Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

attempting to build a computer with no knowledge base...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: attempting to build a computer with no knowledge base...help!

I'm installing both Open Office and MS Office 2003 because this computer will eventually go bye bye when my boy leaves the nest in a couple of years. This way in the event something goes "oops" with the MS suite, he has a backup available immediately.

Since I wanted to try Open Office to see how good it was so I decided my boy will be the guinea pig!

On the subject of the build, last night I was updating some of the MS critical updates for WinXP Pro and during two of the downloads I got a virus detection and removal notice from my Norton Anti Virus software. After I cleared the screen, I noticed I couldn't complete my MS downloads.

As a matter of fact I couldn't get thru to any URL! I did a ping test in the "Command" screen and was able to get to the website but not so using either IE or Opera as a browser. I think my anti-virus became corrupted during the MS download (was updated). I tried a process that allowed me to remove a virus was supposed to be removed whereby you turn off your system restore, reboot, do a virus scan, remove the virus then turn on system restore. I just completed the scan but it didn't detect anything.

I may have to reinstall a fresh copy of my anti virus software (Norton 2004) if the copy on the HD is bad. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP but if nothing works, I just may have to. Otherwise the computer's running fine.

I wish Microsoft would put all of the current updates on a CD that can be purchased so people like myself on dial up can update our OS to some recent point and do the more current updates online. They put out SP2 on a CD-ROM why didn't they put the rest of the critical updates on it or another CD and make that available.

Anyway looks like another long night of downloading tonight!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      I'm installing both Open Office and MS Office 2003 because this computer will eventually go bye bye when my boy leaves the nest in a couple of years. This way in the event something goes "oops" with the MS suite, he has a backup available immediately.

Since I wanted to try Open Office to see how good it was so I decided my boy will be the guinea pig!

On the subject of the build, last night I was updating some of the MS critical updates for WinXP Pro and during two of the downloads I got a virus detection and removal notice from my Norton Anti Virus software. After I cleared the screen, I noticed I couldn't complete my MS downloads.

As a matter of fact I couldn't get thru to any URL! I did a ping test in the "Command" screen and was able to get to the website but not so using either IE or Opera as a browser. I think my anti-virus became corrupted during the MS download (was updated). I tried a process that allowed me to remove a virus was supposed to be removed whereby you turn off your system restore, reboot, do a virus scan, remove the virus then turn on system restore. I just completed the scan but it didn't detect anything.

I may have to reinstall a fresh copy of my anti virus software (Norton 2004) if the copy on the HD is bad. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP but if nothing works, I just may have to. Otherwise the computer's running fine.

I wish Microsoft would put all of the current updates on a CD that can be purchased so people like myself on dial up can update our OS to some recent point and do the more current updates online. They put out SP2 on a CD-ROM why didn't they put the rest of the critical updates on it or another CD and make that available.

Anyway looks like another long night of downloading tonight!
      You can order a CD from Microsoft that has all of the updates and SP2 (on two seperate discs).

If I can find those, then maybe I can send you a copy. (where are you downloading the updates from? I hope its from MS's main site)

BTW, since you like free software, ditch norton, and get AVG AV. Its free, and sometimes, it better than Norton.

And get a firewall like ZoneAlarm's free firewall.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of freeware but I use it when applicable. The Norton anti-virus package I bought was the 5-user pack (five licenses). I think I will dump it as Norton has allowed a Trojan to infect at least three of my computers at some point or other. I tried the AVG and it worked then it too fell to a trojan with the latest updates. I may try this one advertised in PC Magazine called NOD 32, "Record winner of the Virus Bulletin 100% Award" whatever that is. But they claim 100% as compared to Norton missing 50% on WinXP.

I tried ZoneAlarm and quite frankly I find it a bit confusing so I use WinXP's built in firewall.

You know it funny you mentioned where I was downloading the updates from because in the past I simply went to Tools>Windows Update and downloaded right there. This time during one of the downloads, the screen took me to a site that looked close but different from the MS site and it even asked me to click onto a "mirror" site for the updates. That's when Norton started detecting a trojan. After I couldn't get back into the Windows update website, I tried MSN and got this really funky substitute version. I tried Yahoo and same thing a somewhat different version appeared. At that point I think my computer got hijacked so I immediately shut down the system and am now running both Norton and Ad-Aware in safe mode offline. Ad-Aware caught one spyware that it didn't catch in the normal Windows screen. I'm still scanning in safe mode with Norton.

If scanning doesn't detect anything in safe mode my next step is to reinstall Norton then go directly to Windows Update and update the OS before I update Norton. I did it the other way and I got hit while updating the OS. If all that doesn't work, I'll reinstall a fresh copy of WinXP and hope for the best.

I would really appreciate a copy of the earlier updates for WinXP. I'm running XP Pro. Private message me by clicking onto my name in this post and lets talk! Thanks

Comment

Craig they did put all the Pre SP2 XP security updates on to a CD.It came out in February 2004. Unfourtnately it is not
          available anymore.

But I have a solution for you. If you can get a hold of SP2
          update CD it will include all the previous security updates.

Better yet you can slipstream SP2 with your XP CD making the
          installation easier by reducing all the files on to one CD.
          I did this by using this program http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html.

If you want to walk on the wild side, you can use that same
          program to eliminate Windows components you do not need.
          I did this and reduced the installation from 584MB with SP2
          to 188MB.

Bear in mind do not remove :
          1. IE Browser [Can't access Windows Update]
          2. IE Core [Cannot activate XP]
          3. Out of the box experience [Cannot activate XP]
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

That's cool! Cuz I got the SP2 cd. I ordered it online (free) from MS because with dial up I'd rather listen to Waioli Kai (American Asylum message board) rant for an entire evening than downloading SP2 online.

