Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magic Jack anyone?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    If I read the online propaganda correctly, when the computer is off incoming calls will go to voice mail...just like a cell phone! Or, is my Untechie Tutu moniker exposing itself again?
    That's fine, but you're still not getting your call. You'd have to leave the computer on all the time you're home and awake to receive calls.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      That's fine, but you're still not getting your call. You'd have to leave the computer on all the time you're home and awake to receive calls.
      Which is fine with me. It would encourage me to turn my computer off for longer periods of time!

I'm curious about voice mails. I wonder if they're sent to one's email as .wav files or if one has to call one's number and follow the prompts!

Comment

I saw the title of this thread and thought it must be some super-good,and new booze, LOL!

Never mind....I'll just go back to sleep here....onward,through the fog....
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Never used it, but a few things I'd think about. That a big honkin device right there by the USB jack. I'd never be able to plug it into the back of the computer because it would block some other connector. Depending on the case style, it may not be able to plug into the front. I hope it comes with a USB extension cable.

Second, it plugs into the computer, so it has to be on to receive calls. (Weren't you the one suggesting we turn off our computers when not in use?) While that might be fine while you try out the service, I'd want to be able to graduate to a device that plugs into the network direction and not require a computer. Something like Vonage.
          My brother said it has a pig-tail, so you don't have the problem with the plug-in.

He said you do have to leave your phone on to receive calls, but if you don't it will go to voice mail.

Comment

That's correct. The pigtail is basically a USB extension and was pictured in use when using a laptop.

And also true is that the MagicJack will direct all incoming calls to a voicemail when not active thru a computer.

What would make it even better is if it could call forward to your cell phone if your computer is turned off.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If Magic Jack can get me off, I'm there, dude.

Comment

The geeks at Boing Boing Gadgets have reviewed the Magic Jack. I think they summed up their impressions pretty well in their headline:

MagicJack's EULA says it will spy on you and force you into arbitration

Comment

just heard about this contraption late last night on some infomercial.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    The geeks at Boing Boing Gadgets have reviewed the Magic Jack. I think they summed up their impressions pretty well in their headline:

MagicJack's EULA says it will spy on you and force you into arbitration
                    See comment 11 from the web-page. He does make a good point.

#11 posted by frankie , April 14, 2008 1:29 PM
                    "I do not know who all you morons are that think just because a company requires an ad on their product to work is bad but its not. I use this product and am very satisfied. Call me a "dumhead" if you want but I will have the last laugh. I am will to bet that most of your PC's are ate up with spyware more serious that what MAY be in this product. Further, more one might ask what are you so afraid of, what do you have to hide? I have nothing to hide and I am not paying $600.00 dollars a year just to make a few calls. In short, you guys need to get a life"

Comment

Originally posted by coop5054 View Post
                      See comment 11 from the web-page. He does make a good point.[...]
                      I agree but a similar discussion is also going on in a Mac email list where this was pointed out about the inventor, Dan Borislow:
                      Sometimes controversial for his β€œtell it like it is” style, Dan has always been an advocate for low-cost telecommunications, a high quality network, invasive spyware, skimming money from Charities[1], and superior customer satisfaction.
                      (source)
                      An advocate of invasive spyware????? That gives new meaning to "analyzing the phone numbers you call".

And..."skimming money from Charities"???

According to someone who is currently using, and is very happy with, MagicJack, the ads haven't started...yet. I wonder if the mandatory ads (MJ won't work without them) will be audio via the handset only or if they will be within the software and appear on the monitor.

Comment

I think I'll build a specific computer to handle the MagicJack and it's accompanying ads. But for the price it's worth the added inconvenience of phone tracking. Heck it's not like I use the phone for perverted reasons so I could care less that they're tracking my phone calls to my sister on Oahu, brother in LA, or those bill collectors everytime I forget to make a credit card payment

Comment

I think you'd be better off going with an established VoIP operator. The price difference between first tier and MJ is minimal.

Comment

Really? What kind of packages are out there?

Comment

I'd start with Vonage or Skype. I see a Skype plan for Unlimited calls to the US for $3. And I see mention of the ability to transfer calls. At that price point, I don't think fooling around with someone with a shady reputation is with the cost savings.

Comment

I'd start with Vonage or Skype. I see a Skype plan for Unlimited calls to the US for $3. And I see mention of the ability to transfer calls. At that price point, I don't think fooling around with someone with a shady reputation is with the cost savings.
                                But at $20 per year it's intriguing. How much is Skype per month or per year?

Comment

Working...
                                X