The Wackiest Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wackiest Products

This Old House.com has a new series going on home-related "Wackiest Products", featuring some pretty wild ideas turned into tangible products you can actually buy!

They've covered the kitchen, bath, pet, and their latest, "Wackiest Yard and Garden products".

What's cool for the yard?

I, Mow-bot
    Filipino yard men, beware: The Automower from Husqvarna, "designed to operate with the absolute minimum human interaction," may severely limit your lawn-mowing income this summer. Working a random pattern between the boundary wires around your yard, the robot mower automatically shuts itself off or returns to its charger when finished. It cuts the lawn rain or shine and handles hills less than 35 degrees.

Pricey, but very, very cool.

What's wacked?

Clean Clippers.
    Not only are power hedge clippers dangerous in a sweaty palm, they also make a mess of clippings at the base of your hedges. Solve both problems with the Garden Groom, a kind of Dust Buster for bushes. The smaller "Junior" model concealed blades cut branches less than a half inch in diameter, shredding and storing the waste for the compost pile.

The day I see the neighbor using this, is the day I decide to put my home up for sale.

One wacked gadget not mentioned in the kitchen category is the Ronco Inside-the-Shell Electric Egg Scrambler. You have to be one lazy SOB to not have enough energy to whip your own scrambled eggs with a good old fork. lol

Of course, we all know the wackiest product EVER sold for pets is, and always will be CLOTHING.

I'm trying to think of "Wackiest Made in Hawaii Products". How about Wackiest Hawaii Tourist Trap Products?

Like that ridiculous excuse of a musical instrument they dare to call a Ukulele sold at the ABC store. The tuning pegs (if you call it that) are a joke. And a plastic mayonnaise jar has more resonation than that Monkeypod scrapwood POS. lol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: The Wackiest Products

Oh, I know. The SPAM Musubi Slicer. You, the one where you put a whole block of SPAM, and it cuts it into individual SPAM Musubi-size slices in one fell swoop.

Wacky indeed, but I gotta' admit, if I were running a business serving the stuff, I'd certainly put that to use!

Marukai sells it for just under $4. That's a "Wacky Good Deal"!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      [...]Like that ridiculous excuse of a musical instrument they dare to call a Ukulele sold at the ABC store. The tuning pegs (if you call it that) are a joke. And a plastic mayonnaise jar has more resonation than that Monkeypod scrapwood POS. lol
      I totally agree with you about the sound. Actually, there's noise but no sound! Those $9.98 ukes sure came in handy as props a coupla months ago when I was auditioning kids for a ukulele lesson scene. Goodwill isn't selling kids toys anymore because of all the recall problems and there was no way I could buy 4 REAL ones! I checked ABC across the street and they had the souvenir, junk kind on sale for $7.98. I was very thankful for that wacky product!

The Mow-bot sounds like a Roomba on steroids. I had a Roomba when I had carpet. Loved that silly thing. It worked...but not for long! I still think the pet rock is one of the wackiest products of all time!

And thanks to WindwardOahuRN I now know what POS means!

Comment

Like that ridiculous excuse of a musical instrument they dare to call a Ukulele sold at the ABC store. The tuning pegs (if you call it that) are a joke. And a plastic mayonnaise jar has more resonation than that Monkeypod scrapwood POS. lol
        Well..... it is a toy...... I actually have one of those that I bring into class. They do have their upsides. I don't have to worry about anyone breaking it and I can still talk about the shape, size and material. Have even taken a bow to it to show how you can make a crude violin. Do the same thing with a cheap bamboo flute. Add a reed onto it and you have a "sax". Crude but effective learning tool.

Comment

OK, alright, I'll lay off da' "ABC Uke".

This weekend, you'll bet I'll be hitting the Waikiki International Marketplace in search of "Hawaii's Wackiest Tourist Trap Products".
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wow, Pomai! The links you gave are Grrrrrreat! Seriously! Lots of small space info. My fave wackiest bath product so far takes togetherness a bit to the extreme!

Comment

Let's say you live in the city but drive a rugged, manly 4WD SUV. You don't ever take it off-roading, but you want to look like you do. Well, somebody out there sells spray-on mud so you can make it look like you use your SUV the way it was designed to be used.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/jun/14/uknews

That's wacky.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                Let's say you live in the city but drive a rugged, manly 4WD SUV. You don't ever take it off-roading, but you want to look like you do. Well, somebody out there sells spray-on mud so you can make it look like you use your SUV the way it was designed to be used.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/jun/14/uknews

That's wacky.
                And let's say you're a BALD guy driving this make-pretend 4x4 off-roader. Then you can add to the aerosol solution with a spray-on hair concealer!

Shoots, while you're at it, you can even spray on automotive window tint!

I wonder if they have spray-on oil changes and transmission overhauls? I might need a can in the future.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Perusing one of Pomai's links above I found (and I kid you not!) the Tinkle eyebrow razors!

Comment

if you pick up The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions, you'll see a whole host of japanese wacky gadgets.

for example, a onesie with cleaning cloths attached so while baby crawls on the floor, s/he can contribute meaningfully in terms of household chores, instead of just eating, pooping, crying, and looking cute.

then there is the umbrella with the clear plastic curtain that drapes from the edge of the umbrella down to a few inches above the floor, so that your entire person does not get wet (sideways rain, anyone?) and you can see where you're going whilst everyone laughs at you.

and the mannequin hand that is used to hold raw fish or meat when you're slicing it, to reduce hand-to-icky cold thing contact.

lastly, the mini washing machines that attach to your ankles...so you can, literally, wash clothes on the run.

somehow, i think that even the ramen fans on the "best ramen" thread wouldn't buy the invention pictured here.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Hawaii's Wackiest Tourist Trap Products

Due to unpopular demand, here's that cheap ABC Ukulele, which I got a shot of at the corner ABC store today...

I forgot to check the price, but I think it was on sale for less than 1 cent.

Notice the "Dashboard Hula Dancers" below it, which I won't even get into right now.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Hawaii's Wackiest Tourist Trap Products

Due to unpopular demand, here's that cheap ABC Ukulele, which I got a shot of at the corner ABC store today...
                        [...]
                        Notice the "Dashboard Hula Dancers" below it, which I won't even get into right now.
                        Oh, man! This is great eBay stuff!

Comment

My wife and I saw tweezers ad on T.V.
                          Her eyes sparkled so I got her one.
                          She's yet to use it since it takes AAA batteries and I don't got any.
                          Soon. Kinda wacky but if it works?!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X