Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys use the U3 software on your jump drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys use the U3 software on your jump drive?

recently bought a 2 gig jump drive and when i plug it into my pc, my avg program kicks up all these windows cuz the U3 software is trying to launch this and that. i'm thinking of just trashing everyone on the drive cuz it's taking up space (my whole purpose for buying the drive) but i wonder if most people love the software?

anyone a big fan of U3?
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: do you guys use the U3 software on your jump drive?

I don't have the U3 software at home and the few times I come across it at work is because the users are having problems with it due to it trying to use 2 drive letters but can't.

Comment

Re: do you guys use the U3 software on your jump drive?

I've been debating whether to delete it from my Sandisk jumpdrive. For some reason when I'm downloading a program with an auto.exe when done, it won't open because the U3 program is running. I can't even simply shut it down thru the system tray so I end up pulling the jump drive out of the USB port so the program can auto execute and start.

So far I haven't had the chance to actually use the U3 function so I may as well delete it, but Murphy's law will dictate that the day I delete it, I'll need it soon thereafter so I just leave it on and deal with the inconvenience of having it.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Do you guys use the U3 software on your jump drive?

No. A thousand times no. I'm buying a storage device, not an application. If they were confident in the quality of their utilities, they should just provide it on CD.

Instead, they have an insidious, presumptive program that automatically gets into the guts of your (Windows) system and does all kinds of wacky junk that it counterintuitive and barely, if at all, useful in any way. I've had to help a couple of people just to get rid of this thing. And a quick Google will turn up thousands of other frustrated victims.

Comment

Amen to Ryan. Not only does it do screwy things to Windows, but it misbehaves as a removable storage device when plugged into a Mac. It's not as bad as it used to be (no longer shows up as a blank CD) but what the heck is it DOING there? I remove it for my students all the time. My colleagues don't seem to think it's a big deal. I don't get them sometimes.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            No. A thousand times no. I'm buying a storage device, not an application. If they were confident in the quality of their utilities, they should just provide it on CD.

Instead, they have an insidious, presumptive program that automatically gets into the guts of your (Windows) system and does all kinds of wacky junk that it counterintuitive and barely, if at all, useful in any way. I've had to help a couple of people just to get rid of this thing. And a quick Google will turn up thousands of other frustrated victims.
            Amen to that.

This is why I configured my iPod to act as a fast storage device :P Lots more storage on a physical state HD.
            Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

thanks for the helpful feedback; i felt like deleting it since avg alerted me to all kinds of stuff it was doing even tho i didn't understand what it was doing! now i won't feel bad about deleting it since i bought for one reason: to have a portable storage device.

you guys are great as always! thanks.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Of course the next time you buy a USB thumb drive just make sure it does not have the U3 software on it.

Comment

I think I'll delete mine as well. You know one interesting thing about it is that the jump drive puts it on a separate "partition". One day when my 2Gb San Disk jump drive decided it wouldn't be recognized, I had to reformat it. I figured the U3 App was history until I rebooted with the drive in the USB port and whoa! The U3 app still launched. So before you delete the U3 application you may want to consider reformatting the entire drive so you can gain some drive space.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey, read the post pz links to, above. We've been over that!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

didn't try the link; got it; thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X