best). I used to use this before I got into Photoshop and highly recommend it. In my opinion, it's more powerful than the GIMP, yet at the same time more user-friendly. I used to love using and creating my own tubes and stamps. The photo retouching tools are also great. I think you can get it for around $75.

*Just a bit of a side note: All three programs have layers and filter functions

Hope this helps you out some...
            Local Kine True Pictures of Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Do you have a Windows based or Macintosh based computer?
              Windows.
              Thanks for the advice from all - I'm such a hopeless beginner I don't even know what is meant by "layers and filter functions".
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Thanks for the advice from all - I'm such a hopeless beginner I don't even know what is meant by "layers and filter functions".
                Don't worry about it, those things aren't "beginner" topics at all.

I want a few options on a program such as allowing for cropping
                Easy. Most all programs can do this.

reducing red eye
                A little harder, depending on the program and on how nitpicky you are about getting it right.

switching heads on bodies (ha)
                Ha. Not easy.

simple things that do not require a ton of technical knowledge or that requires too many hours to learn.
                Depends on your definitions of "a ton" and "too many", and where you're starting from.

Oh, and one that can be learned "on your own" without needing to take a formal course.
                All of this can be learned on your own. Google is your friend.

Do you want to figure it all out on your own using freeware? Then get and learn the GIMP.

Are you willing to spend money on software? Then get Adobe Photoshop Elements; I'm pretty sure it will do all the things you asked about.

Comment

Originally posted by localkine.org View Post
                  If you don't mind spending some moolah, you may want to check out Jasc (I think they got bought out by Corel now though) Paint Shop Pro (I like version 7-8 the best). I used to use this before I got into Photoshop and highly recommend it.
                  I can vouch for JASC Paint Shop Pro 8, also. It's what I use and I think it's great. I just looked and there are some brand new for sale on Ebay. For example, JASC Paint Shop Pro 8.1 one had a buy it now price of $19.99 plus $4.99 for shipping. I don't know exactly what the difference is between version 8 and 8.1, but I'll bet it's just a small upgrade in features. That's really a great deal for how much this program can do. A couple of years ago you would have paid $80 to $100 for this program. It will take you some experimentation, but in the grand scheme of things I think it's easy to use.

Comment

Any picasa users?

I think the Canon comes with some software for you to use.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I've fooled around with Picasa. It's great for scrapbooking and collage making, but I think that's about it. I use other graphic programs but I've still got it installed on my pc just in case someone else in my household wants to use it...if it's free, why not, huh?
                      Local Kine True Pictures of Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                      X