system tray pop up message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system tray pop up message

Man I'm getting annoyed at my System Tray repeatedly telling me my signal strength is "Very Good" to "Excellent".

Anyone know how to disable that pop up?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: system tray pop up message

Is this something a Windows OS is doing, which by the way are you running XP or Vista or does it seem to be something from the vendor of the wireless device you are using?

And oh yeah, I am not much of a laptop/wireless type of person.

Comment

It an XP thing. It's those stupid yellow pop up windows telling you stuff like, "Your Anti-virus is out of date, click here to correct", to "Updates are ready, click here to install" you know those annoying pop ups.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        It an XP thing. It's those stupid yellow pop up windows telling you stuff like, "Your Anti-virus is out of date, click here to correct", to "Updates are ready, click here to install" you know those annoying pop ups.
        I sure am glad you asked, and I'm looking forward to an answer too. I detest those little incessant SysTray popups!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It sounds like you need to disable balloon tips from popping up.

1. First download TweakUI 2.10

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

2. After installation, swing over to Task Bar & Star Menu options.

3. Un check Enable Balloon Tips
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks, but I'm wondering if I can get to it thru the System Configuration Utility accessed thru the run command MSCONFIG.

Comment

Thanks, but I'm wondering if I can get to it thru the System Configuration Utility accessed thru the run command MSCONFIG.
              Nope nada unfortunately, it requires a system tweak. Its one of the many Windows supposedly helpful warnings. But in actuality it is rather annoying.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

It's those stupid yellow pop up windows telling you stuff like, "Your Anti-virus is out of date, click here to correct", to "Updates are ready, click here to install" you know those annoying pop ups.
                Open Control Panel/Security Center, then in the left pane click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me" and uncheck whichever ones that bug you.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah View Post
                  [snip]
                  <F A I N T>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

<F A I N T>
                    Nice to see I've still got the touch.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah View Post
                      Nice to see I've still got the touch.
                      Oh, you're still "touched," all right.

Comment

IT IS ALIVE!!!! Oh man I thought you dropped off the face of the earth. Nice to see you're still lurking Anyway I tried what you suggested unfortunately there's nothing to check off regarding signal strength of your wireless signal.

Mahalo anyway.

Comment

Anyway I tried what you suggested unfortunately there's nothing to check off regarding signal strength of your wireless signal.

Mahalo anyway.
                          You actually have two separate issues going on here. The issue I addressed was for your, "It's those stupid yellow pop up windows telling you stuff like, "Your Anti-virus is out of date, click here to correct", to "Updates are ready, click here to install" you know those annoying pop ups." Unchecking those options will cause those messages to cease.

By the way, those stupid messages won't seem so stupid once your computer gets whacked by a virus that's managed to worm its way past your obsolete virus definitions.

Comment

The updates for virus protection was just an example of what I meant for pop ups, the problem I'm having is on my IBM Thinkpad is the message for signal strength keeps popping up wayyyy to often, like every minute.

I don't have a problem with anti-virus as they're automatically updated anyway and since if I do get a virus that AVG can't fix, I can take care of that myself.

Funny though as none of my other computers have that problem.

Comment

the problem I'm having is on my IBM Thinkpad is the message for signal strength keeps popping up wayyyy to often, like every minute.

Funny though as none of my other computers have that problem.
                              You mean the change of signal strength is only on your IBM Thinkpad? Another laptop in the same spot does not give you changing signal strength status message?

As far as surpressing those signal strength status messages right now I don't have a clue. I checked one laptop and I didn't see any obvious way to surpressing those status messages.

Comment

Working...
                              X