Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Catastrophic Drive Failure

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    I think one big problem is how people use them. Customers want quiet external hard drives, which means no fans to cool them off. After a few minutes of non-use, these drives spin themselves down, to avoid excess heat. The problem comes when people use these external drives as their main hard drive, always reading and writing data to them, never giving them a chance to rest. Without fans, they're meant for only occasional use (to back data up at the end of the day).
    So far, I've just used them for archival storage, rather than daily backups; meaning - once a huge digital audio project is done, all the tracks, files, mixes and related data gets dumped over to one (like a 350 GB drive), then moved off-site. That's in addition to all the files living on a server, as well as burned to CDs. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that digital data should be considered non-existent until it resides in at least two (if not three) different places.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      While the topic of backups is being bounced around, what is the easiest and reasonably priced backup to use for a home computer (PC) that holds tax records, a ton of word documents (work related), and endless emails?
      • Road Runner Safe Storage is free.99 if you're already a subscriber. Automated, encrypted backups up to 250MB (more capacity avail for $, natch).

• Geek Squad Online Data Backup is $49/yr for 25GB, features better encryption, triple redundancy and the ability to selectively share files w/others via e-mail.

• The cheapest (per byte) method of backing your data up on site would be to put together your own external hdd. A $73 enclosure* and a $90 HDD* nets you a 500GB ext hdd that flows up to 3Gb/sec over eSATA. Faster than Firewire or USB 2.0, this solution also runs cooler and more reliably than your typical off-the-rack ext hdd.

*Prices at time of posting.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

The Verdict

It's dead.

The company could not retrieve any information off the drive. So.. we rebuild a new. Painful lesson learned for my boss.

We have the option of sending the drive to another company but our pc guys opinion is that it's a long shot.
        -kp!

Comment

Ouch.

At least you won't have a hard time convincing them to implement a backup procedure now

Thanks for the update.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Ouch.

At least you won't have a hard time convincing them to implement a backup procedure now

Thanks for the update.
            haha... i spent 5 minutes setting it up with the guy remotely right after he called.
            -kp!

Comment

Working...
            X