Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Universal Adapters

Long time no post!

The motherboard on my last machine died in 2005, so I replaced the entire machine (it was time anyway -- moved from 6gb storage to 160gb). I kept the old tower with the two 3gb drives in it. Now I find a need to retrieve some folders off the old drives. I think they're 3.5" IDE or SATA drives -- they're enclosed in a 8" long and 3" wide steel case with ribbon cable extruding.

Does anyone know if the USB Universal adapters like those sold by CoolGear and others would allow me to remove the old drives from the old tower, attach the ribbon cable to the new whatsit, attach the whatsit to the newish machine via USB port and copy the folders I want? I'd like to do this with minimal hassle, if possible. The adapters seem to include power supplies to get the old drives running, which seems to be a plus.

Has anyone tried this?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: USB Universal Adapters

Since you said they are only 3gb each with ribbon cable, they are not sata drives. If they are totally enclosed, they could be SCSI drives in a cage of some sort. SCSI drives were usually used in industrial computers and servers. If you have a conventional home pc they are probably IDE drives which, if they are still working, could be installed into an external USB case such as you described. If they are SCSI drives, you would need an appropriate controller card. Somewhat more troubling but not impossible. If you post a picture of the old drives in the enclosure, then that would be helpful. PM me if you want to.

Comment

It might be helpful if the drive's company and model number were given. And a picture would be helpful.

Comment

If I can get the CD-ROM cage open to remove it I'll be able to find the name and number of the hard drive. It's got some really tiny Phillips-head screws holding it to the cage, and my standard Phillips screwdrivers appear to be too big, while my eyeglass Phillips screwdriver is too small. Nothing's ever easy.

It's definitely IDE; it's got the standard 40-pin cable attached.

Comment

An update: for $19.99 I figured it was worth a shot, so I just ordered this from Amazon.

I searched around Circuit City and Best Buy today to no avail; closest they've got are $60 hard drive enclosures, which are meant to be permanent additions to your desktop. Do not want.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
            An update: for $19.99 I figured it was worth a shot, so I just ordered this from Amazon.

I searched around Circuit City and Best Buy today to no avail; closest they've got are $60 hard drive enclosures, which are meant to be permanent additions to your desktop. Do not want.
            ======================
            That looks about right...Good luck.

Comment

That’s an interesting adapter you bought. It looks like you can use it for both desk top and lap top hard drives.

One thing to look out for is if your hard drive has an exposed circuit board or other delicate components you need to be careful not to damage anything. But that’s not a big concern if you are just planning to copy files then remove it.

When I bought the new computer I pulled the hard drive out of the old computer and plugged it into the second hard drive slot as a slave (instructions for jumper settings were on the case of the hard drive). Then I just copied all the files to the new hard drive and then put the old hard drive back into the old computer.

When my laptop died I pulled the hard drive and used an adapter I bought off ebay to install it into the desktop to copy the files over.

Both operations were quick and easy.
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                That’s an interesting adapter you bought. It looks like you can use it for both desk top and lap top hard drives.

When I bought the new computer I pulled the hard drive out of the old computer and plugged it into the second hard drive slot as a slave (instructions for jumper settings were on the case of the hard drive).
                That's easy enough if you're accustomed to mucking about with the innards, and I thought about it. But I'm way out of practice doing that stuff and didn't feel comfortable with getting the ribbon cables and settings right, particularly when the little switches are as poorly (and tinily!) marked. Older eyes, you know?

Oh, and yes. It's meant for recovery operations, really. I saw reviews from people who work on computers for a living who swear they couldn't do without this kind of gadget.
                Last edited by Linkmeister; July 27, 2008, 12:07 PM. Reason: Add recovery info

Comment

At first glance the Sabrent USB-DSC5 seems to be the kind of device for those short-term usage of a disk drive, just long enough to get the files you need.

While the hard drive enclosures would be useful for having the old hard drives for the long term usage.

I would be interested to know how the Sabrent USB-DSC5 works out for you.

Comment

Brando makes a lot of stuff like this. check this out:

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00516

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_list.p...015&cat_id=032
                    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      At first glance the Sabrent USB-DSC5 seems to be the kind of device for those short-term usage of a disk drive, just long enough to get the files you need.

While the hard drive enclosures would be useful for having the old hard drives for the long term usage.

I would be interested to know how the Sabrent USB-DSC5 works out for you.
                      Yeah, if the old drive(s) were 40 or 80GB you'd want the enclosure, I'd think. Much simpler to just treat the situation as though you're adding another hard drive. In this case I'm really just pulling old client bills off to get a complete record. I don't care about old e-mail (if I haven't needed it in the last three years. . .)

I'll advise when it gets here and I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                        ===============================
                        A bunch of questions......
                        Have you ever ordered something from this company?
                        Are they in Hong Kong?
                        How much is shipping?
                        Are there customs duty fees?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                          That's easy enough if you're accustomed to mucking about with the innards, and I thought about it. But I'm way out of practice doing that stuff and didn't feel comfortable with getting the ribbon cables and settings right, particularly when the little switches are as poorly (and tinily!) marked. Older eyes, you know?

Oh, and yes. It's meant for recovery operations, really. I saw reviews from people who work on computers for a living who swear they couldn't do without this kind of gadget.
                          Oh I know all about the older eyes thing believe me. As for the mucking with the innards, I only do that when I buy a new computer as a rule, it’s not hard at all.

But I admit your solution looks like it could be easier than trying to pry the cover off the computer. Let us know how it works out for you.
                          "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                          Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                            But I admit your solution looks like it could be easier than trying to pry the cover off the computer. Let us know how it works out for you.
                            Um. I still have to take the cover off. The drives are internal and not easily gotten at, more's the pity. In fact, I already went over the $19.99 budget, buying a $2.19 Phillips screwdriver 0-pt, which I hope will fit the size of the screw-heads better than the two Phillips drivers I already have.

Comment

Working...
                            X