Problem with cable box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with cable box

I have OTW digital service and use an SA 3250HD box (no dvr). There is one problem with KHNL and it's especially noticable in the morning during the Today Show. When the picture switches from the Today Show feed in hd down to standard def (or sometimes vice versa) during the many weather updates in the morning, the audio will often cut off. Sometime the switching doesn't affect the audio, but only about 20% of the time will it switch to/from HD without audio cutting out. Changing the channel then back to 1008 will restore the sound. Anyone else using this box and encountering the same thing? I haven't noticed this issue with any other channel.

Re: Problem with cable box

I've noticed the firmware in the non-DVR HD box is really buggy. I can't remember if I had the exact same issue you're describing, but I've had all kinds of similar issues. Usually, a cold reboot made the problem go away, but it wouldn't be too long before it or a similar problem came back. It was aggravating.

I switched to the DVR HD box and those annoying bugs went away. It's still not completely bug-free, but it's MUCH better.

Comment

Aha! So others are noticing audio problems, too! I'm currently house sitting and that household has digital cable and no DVR. Sorry, I don't know which box they have. I've occasionally notice a big reduction in audio and wondered what was causing it. Since I tend to do other things while the TV is on I haven't really paid attention to the channel or the time of day other than it's happened both in the morning and at night. I'm not there during the day.

At home I have the HD DVR box and haven't noticed any audio problems.

Comment

I got the DVR box about a year ago... and I'm already on my fifth box!
        The first one just died for no reason... the second one would stop and re-boot itself frequently... the third one wouldn't record any longer than 12 minutes and then it died... and the next one had severe audio problems. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
        The new one (about a week ago) is an Explorer 8300. And... the audio sucks!!!
        When I picked up this last one I asked for a brand new box and not a refurbished one, and they told me that all they receive here from the mainland are refurbished. No new ones at all.
        Pardon me for repeating myself, but...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Since it only happens on KHNL for me, I'm guessing it has something to do with the KHNL signal. I haven't noticed this problem with any other channel.

I read that Directv now requires only one 4-foot dish to receive both standard and high def programming. It used to require two! Seems like you'll only need both if you want the add-on ethnic programs. Despite the monster sized dish, when the new Tivo for Directv comes out late next year, I'm going to give the service serious consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I got the DVR box about a year ago... and I'm already on my fifth box!
            The first one just died for no reason... the second one would stop and re-boot itself frequently... the third one wouldn't record any longer than 12 minutes and then it died... and the next one had severe audio problems. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
            The new one (about a week ago) is an Explorer 8300. And... the audio sucks!!!
            When I picked up this last one I asked for a brand new box and not a refurbished one, and they told me that all they receive here from the mainland are refurbished. No new ones at all.
            I wrote that on September 10. Now, two months later, the newest box has died and I've gotta replace it tomorrow. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm on DirecTV and there's no issues with the KHNL feeds on my satellite digital HD boxes (four and one HD-DVR).
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X