I'm hesitant on using the SP2 cd because of all the problems associated with SP 2. Can I selectively download from the CD without SP 2?

If possible this would help me immensely!

Comment

That's cool! Cuz I got the SP2 cd. I ordered it online (free) from MS because with dial up I'd rather listen to Waioli Kai (American Asylum message board) rant for an entire evening than downloading SP2 online.

I'm hesitant on using the SP2 cd because of all the problems associated with SP 2. Can I selectively download from the CD without SP 2?

If possible this would help me immensely!
              The previous security update CD you could select what updates to install.
              I believe on the SP2 CD that is not possible, as it just has XP SP2 on there.
              To be honest I have run XP SP2 on two different computers and never ran
              into a problem. As far as I read the problems were related to 3rd party software not playing nice with the update.

Essentially if I were you I would install SP2 it would secure your computer
              better, adds a pop-up blocker to IE, and will save time in downloading.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                The previous security update CD you could select what updates to install.
                I believe on the SP2 CD that is not possible, as it just has XP SP2 on there.
                To be honest I have run XP SP2 on two different computers and never ran
                into a problem. As far as I read the problems were related to 3rd party software not playing nice with the update.

Essentially if I were you I would install SP2 it would secure your computer
                better, adds a pop-up blocker to IE, and will save time in downloading.
                it had problems when it first came out with not only 3rd party stuff but also Microsoft's own such as .net and SMS and others. we had problems with these at the company that i work for.
                Fair and Balanced

Comment

Problems? Okay I'll start...Here's today's Craig Watanabe computer tip of the day: Never install SP2 if you went cheap and decided to use a hacker's bootlegged WinXP Pro Disk. Yep got a hand on one of those "cracked" XP Pro with corporate reg key since I didn't buy a legit copy when I purchased my barebones kit (gotta call New Egg to see if they'll honor a purchase without hardware since I already bought the hardware).

Well SP2 went in flawlessly and when I rebooted it hung right after the bios. I did a fresh install again and it hung once more. Lesson learned, SP2 will search and disable your bootlegged Windows product if you download it into your system. At least that's what it did to me.

You're right about the SP2 disk from MS. You cannot select which updates you want. You load it in and it takes over from start to finish.

Now I'm afraid to download this disk in my legit computer. SP2 is good as they say but gosh after going thru what I went thru I don't want to take that chance.

There's this place recommended by Tucows called Megasoft Discounts at http://www.cheapsoftz.com/microsoft.html

These guys will as I paste their statement:

No shipping necessary! All listed software is available for immediate download - after you submit your order, you will be given access to our download servers. Software comes in as a single ISO image (.iso), or WinZIP/WinRAR archive. You are receiving FULL version of software.

All our products are covered by an unconditional 60-day money-back guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your product in the first 60 days after purchase, simply contact our customer service team and we'll make it right, or we will arrange for a return and full refund, less shipping and handling (if applicable).

Why so cheap!?
                  Unlike retailers, we do not sell software in a fancy box, with printed documentation, etc., meaning we do not shell out on CD manufacturing. The software itself is only what you get - available for download right after purchase!

Apparently you download a compressed file of whatever software you want (Windows XP Home full version) and they include the trial copy of Nero 6.3 Ultra CD burning software. You burn a copy of that CD and viola, your legit copy of Windows XP Home for $49.

So my question is: Is this website legit? I mean $49 for an OEM legitimate copy of Windows XP Home full-blown edition? That's too good to be true, and you should check out their full software selection including games, utilities and others.

Comment

Problems? Okay I'll start...Here's today's Craig Watanabe computer tip of the day: Never install SP2 if you went cheap and decided to use a hacker's bootlegged WinXP Pro Disk. Yep got a hand on one of those "cracked" XP Pro with corporate reg key since I didn't buy a legit copy when I purchased my barebones kit (gotta call New Egg to see if they'll honor a purchase without hardware since I already bought the hardware).

Well SP2 went in flawlessly and when I rebooted it hung right after the bios. I did a fresh install again and it hung once more. Lesson learned, SP2 will search and disable your bootlegged Windows product if you download it into your system. At least that's what it did to me.

You're right about the SP2 disk from MS. You cannot select which updates you want. You load it in and it takes over from start to finish.

Now I'm afraid to download this disk in my legit computer. SP2 is good as they say but gosh after going thru what I went thru I don't want to take that chance.

There's this place recommended by Tucows called Megasoft Discounts at http://www.cheapsoftz.com/microsoft.html

These guys will as I paste their statement:

No shipping necessary! All listed software is available for immediate download - after you submit your order, you will be given access to our download servers. Software comes in as a single ISO image (.iso), or WinZIP/WinRAR archive. You are receiving FULL version of software.

All our products are covered by an unconditional 60-day money-back guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your product in the first 60 days after purchase, simply contact our customer service team and we'll make it right, or we will arrange for a return and full refund, less shipping and handling (if applicable).

Why so cheap!?
                    Unlike retailers, we do not sell software in a fancy box, with printed documentation, etc., meaning we do not shell out on CD manufacturing. The software itself is only what you get - available for download right after purchase!

Apparently you download a compressed file of whatever software you want (Windows XP Home full version) and they include the trial copy of Nero 6.3 Ultra CD burning software. You burn a copy of that CD and viola, your legit copy of Windows XP Home for $49.

So my question is: Is this website legit? I mean $49 for an OEM legitimate copy of Windows XP Home full-blown edition? That's too good to be true, and you should check out their full software selection including games, utilities and others.
                    Lesson learned (you're the second person I know locally who did that).

BTW, get the OS from a reputable place like newegg.com. I rather spend the $100 for a legit copy than from some place that.

And sorry, I can't find the CD with the updates.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                    X