Recommend Shop: Silicone Skin for Cell Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Shop: Silicone Skin for Cell Phone

i dropped my cell phone and it no longer works so i'm using a back up till a new one arrives in the mail. i may be getting more clumbsy as i get older! anyway, to reduce the chance of dropping my cell phone again, i'm thinking about buying a silicone skin cuz i think it would make the phone less slippery.

i've never looked before and i don't know if there's a place that's better than most. i could order something online but i'd hate to pay for shipping. something in town would be great.

something like this for around 5 bucks would be nice:
    http://www.monstech.com/silicone-ski...oke-p-509.html

thanks for any suggestions you might have!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: recommend shop: silicone skin for cell phone

I almost bought one for my Razr and my Treo 700wx but changed my mind on both.

It looks nice however didn't like the feel of it especially since I'm prone to dropping things too. The skin didn't fit tightly enough so the phone kept slipping around inside not allowing the punch outs to align to the keys or the screen. For the Treo it was imperative that the skin didn't move around.

I couldn't find a good enough case for my Treo as most are holsters that require you to remove it from it's case to use. That act alone can cause me to drop my phone. I instead opted for the $5 accidental damage plan and expect to use it one day.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hey, howzit craig! thanks for the info. dang, i assumed it would fit perfectly like a glove! it doesn't??? hmmmm....

did you get the accidental insurance from your carrier?
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
        hey, howzit craig! thanks for the info. dang, i assumed it would fit perfectly like a glove! it doesn't??? hmmmm....

did you get the accidental insurance from your carrier?
        yes I did. Some phones simply cannot be housed in a case.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Dang. I wish I could tell you what brand I got for my iPod, but I think I've tossed the package. It seems to fit well and it's thickness I think help pad any falls. It doesn't slip around in the case, but that may be more of a function of the iPod shape then anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Dang. I wish I could tell you what brand I got for my iPod, but I think I've tossed the package. It seems to fit well and it's thickness I think help pad any falls. It doesn't slip around in the case, but that may be more of a function of the iPod shape then anything else.
            i guess you bought it online?

i'm not sure how it'd work with my cell phone cuz i obviously don't want any of the function keys to be covered but thanks for the idea; maybe i'll try some of those vendor carts at ala moana or go to the apple shop at ala moana to see if it might fit/work....

* late edit: the reviews (2) are old but it appears that the silicone cases suck!
            http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-MotoKr.../dp/B000KXF9VM
            Last edited by shaveice; April 18, 2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              i guess you bought it online?
              CompUSA. So I can't go back and see what I got.

All I can tell you is that it's a one-piece skin, about 1.5mm thick. I stuff the ipod in though the screen hold and pull things into place. It covers everything except the connector, the wheel and the screen. It included a thing on the back so I could wind the earphone onto it.

Comment

I bought a silicone skin for my RAZR a few years ago. It fit nice and I would have left it on but it eventually broke. The weak part, for clamshell type phones, is the hinge. Its too thin at the hinge section so its not going to last. On a candybar type of phone, it would probably last longer.

The only thing I didn't like about silicone skins is that the phone didn't slip in and out of my pocket so easily. But that was a minor issue.

Comment

polycarbonate, baby!

...like cases from cozip or from accessorygeeks.

(not to be confused with its lookalike plastic, less sturdy cousins which cost about half as much as polycarbonate, and are what you're most likely to find in brick & mortar stores or kiosks in hawaii).

i'm very accident prone and over the course of six months, dinged my celly & even managed to get the outside display screen cracked. it was imperative for me to get a case bcs i was on track to break it beyond repair within a year of my getting it. but i kept getting an "out of stock" notice on the pretty polycarb case with crystals in which i would have loved to house my celly. so i ended up picking up a cliphanger and a screen protector while in oregon over the holidays. i've dropped my phone many times since and no (new) cracks or scratches! =P the hooky thing is pretty nifty bcs i can hang it with a good degree of security on a belt loop or purse strap.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hey! I found the case that I got. It's a Jam Case from DLO. You can order from them or check local vendors.

Comment

hey! thanks for the recent posts/info! i'll follow up on the links. (i'm so bummed that i wasted my previous motorola; it wasn't the coolest cell phone but it was a reliable unlocked quad phone that i used in hawaii, thailand, mongolia, etc. the thought of wasting another phone makes me shake my head; hope it doesn't happen and so if i can find a decent case to reduce the shock if i should drop it, it'll be worth it.)

thanks again for the help for this clumsy guy!

Comment

Working...
                      X