Houseplans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houseplans

can anyone recommend a free software program in either 2d or 3d where you can draw your own house plans? add surfaces and furniture? i've tried several. the easiest was at floorplanner.com. but, when i tried to save it, it went into cyberspace. POOF! just like that. i then tried to access/login to the site, and it wouldn't let me in. it's got to be an easy program, please.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Re: houseplans

Google Sketchup is by far the most powerful freeware available for 3D modeling. Many professional architects use it for creating models and renderings of the buildings they design so the client can visualize what their building will look like when it's done.

It is probably overkill if you just want ideas for painting or arranging furniture in a room. But it is a great tool if you will be designing a house. It has a large library of ready-made components for furniture, appliances, etc.

It will take a few hours to learn the program but there are some helpful tutorials. Then you can start making a 3D model of the building and actually do a virtual walk-through of every room. You can see exactly how a marble countertop would look with hardwood flooring, or anything else you might imagine. Check out an example...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...4b9b45f44f5e21

Comment

Re: houseplans

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
      Google Sketchup is by far the most powerful freeware available for 3D modeling. Many professional architects use it for creating models and renderings of the buildings they design so the client can visualize what their building will look like when it's done.

It is probably overkill if you just want ideas for painting or arranging furniture in a room. But it is a great tool if you will be designing a house. It has a large library of ready-made components for furniture, appliances, etc.

It will take a few hours to learn the program but there are some helpful tutorials. Then you can start making a 3D model of the building and actually do a virtual walk-through of every room. You can see exactly how a marble countertop would look with hardwood flooring, or anything else you might imagine. Check out an example...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...4b9b45f44f5e21
      mahalo. i'll try it. i know exactly what i want my house to look like.
      "chaos reigns within.
      order shall return."

Comment

Re: Houseplans

I love Google SketchUp. It takes a while to figure out the basic user interface, but in no time, you'll be drawing and pulling and raising and punching and... trust me, it's worth learning. At my last job, I built a model of the building we worked in, then made modifications with walls and such (working around fixed pillars) to consider different configurations. When my coworkers saw that you could do a 3-D motion walkthrough of the floor layout, they were floored!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          I love Google SketchUp. It takes a while to figure out the basic user interface, but in no time, you'll be drawing and pulling and raising and punching and... trust me, it's worth learning. At my last job, I built a model of the building we worked in, then made modifications with walls and such (working around fixed pillars) to consider different configurations. When my coworkers saw that you could do a 3-D motion walkthrough of the floor layout, they were floored!
          just downloaded it yesterday and haven't had a chance to start using it. i hope i can figure it out. tried several other programs. some easy some very difficult.
          "chaos reigns within.
          order shall return."

Comment

i've been trying out sketchup and recommended it to someone else. it's not as easy as floorplanner. yet, it's easier than some other programs. i'm not too impressed with the libraries but they will suffice. practice! practice! practice!
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Make sure you visit the Sketchup homepage. They have extended component libraries (bonus packs) you can download to supplement the small library that is automatically installed.

Also check out the Google 3D Warehouse where you can download models and components created by other users. If there is some custom component you want in your model, chances are good someone has already created it.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                Make sure you visit the Sketchup homepage. They have extended component libraries (bonus packs) you can download to supplement the small library that is automatically installed.

Also check out the Google 3D Warehouse where you can download models and components created by other users. If there is some custom component you want in your model, chances are good someone has already created it.

mahalo. i will do that. it's kinda overwhelming, but fun at the same time.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                X