Magic Jack anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Jack anyone?

Okay so a customer at work tells me about Magic Jack, this wonderful USB device that you simply plug into your computer's USB port then plug any standard phone into this device and viola! Free phone calls anywhere! Well at least for 30-days but the annual subscription is $20 for unlimited local and domestic long distance phone calls.

My customer tells me his wife calls China everyday for just an addtional $5 per year.

The unit is $39 plus s+h and requires a broadband connection and a computer online. It includes caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding and voicemail. Magic Jack also gives you a phone number but in time will allow you to "port" your existing phone number to this unit. Your computer can be off or offline to receive voicemail.

I'm intrigued into getting one as my HawTel phone bill is getting out of hand. The fact that you can take voice mail messges while your computer is off is interesting so that you don't miss a call.

This unit can make calls either thru a standard phone plugged into the Magic Jack or you can use your computer's mic/speaker and on-screen dial pad to make and receive calls.

The reviews have been all over the board from piece of crap to wonderful. Has anyone here used or have heard of this device? I'm so really wanting to get this thing really badly but it's the reviews that I'm concerned about.
    Attached Files
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Magic Jack anyone?

Come on guys, has anyone heard of this gizmo?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Come on guys, has anyone heard of this gizmo?
      Me.

HAHAHAHAHA

And P.K.

HAHAHAHAHA

On late night infomercial.

We was gonna get it but changed our mind when we saw your post.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm still intrigued at it especially because of it's low price and low annual fee. I really want to dump HawTel already.

Comment

A Mac geek passed it by the local Mac users' group email list. It got a good review by a Mac retail guy so I looked into it. Figured out it would be a great extra phone line for me but, lo and behold, it's in Beta for Mac...and Mac Intel only. It won't work with my Powerbook. Dang...I'm always one major upgrade behind.

The 808 area code isn't available or even pending yet. But, in this day and age, having a mainland phone # just ain't no big deal!!!

If I could get it...I would get it!

Craig, there's currently a 30 day free trial. Go for it.

Comment

(Double post. See below. My bad!)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The unit is $39 plus s+h (...) I'm so really wanting to get this thing really badly but it's the reviews that I'm concerned about.
              I don't know anything about it, Craig, but for less than $50 it seems like a cheap gamble and worth the risk for you.
              $50 is, what, one tank of gas for your 190-mph BMW?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                I don't know anything about it, Craig, but for less than $50 it seems like a cheap gamble and worth the risk for you.
                $50 is, what, one tank of gas for your 190-mph BMW?
                Just about. With today's high gasoline prices it's not worth going that fast and not worth getting a ticket at that speed.

The real bummer part was that my last speeding ticket was for going 65 in a 45 zone. And that was to beat a yellow light so it was a very short sprint to the intersection that got me and not some all out autobahn thrill ride.

And for the record, I don't speed anymore, not worth the short gain for the long pain.

Comment

With today's high gasoline prices it's not worth going that fast and not worth getting a ticket at that speed.
                  Ticket, nothing. At the 186mph you mentioned earlier, they cuff you and take you straight to the pokey.

And for the record, I don't speed anymore, not worth the short gain for the long pain.
                  Ah. Your new slow speeds explains your signature Location line, "Now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna."

Comment

Have never used the device myself, but for those who are interested, below is a schedule on when the Magic Jack informercial will play for the next two weeks. This list is based on oceanic basic cable on Oahu (sorry).

magicJack.com
                    Run Time: 30 min.

CH Station Date & Time
                    41 FXP Fri 3/28 12:00 AM
                    58 TRAVP Fri 3/28 4:00 AM
                    31 PRIME Sat 3/29 12:00 AM
                    69 DSCP Sat 3/29 3:30 AM
                    71 HITLC Sat 3/29 5:00 AM
                    29 HIUSAP Sat 3/29 5:30 AM
                    39 CNBC Sun 3/30 12:30 AM
                    71 HITLC Sun 3/30 6:30 AM
                    51 FITV Sun 3/30 10:30 PM
                    37 SCIFIP Mon 3/31 4:00 AM
                    29 HIUSAP Wed 4/2 5:00 AM
                    37 SCIFIP Thu 4/3 3:00 AM
                    41 FXP Fri 4/4 12:00 AM
                    37 SCIFIP Tue 4/8 4:30 AM
                    41 FXP Wed 4/9 12:00 AM
                    37 SCIFIP Thu 4/10 2:30 AM
                    Last edited by gordo; March 28, 2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. My brother just bought this. He's had it for about a month and so far results are good. He's called me. No dropped calls and very clear. This is exactly like Vonnage except you only pay $20 per year instead of month to month like Vonnage. Your initial $40 includes your first year of calling.

The only thing to have to think about is you would be giving up your home phone number. They give you a new phone number. If you have had your home phone number for years then you have to weigh it out. Is it worth it to lose your phone number to have free calls instead of paying a regular month to month phone bill?

The other consideration is where you have your regular LAN line plugged in now, because you will have to move that phone over by your computer, or have a long phone line1 because you have to plug it into the magic jack which then plugs into your computer in the back.

Comment

But if you use a cordless phone that would solve the problem.

In my case I would simply disconnect the incoming telephone line from HawTel to the protection/demarkation box outside and backfeed the magic jack's telephone jack thru the house telephone wiring so the Magic Jack feeds all telephone wall jacks in my house.

But you say the first $40 pays for the entire year? Is that the Magic Jack + first year service?

Comment

In my case I would simply disconnect the incoming telephone line from HawTel to the protection/demarkation box outside and backfeed the magic jack's telephone jack thru the house telephone wiring so the Magic Jack feeds all telephone wall jacks in my house.

But you say the first $40 pays for the entire year? Is that the Magic Jack + first year service?
                          Yes, it's $40 for the first year which includes the entire first year of calling.

Comment

Never used it, but a few things I'd think about. That a big honkin device right there by the USB jack. I'd never be able to plug it into the back of the computer because it would block some other connector. Depending on the case style, it may not be able to plug into the front. I hope it comes with a USB extension cable.

Second, it plugs into the computer, so it has to be on to receive calls. (Weren't you the one suggesting we turn off our computers when not in use?) While that might be fine while you try out the service, I'd want to be able to graduate to a device that plugs into the network direction and not require a computer. Something like Vonage.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              [...]Second, it plugs into the computer, so it has to be on to receive calls. [...]
                              If I read the online propaganda correctly, when the computer is off incoming calls will go to voice mail...just like a cell phone! Or, is my Untechie Tutu moniker exposing itself again?

Comment

Working...
                              X