Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated's Digital Workflow

"Eleven guys. Eleven versions out of focus."

-- Steve Fine's (SI's Director of Photography) frustration with his photographers' shots of a Patriots touchdown during the first half of Super Bowl XXXVIII

Eamon Hickey wrote an interesting story (way back in 2004) describing how SI took 16,183 digital photos on Super Bowl Sunday and processed them in time for printing Tuesday morning. It goes into a lot of technical details. Makes you realize how far technology has come in 4 years. I'd love to read another article like this, but set in 2008.

"Staff photographer Bob Rosato's collection of gear is fairly typical. To a football game he takes four or five EOS-1D bodies and 600mm f/4, 400mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 50mm f/1.4 lenses. For basketball, he adds five or six EOS-1Ds cameras and dispenses with the 400 and 600mm lenses. Of the ten or so camera bodies that he takes to a basketball game, many are of course mounted overhead or around the basket for remote operation."

*whistle*

I'll just have to settle for the stock 35-210mm f/2.8-4.8 lens on my dinky Canon A720IS PowerShot
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Sports Illustrated's Digital Workflow

silly me. forgot to link the article. time for beddy-bye.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6453-6821

*yawn*
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

pretty basic for me too. Nikon D40, AFS Nikkor 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED lens and SB-600 Flash.

I couldn't imagine having to set up with all those "toys"
      -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
        I couldn't imagine having to set up with all those "toys"
        All I can say, Kungpao, is if I was responsible for shipping these boxes on an airplane, I would hate to watch how the baggage handlers throw luggage onto the plane

"

Comment

Working...
        X