Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I set Windows to wipe the local drive upon reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I set Windows to wipe the local drive upon reboot?

I volunteered to help with a non-prof's IT needs. The people who use their computer lab occasionally save documents with sensitive information (i.e. resumes, etc.) on the local hard drive, download unwanted toolbars and spyware, and some other crap.

Is there a way that Windows can wipe itself clean to whatever preset settings upon reboot?

And check the post count, all ya nerds
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: How can I set Windows to wipe the local drive upon reboot?

Hi Mike,
    There is a program for Win XP on the Microsoft website called Steadystate. Best of all, it's free. The concept of SteadyState is to return the Win XP environment to the original state before users modified Win XP. You can create account that have only internet access only. Other accounts can be setup to allow or disallow access to CD/DVD recorder, the ability to save or not save files to the hard disk. Before you install SteadyState, it would be a good idea to setup your computer(s) the way you want. Setup accounts with internet access only, accounts that can access MS Office, what account was access to certain utilities, etc. Although it may seem complicated, it's not. It just takes some careful planning. There are tutorials on the site and I would advise that you read them. I worked with the first generation of this program and it was great. It was more complicated to work with, but it gave the person maintaining computers a great deal of control of what a user could do to a computer. The biggest problem I had was having users installing programs on computers that sometimes compromised the system (e.g. viruses, Trojans, etc.) Using SteadyState, you can even prevent users from installing any programs, period. Too bad there isn't a version for Vista. Anyway, here's the link to the site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
    Hope this helps.........gordo

Comment

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wind...a/aa042204.htm

Comment

good looks, you two.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I have used a thing called DBAN, "Darik's Boot and Nuke". Google it to find the download. With this loaded on a floppy or CD, you can automatically wipe a disk clean when you boot from it. It erases EVERYTHING by writing over it several times.

You then are left with a completely blank hard disk. To restore a disk image, I like Acronis True Image. I think the professional version allows you to use one image to restore multiple computers. It only costs a few dollars more and may be worth it for the task you have.

PS: I just remembered that Acronis has a disk wiping utility too--so you don't really need DBAN.
          Last edited by alohatim; March 19, 2008, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I reread your post and realized that you were trying do something different than what I suggested. Gordo's solution sounds cool! I had never heard of SteadyState. I am going to try it.

Comment

Working...
            X