Which Is Better DirecTV or Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Is Better DirecTV or Dish

My brother, who lives down in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, is looking at getting satellite tv service soon. His house is located out of Oceanic Time Warner's service area, so thats why he is looking at getting satellite tv.

It seems there is much more dish network installers here on the Big Island than directv. At least when I looked in the phone book that was case and when I looked online.

So if anyone can give me some helpful hints, I'm all ears.

By the way I saw the pictures that Craig took of his directv and dish network dishes. The directv dishes are huge.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Which Is Better DirecTV or Dish

I've never used satellite television before but have seen quite a few Directv dishes around.

Here's a few sites that might help you out:

http://www.thesatellitetvguide.com/d...sh-network.htm
    http://www.satellitetv-choice.com/
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Aaron I replied to your email but for the benefit of HTer's:

I've had Dish Network for almost 5-years already. I hate it.

I just hooked up with DirecTV and love it.

When the UPS driver came to my house yesterday to drop off the return boxes for the Dish Network satellite boxes with the following statement in bold letters, "The DISH Network equipment in your home is the property of Dish Network and must be returned immediately...", I told her, "well that's a friendly reminder to send their boxes back to them".

She tells me that she sees a lot of these boxes as people switch off of Dish Network for you guessed it...DirecTV.

As for me, I've had absolutely no problems with DirecTV even when the weather gets bad. When the DirecTV guy (Ricky) came over, I was watching the History Channel on Dish Network. Actually I was watching an error message splashed across my HD TV set. I tell Ricky it's been sporadic all day and sometimes for several days. He looks at the sky and says, "It's a beautiful sunny day and no clouds?"

That's why I'm so upset with Dish Network. Great day, no clouds, and no signal. Ricky tells me he can fix that and gets to work. When he was done and I saw High Definition for the first time on my 42-inch LCD HD TV, I was simply amazed.

It's been a week now and so far absolutely perfect picture and zero, nada drop outs.

And the winner is...DirecTV!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, mahalo plenty for the feedback. It is very much appreciated.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
          I just looked over the Dish vs. DirecTV comparison at satellitetv-choice. It's way off. For example, they say DirecTV has 10 HD channels when actually it has around 90 (with more soon to come). Prices are wrong, also.
          Greg

Comment

I'm wondering if the 10 are the freebies and the 90 are some PPV and premium channels. DirecTV has these channels called "club1080" and HD Theater where all broadcasts are in HD with programming suited for high definition. Man watching these channels in High Definition all day makes for a major headache because it's so dimensional you actually get sick from all the action. The clarity is just friggin amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              I'm wondering if the 10 are the freebies and the 90 are some PPV and premium channels.
              Nothing is free, unfortunately. I think that web site just has not been updated since last Fall when the DirecTV10 satellite became operational. The 90 does include PPV and premium movie and sports channels, but even without those I just counted 51 HD channels in my program guide.
              Greg

Comment

I've never counted the total amount of HD channels but it doesn't matter as I can't watch that much HD TV before my eyes go crazy. Today it's been the Matrix in HD all day.

And I had ONE drop out today but that was caused by my chicken that attempted to roost on the HD dish LNBs.

Comment

Sooo Dish Network trails again in stock and satellite orbit altitude

I'm so glad I switched to DirecTV

Comment

Thank you for the input, Craig. My brother ended up signing up with DirecTV. Unfortunately my brother was not able to sign up through the process you emailed me (and gave him).He was not able to talk to a live person and needed your actual account number. So he signed up through the other 1-800 number I got from the DirecTV website. The installer is scheduled to come on April 15th.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

These guys know both Dish Net and Directv really well, they can tell you the pros and cons of each. I recommend them to anyone
                      their website is http://www.hawaiisatelliteservices.com

Comment

Working...
                      X