Senior friendly cell phones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior friendly cell phones?

Okay my elderly mother's Verizon plan is coming due and I'm thinking of switching plans for her so she can use a more elderly friendly phone.

I've checked out the Jitterbug, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there. Remember multi-function buttons are a no-no and simplicity is the best.

Anyone remember or know of any basic cell phones out there with large easy to use buttons and display and NO multi function buttons. The key here is: One Button One Function. No need for phone directories, downloads, ringtones, wallpapers, blah blah blah. A simple make and take kinda cell phone.

There's gotta be one out there other than the Jitterbug.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: senior friendly cell phones?

I've been looking as well, and so far, the best that I've seen from Verizon Wireless is the Verizon Wireless Coupe It has 3 hard buttons that can be programmed for speed dialing. Buttons and fonts are slightly larger than most phones. Maybe the senior market isn't big enough for phone manufacturers to devote to this segment, but it's definitely needed.

Comment

If the senior does not use the phone very much, a simple Tracfone might be perfect. The phone is cheap, and you can buy minutes for just a few bucks a month (you renew minutes quarterly). No contract. Basic functions w/out bells and whistles. Cheap. Did I mention cheap?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

My mom (going on 70) had one of the cheap phones from Verizon (non-flip) and hated having to deal with the keypad-disable function. So I gave her a Razr that I had lying around and she loves it (she's now on my t-mobile family plan --- free calls). Throw it in her bag and it won't dial inadvertently, and is pretty easy to use (once I taught her how to access the phone book/ last call function). I set it to "answer when flip" mode so when it rings all she has to do is open it up and she can talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          If the senior does not use the phone very much, a simple Tracfone might be perfect. The phone is cheap, and you can buy minutes for just a few bucks a month (you renew minutes quarterly). No contract. Basic functions w/out bells and whistles. Cheap. Did I mention cheap?
          Of bigger concern to seniors <raising my hand!>, such as CW's mom, is the phone itself, rather than the plan. Larger buttons and single vs multi use buttons and ease of use are very important.

Craig, awhile back there was a discussion on HT about cell phones designed for children. I remember thinking that seniors might benefit from the same designs.

Comment

Here's a cell phone that seniors might be comfortable with...

www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=286

Might be a bit impractical to carry around though.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
              Here's a cell phone that seniors might be comfortable with...[...]
              Now your talkin'!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Anyone remember or know of any basic cell phones out there with large easy to use buttons and display and NO multi function buttons. The key here is: One Button One Function. No need for phone directories, downloads, ringtones, wallpapers, blah blah blah. A simple make and take kinda cell phone.

There's gotta be one out there other than the Jitterbug.
                That's what I want!
                Yes we can!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Senior friendly TV remote.

On a related note, I just got my mother, who is 88, a Weemote Sr. (series 7) remote control. Not many buttons (no number entry), and buttons differ in shape, size and color. Intended specially for a TV + cable/satellite set top box combination. Learns. Works well. Made by Fobis, avail. from Amazon for $25.
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Of bigger concern to seniors <raising my hand!>, such as CW's mom, is the phone itself, rather than the plan. Larger buttons and single vs multi use buttons and ease of use are very important.

Craig, awhile back there was a discussion on HT about cell phones designed for children. I remember thinking that seniors might benefit from the same designs.
                    That phone was the Cricket and in doing a google search I couldn't find anything about this phone other than there is a cell phone company called Cricket.

The problem with that phone was that there were only four pre-programmed buttons and no other keys. She does on occasion need to make outgoing calls to more than four people however so that phone won't work.

I can't believe there isn't a cell phone out there that only utilizes a numeric keypad. I'd love to see one that functions like a flip phone on answering and making calls by simply opening it up (like a Razr) but only has a numeric keypad...you know...simple.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Senior phone wants:
                      • Large buttons with space between them
                      • Large fonts
                      • Clear speaker that can get REALLY LOUD
                      • Send/End buttons replaced with Dial/Hang Up
                      • No multifunction buttons
                      • Auto answer when opened
                      • Really loud ringtone
                      • Easy to retrieve voicemail
                      • Optional chaperone function that will help track the location of the senior or auto alert a contact if the user travels outside a specific zone

No camera, mp3 player, texting, nothing.

I think that Jitterbug has a nice feature that when the phone is opened, it gives off a fake dial tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X