Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy MS-Office from old drive to new one

Hi, y'all.

Two weeks ago my eMachine's motherboard died, and it seemed cheaper to replace the whole thing for $379 than repair it for ~$250 or so (new board, labor, shipping, time offline, etc.). So I did, and got a COMPAQ (yes, yes, but HP backs them now) with 3x the hard drive, 4x the memory and so on.

But.

I had backups for most every important data file, so that's not a serious problem. However, I had a purchased copy of MS-Office on that machine, and I found a nifty little plug-in for Excel that I use to convert spreadsheets into HTML tables. I've got Open Office on the new machine, and it would do fine except that there's no extension or add-in I can find that will do the same thing and give me the raw HTML. OO has a Web Wizard which will convert a spreadsheet into the finished product, but it puts lots of extra code in there which the Excel widget doesn't place into my pages. (Think MS-Word's Save-to-HTML end product -- last time I tried that I got five lines of code for every functional one).

Anyway, I have a USB-to-SATA/IDE adapter, so once I pull the old drive I shouldn't have trouble (knock wood) copying data over, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I'm likely to have an argument with Office because it's moved to a new piece of hardware.

Bueller?
    Last edited by Linkmeister; November 2, 2008, 08:50 PM.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Copy MS-Office from old drive to new one

So what version of Microsoft Office did you have on the old computer? By any chance do you still have the original CD's and license codes?

Comment

Office 2003 and I downloaded it; no CDs.

Comment

The only suggestion I can think of is that after finished moving everything over to the new drive, just start either Excel or Word by itself and see what happens.

On a new installation or new account setup Office will do some setups like create folders, ask for your name and initials and then start up the application. If that happens that would be normal. In which case after a blank worksheet (for Excel) or document (Word) appears just exit it and then start it again. If the second start just opens to a blank document or worksheet then you should be okay.

If however it keeps doing the inital setups, then you need to either create a new account or reinstall Office or just live with it when it starts up.

Comment

Thanks. I don't think I'm gonna get anything done until the election results are in, but that's probably the approach to take.

Comment

Working...
          X