Windows XP SP3 and File/Print Sharing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP SP3 and File/Print Sharing Problem

I have a problem with sharing files and a printer between my computer running Windows XP SP3 and my mom's laptop running Windows XP SP2. I've repeatedly tried the network configuration wizard a bunch of times.I've also renamed both computers numerous times,pinged from both computers (it timed out), turned off the Windows firewall.Nothing works at all, I can't see the shared files on my moms laptop (from my computer). I can see my computer from my mom's laptop, but I can't access it. The only changes I did to my computer was install XP SP3 and a new network interface card. I had no problems with file and printer sharing when I had XP SP2 on my computer. I would go back to SP2, but its a huge hassle to reinstall XP.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Windows XP SP3 and File/Print Sharing Problem

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207600950

"Within hours of its release, Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Service Pack 3 for Windows XP began drawing hundreds of complaints from users who claim the update is wreaking havoc on their PCs.
    The problems with XP SP3, according to posters on Microsoft's Windows XP message board, range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes. . . ."

Comment

So far you mention 2 computers running Windows XP, one at service pack 2 (SP2, a laptop) and the other at service pack 3 (SP3, I assume a desktop computer).
      1. Are these computers running XP Professional or XP Home?
      2. Are the names of these computers unique? (in Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name)?
      3. I take it the printer is located on the computer running SP3?
      4. Is the computer running SP3 also hosting files?
      5. Are you using or are you familar with the concept of a network drive?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        1. Are these computers running XP Professional or XP Home?
        2. Are the names of these computers unique? (in Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name)?
        3. I take it the printer is located on the computer running SP3?
        4. Is the computer running SP3 also hosting files?
        5. Are you using or are you familar with the concept of a network drive?
        1.Both are running XP Home
        2. Yes I made sure the names of the computers were different
        3. The printer is attached to my desktop computer
        4. Ditto
        5. Sort of, but my mom needs the ability to print off my printer
        The Kona Blog

Comment

On the computer that runs SP3, if you do:

Start --> Settings --> Network Connections

Pick your new network connection, click on Properties and then verify the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked.

Also what happen to the old network connection on that computer? By any chance is that available and working?

Comment

Also kind of wondering about the computer that host the printer. If you go into the Printers and Faxes window under Settings, does the printer in question's icon still has the hand under the printer?

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              I have a problem with sharing files and a printer between my computer running Windows XP SP3 and my mom's laptop running Windows XP SP2. I've repeatedly tried the network configuration wizard a bunch of times.I've also renamed both computers numerous times,pinged from both computers (it timed out), turned off the Windows firewall.Nothing works at all, I can't see the shared files on my moms laptop (from my computer). I can see my computer from my mom's laptop, but I can't access it. The only changes I did to my computer was install XP SP3 and a new network interface card. I had no problems with file and printer sharing when I had XP SP2 on my computer. I would go back to SP2, but its a huge hassle to reinstall XP.
              Originally posted by Adri View Post
              http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207600950
              "Within hours of its release, Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Service Pack 3 for Windows XP began drawing hundreds of complaints from users who claim the update is wreaking havoc on their PCs.
              The problems with XP SP3, according to posters on Microsoft's Windows XP message board, range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes. . . ."
              The problem may not be with your computers or your configuration, and it may not be able to be achieved with SP3.

Is the hassle of reinstalling XP worse than the hassle of waiting a month or two for a SP3.1 patch? Is there anything in SP3 that makes it a compelling upgrade?
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Speaking of "SP 3.1" patches, I don't know if any of these problems apply to you, but here's an excerpt from a Komando.com e-mail dated May 20 2008:

One thing to watch for is Internet Explorer. SP3 updates IE 6 and 7.
                If you have IE 7, you cannot uninstall it after applying SP3. You cannot go back to IE 6. SP3 will not work with IE 8 beta. If you have IE 8 beta, uninstall it before installing SP3.

There have been other problems. Some people have been unable to boot their PCs. Or they get stuck in an endless reboot cycle.
                In this case, it wasn't Microsoft's fault. This is a Hewlett-Packard issue.
                HP sells computers with either Intel or AMD processors. It installs the operating system using a disk image. The disk image was created on an Intel machine. It came with Intel specific drivers and registry settings.
                This Intel-based disk image was installed on AMD-powered systems. There apparently were no problems until SP3 came along. After SP3 was installed, the computers tried to load the Intel drivers. Only there is no Intel processor for them to act on. The result: The computer crashes. Or, it reboots continuously.

HP has recently issued a fix for the problem. Download HP's Upgrade Utility (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN) before installing SP3. It should prevent booting issues.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Oh, great. They got the folk who did Vista to work on XP now.

Let me know when they come out with SP4 (and not by the Vista folk).
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

PC World just posted an article pertaining to the problem Konaguy is experiencing. Here's the link, http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_dnxnws

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                      PC World just posted an article pertaining to the problem Konaguy is experiencing. Here's the link, http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_dnxnws
                      Thanks for sharing the article. It sounds EXACTLY what my problem is. The strange part though is this. I downgraded back to SP2 and I still wasn't able to get the file/print sharing to work ?
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Konaguy. Sorry for posting this so late but, did you use the Windows XP system restore utility? The Win XP SP3 installation should have generated a restore point. If you turned off this function, you are out of luck. For those of you who don't know how access system restore, click on Start, move the mouse cursor to "All programs", then move the mouse cursor to "Accessories", then move the mouse cursor to "System Tools", then click on "System Restore." When you get to screen that displays a calendar, click on "bold" dates to display what was installed on that date. To be on the safe side, select a date before the installation of the XP SP3 patch. After you have finished the restore, don't forget to install updates for your various programs (i.E. anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                          Konaguy. Sorry for posting this so late but, did you use the Windows XP system restore utility?
                          I usually turn off the system restore functionality. So I guess I'm out of luck in that regards. I even did a clean install with XP SP2. I had problems even when I did that sharing files/printer.It gave me such a headache, I decided to forgo trying to figure out whats wrong.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

For those who are looking for more info about Windows XP SP3, a blogger on the site, bleepingcomputer.com has assemble links to sites that discuss the problems with SP3. Don't know if the info will help those who has encountered problems like Konaguy but, it's a good place to start. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

Comment

aaron,

i don't know if this will help, but it may be worth a try...

In OSX we have a service called Bonjour, which automatically find computers, drives, and printers on the network, and makes them useable.

They have Bonjour for Windows

might want to take a look.
                              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                              X