Dell Inspiron Laptop Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Inspiron Laptop Problem

If your gf's laptop is running the wireless card manufacturer's utility s/w to manage wireless connections, try disabling the wireless utility at startup by running services.msc and deselecting it. Then make sure Windows zero config is set to Auto so it will manage your wireless card instead.

Reboot, lather, rinse and let us know if that helps. If the connection still drops, you could try uninstalling the wireless card driver from the Device Manager pane (deleting file, too), rebooting then surfing to Dell's support section and d/ling the appropriate fresh driver for your model/OS.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
      If your gf's laptop is running the wireless card manufacturer's utility s/w to manage wireless connections, try disabling the wireless utility at startup by running services.msc and deselecting it. Then make sure Windows zero config is set to Auto so it will manage your wireless card instead.

Reboot, lather, rinse and let us know if that helps. If the connection still drops, you could try uninstalling the wireless card driver from the Device Manager pane (deleting file, too), rebooting then surfing to Dell's support section and d/ling the appropriate fresh driver for your model/OS.

Thanks,I'll try out your suggestion next time she comes over.Another strange tidbit is this. She can access out WiFi spots with no problem- except my WAP.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        The wireless router is not what I'm talking about, it's your wifi adapter. Or does the laptop have built in Wifi through a mini PCI card inside the laptop itself.
        Yup its built into the laptop, the same goes with my mom's Dell laptop.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

From reading your posts it seems that the problem is that there is a reception problem between your WAP and the place your girlfriend normally uses her laptop.

You could try putting a known working setup in that spot to see if that is the issue or not.

Comment

Okay I need to get one thing straight here, you keep referring to your wifi as a WAP. I take that as a Wireless Access Point?

Do you have a WAP attached to a wireless router? Or are we talking only about a wireless router?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Okay
              Do you have a WAP attached to a wireless router? Or are we talking only about a wireless router?
              Its just a wireless router. Nothing terribly special. Just another Wally World special
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                From reading your posts it seems that the problem is that there is a reception problem between your WAP and the place your girlfriend normally uses her laptop.

You could try putting a known working setup in that spot to see if that is the issue or not.

I printed out MixedPlateBroker's excellent suggestion. I'll try out his suggestion when she comes over tomorrow.

I figure its something to do with her laptop. Like I said my mom has no problem accessing the wireless router and she's father away from it >
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron I've been looking at the previous posts and your initial post indicated you keep dropping your internet connection.

There are two steps from your laptop to the internet. One is the network connection between your computer and the router, then the connection from the router to the ISP.

When you drop do you still have a connection to the router? Check your wireless signal. If you show connectivity then the problem is between the router and the modem.

The other day my venerable Belkin wireless router crapped out on me, so I've been using my back up Linksys 802.11b wireless router until I can replace the Belkin. Upon doing so my IBM Thinkpad laptop wouldn't connect online but was showing good signal strength to the router. My wife's Dell laptop connected fine wirelessly, as did my boy's Dell. My other Compaq laptop connected as well.

I figured my IBM wasn't seeing the Modem but could see the router. Here's what I did to establish internet connectivity to my IBM (I'm on it right now).

1) I unplugged the modem, router and turned off my computer
                  2) I turned on the modem to reboot to the ISP's server and establish a connection
                  3) I turned on the wireless router to establish a connection between the modem and router
                  4) I booted up the laptop to establish the connection between the router and the wifi card on my IBM laptop.

Once the laptop detected the wireless router's signal, I connected to it. Since the laptop didn't know the IP address for the modem it couldn't see it despite seeing the router.

Once that chain was established the IBM Thinkpad was able to get onto the internet.

Try powering up all those devices in that order. Let the modem and the router stay off for about 15-seconds then plug them in, in that sequence, waiting another 15-seconds between each device being powered up.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advise, Craig. If the problems crop again I'll use your and Mixed Plate Brokers suggestions to help resolve the issue. She didn't have
                    any problems yesterday. So I guess the changes I did must've solved the problem.

(I selected the OpenDNS servers to be used as her primary DNS and fixed the static IP problem on the NIC adapter to DHCP).
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

I would look for updated NIC drivers for the problem laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X