Which online fax service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which online fax service?

Okay, great and wise tech experts. Which online fax service is the best to download?
    Windows compatible, please. (And you Apple-ites quit snorting in derision; I can hear you.) Thanks!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Which online fax service?

Maxemail.com
    No downloading of nahting. Well, to receive...dunno about sending.
    Sincerely, untechietutusnortingapple-ite

Comment

I use J2. Paying customer for years, now. Receive faxes and voicemails by e-mail, and send out using a local client (yes, Windows version available). They had an 808 number which was key for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Sincerely, untechietutusnortingapple-ite
        Very funny! And thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        I use J2. Paying customer for years, now. Receive faxes and voicemails by e-mail, and send out using a local client (yes, Windows version available). They had an 808 number which was key for me.
        Thanks Ryan. j2 also owns the eFax service, I think. It's $3 per month cheaper than j2, probably because that price didn't include the voicemail feature that I don't need. And eFax has 808 numbers too.

Comment

i use MYFAX......its 10.00 per month. it works pretty well for me. i work with Home depot and lowes and they only send out work orders via fax....it was easier and cheaper than buying and maintaining a fax or upgrading software that doesnt seem supported anymore.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

For about a year now I use eFax, basic service -- paid because I needed the local area code. Straight to email, in PDF form and quick to fax out too.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

I've used Efax as well with great results. You can go both inbound and outbound. Inbound arrives as an attachment to your email. I chose to send to a web based email account such as Yahoo so I could receive faxes anywhere there's a computer online.

For outbound I never bothered using Efax, I just bought an all in one printer and outbound faxed documents that way. It's easier.

The benefits of an online fax service is that you never have to worry about paper jams that can prevent you from receiving that all-important faxed order form or invoice. Also if you have nosey co-workers and you need to receive confidential or proprietary faxes and share an office facsimile machine, you don't have to worry using an online fax service. Plus you don't have to wait around for an inbound fax to arrive to complete your work. You can go home and check inbound faxes and work that way.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 6, 2008, 10:18 PM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I've used Efax as well with great results. You can go both inbound and outbound. Inbound arrives as an attachment to your email. I chose to send to a web based email account such as Yahoo so I could receive faxes anywhere there's a computer online.
                For outbound I never bothered using Efax, I just bought an all in one printer and outbound faxed documents that way. It's easier.
                We've been using free eFax for years-- flawless incoming. They seem to be one of the few free services that hasn't "upgraded" themselves into a complete mess.

Outgoing we've just been using a scanner & Windows Fax Wizard. Flawless for local calls but extraordinarily painful for long-distance credit-card calls. It's probably easier to use a cheap dedicated desktop fax machine for those... one of the very few perks I miss about my working days.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by infinitypro View Post
                  For about a year now I use eFax, basic service -- paid because I needed the local area code. Straight to email, in PDF form and quick to fax out too.
                  Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I've used Efax as well with great results.
                  Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  We've been using free eFax for years-- flawless incoming. They seem to be one of the few free services that hasn't "upgraded" themselves into a complete mess.
                  Thanks, everyone. It looks like eFax is indeed the winner. But Nords, you're still getting it free? They've got the usual 30-day free trial offer, but after that it's $16.95 a month.
                  Again, thanks to everyone who jumped in. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Thanks, everyone. It looks like eFax is indeed the winner. But Nords, you're still getting it free? They've got the usual 30-day free trial offer, but after that it's $16.95 a month.
                    I'm not sure when we signed up but it's been at least three years... maybe longer. The fax number is a 248 area code so perhaps that's why it's free.

We occasionally get offers to convert us to 808 but that has a monthly fee. We don't care and the people who fax us don't care either. So we've stayed with the 248 number.

I think at $16.95/month it's cheaper to go buy a real fax machine or leave the computer in "Receive fax" mode.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Wow...$16.95/mo.? With maxemail.com I have a toll-free number (monthly fee) which also incurs a 10¢ per received page charge (I receive only, not send). Even then, my average monthly cost (for 2007) was $9.25.

I've had this service for several years so it appears I'm grandfathered in to an earlier pricing structure. Still the current rate for a toll-free number is: $9.95/mo. - $24.00/qtr. - $84.00/yr.
                      (still 10¢/page, received - now includes sending 100 pages per month free)

I also use this service as a scanner. I fax myself hard copy documents that I prefer to reside on my computer. Faster and easier (for me!) than using an actual scanner. The resultant PDFs are only fax quality but that's not an issue for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X