X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable vs DSL comparison (Nov 2007)

Here's an interesting comparison of Roadrunner and HT DSL:

http://www.ptosis.netfirms.com/ac.com/DSL.html

The only limit here is that they tested it from Chinatown (far from where I live) and that the comparison is aging by the day.

I've been tempted to switch to DSL to save money and this comparison validates that thought. However, I think our phone lines are quite old. Will Hawaiian Tel pull new wires from our house to the phone pole if so?

Re: Cable vs DSL comparison (Nov 2007)

Ewa Beach cheapest DSL, phone line circa 1967

May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Yes, that's interesting. I just tried one of the test sites mentioned, bandwidthplace, and got 1.75 megabits per second, which I guess is download speed (it didn't say). I'm using Hawaiian Telcom DSL that was $30/month for me until a a short time ago when I switched to the "Mychoice Bundle" to save a little. My modem/router (a Westell 327W supplied by Hawaiian Tel) claims that my rates are: "DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 3360 Kbits/sec by 448 Kbits/sec".

When I signed up for DSL a year ago, Hawaiian Tel did not do any rewiring, in fact no one showed up at my house at all. They sent me the Westell modem in the mail and apparently just turned on my DSL service at their end. No phone company person has visited me in the 14 years I've lived in this house, and the wiring might be substantially older, since the house is over 60 years old. But I'm only a few blocks from the telco substation (or whatever they call them) in Waimanalo that is at the far end of the polo field.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        Ewa Beach cheapest DSL, phone line circa 1967

Wow, that's great speeds considering your plan.

Comment

I looked at the speed test results. It pretty much cements my opinion that most speed tests are unreliable. You should be getting much higher speeds on the tiers tested. In my view, the only reliable tests are from any NDT server and speedtest.net.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I also think that speed tests does not tell a whole lot because it doesn't take into account a lot of factors. I don't think the comparison is false though.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
              I also think that speed tests does not tell a whole lot because it doesn't take into account a lot of factors. I don't think the comparison is false though.
              Well I look at this way if its not accurate for either ISP the data should be taken with a grain of salt.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                I've been tempted to switch to DSL to save money and this comparison validates that thought. However, I think our phone lines are quite old. Will Hawaiian Tel pull new wires from our house to the phone pole if so?
                They'll do tests first. Then send a technician to go over the wires, from the central office to your landline.

If you're lucky to have been paying for Inside Wire Maintenance Plan (look over your phone bill), they'll do it for free if there is a need to replace the phone wires.

I've already posted my problems in another thread, and since the cause have been identified (an old piece of RF filter installed on the line near the pole) and resolved, I haven't had any problem since.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                X