Keys Don't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys Don't Work

My wife has a Dell laptop. Suddenly, the following keys don't work: z, x, c, v, m, comma, dot, right shift, and "enter." I took off the keypads to check for dirt or debris underneath. Nothing. She says she didn't spill anything on her keyboard.

Any ideas?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Keys Don't Work

Buy a new keyboard. Keyboards are cheap (unless you prefer a wireless “comfort keyboard”). In any event, like anything else, keys eventually stop working.

I have an extra keyboard I’ve never used.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      I have an extra keyboard I’ve never used.
      Thanks for your offer but I have an extra keyboard too. The problem is, this is a laptop that she takes with her everywhere.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Out of curiosity what style of laptop is it? Inspiron? ...latitude? what number?

Those keys are shortcut keys, maybe something got locked?

Try messing around with the function stuff:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&toggle=false

Or try to look in the manual for your system:

http://support.dell.com/support/syst...cat=86&~cat=12
        Last edited by Peshkwe; September 16, 2008, 12:58 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

If it's the Dell Inspiron 2650, those keyboards go out quite often. I've replaced keyboards on three of them already. Replacing them is easy and it starts with removing the lid hinge covers then prying off the bezel trim piece ahead of the function keys. From there you'll see three or four mounting screws that hold down the keyboard. Once those are removed the keyboard will come loose and all it takes is to remove the attached ribbon cable and it's off.

Installation is just the reverse and it's done. 20-minutes and it's a completed job. Check out this website for fairly good pricing and delivery on laptop keyboards.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

( woohoo! sup craig? welcome back )
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

This is gonna be one of my rare appearances as my new job has taken me from laid back retired to slammin car salesman. Working six days a week 11-hour days was not an easy transistion for me, but the training gloves are off and it's been a busy September for me.

Whovever said the car business was slowing down never worked for Big Island Toyota. I just sold the last 2009 (that's right...2009) Toyota Corolla XLE yesterday in Hilo. We gotta order more. I also sold the last 2008 Prius (NW package) that was allotted to us for September. It hasn't even been built yet and it's sold.

Man if this is the bad times for car sales, I can't wait until it get's better

Yeah so with my hectic schedule the only time I have now is RIGHT NOW, I'm hitting the sack in a couple of hours. Friday and Saturday I was running 13-hour work days. Tomorrow it'll be back to 11-hour days.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Working six days a week 11-hour days
                *whistle*

well I'm glad business is brisk. thanks for the heads up, craig
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  If it's the Dell Inspiron 2650, those keyboards go out quite often. Check out this website for fairly good pricing and delivery on laptop keyboards.
                  Thanks Craig. Yes, I ran the diagnostics and the internal keyboard is toast. It is a Dell Inspiron 1705. It's cheaper putting in a new keyboard than buying a new laptop.

Comment

Just put a new keyboard in the laptop. I found a new one on Ebay for $20. It took 10 minutes to install. Everything is back to normal. Pretty easy and painless once you figure out what the problem is.

Mahalos to everyone, especially Craig W for all the help. We are ohana!

Comment

Working...
                    X