XP Antivirus 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Antivirus 2.4

Anybody running this thing? Any good? Is it for real or bogus?

Reason I ask is the windows just started popping up all over the place and started a scan.

Re: XP Antivirus 2.4

Never heard of it before.

Comment

Aw crap. If you never heard of it.......

Damned thing just dumped all my cookies so I have to log on to all my forums.

Comment

You might find this entry from the Symantec Security Response Weblog helpful:

Yet Another Site Falls Prey to XP Antivirus
        ... This link, in turn, eventually led to XP Antivirus, an application that exaggerates threats on a computer in order to convince the user to make a purchase ... it continues to show up on other sites, as reported by MSMVP Sandi.
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
          You might find this entry from the Symantec Security Response Weblog helpful:

Yet Another Site Falls Prey to XP Antivirus
          That's just great. It's as bad as getting a real virus. Now how da heck do I get rid of it?

Comment

Okay, nevermind. I got rid of it. Just went into my programs list. Hmmm. An earlier window said I wouldn't be able to uninstall it. Oh well. I'll wait to see if it's completely gone. Geez. The thing lumped all my good cookies into the same pile as the supposedly bad ones. Thanks folks.

Comment

Computer Associates lists the respective registry entries and file names here, which require deletion. If you've used the regedit and global search functions before, it shouldn't be too much hassle. If the previous sentence reads like Russian, I'd suggest using CA's free online scanner.

Comment

Darned thing came back. Windows starting popping up and all sorts of humbug stuff. Wife almost clicked on one of them. Good thing I caught her or I'd have to re-login at all my forum sites. This time, we couldn't find a way to dump it as it didn't show up in our programs listings. Thinkthinkthink. Did a system restore to 2 days ago. Gone and it hasn't been back. Who the hell's the pus that thought up this crap anyway? Lemme at'em, lemme at'em.

Comment

Check your system tray and find out the name of the program running. Then do a right click onto your Start button to bring up the pop up menu and select "Explore".

Find your Local Disc (C and find the WINDOWS subfolder and look for your Prefetch file.

Open the Prefetch file and look for a subfile with the same name as the one you found in your system tray.

Cut that file out and paste it in a safe folder such as a subfolder in your My Documents folder.

Reboot and see if it replicates itself.

The Windows Prefetch folder contains files that is used whenever a computer is rebooted. Verizon likes to use it a lot. Your Add/Remove program won't touch anything in the Prefetch folder and most anti virus programs won't look in there for suspect applications.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Does this help? http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite/XPAntivirus

Comment

If that's my system, I would run a REAL antivirus - update then scan the whole system, I personally use AVG Free 8.0.

Then, I'll run Spybot Search and Destroy, then Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, then will run CCleaner also.
                      "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

Add Spyware Doctor and Ewido to the list. Those two programs catch infections the other three can sometimes miss ... and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                        X