Free PDF recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free PDF recommendation?

Anyone have a recommendation for a free PDF download? Although I found a couple of choices using an online search, I was wondering if anyone has one they can personally recommend.

I don't need to do a PDF file often enought to justisfy buying a editable program, but I do need to be able to occasionally save a file in PDF form so that I can email it.

Suggestions? Thanks.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Free PDF recommendation?

Amati, if you use a Mac the solution is simple. When you choose to print a document, the print dialog box shows up. Instead of clicking "Print", click the button marked "PDF" at the bottom left of the box.

You will be given multiple options, including the very first one, "Save as PDF file". Click that and you are on your way. It's free!

If you use a PC, well, sorry.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'd make a snarky comment but heckling is probably wasted on comedians.

If you're using the latest version of Word (2007, I think?) then PDF may be one of the "Save As" or even one of the printing options. I'm not familiar with all the different versions of the program.

Otherwise you could try PrimoPDF. Priced right & works fine.
      http://www.primopdf.com/
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Thanks for the PrimoPDF link. For years I've been using PDF995, which is ad supported, but always seemed a bit clunky. Will give PrimoPDF a try!

Comment

I believe you're looking for freeware editable PDF software right? The problem is there is a lot of freeware out there that will convert office suite documents into a PDF file...however if you want to edit a PDF form, you'll probably have to buy a program for that.

I was at Office Max with my wife after looking for freeware software such as what you're looking for. I ended up opting for PDF Converter5 Professional at Office Max for around $100.

This software will open up an existing PDF file and allow you to edit them. This is the key function that separates it from the freeware stuff that allows you to create and convert Word or Excel files in to PDF files. The ability to edit a pre-existing PDF file while staying in that format is where it gets expensive.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            Otherwise you could try PrimoPDF. Priced right & works fine.
            http://www.primopdf.com/
            Thanks, that was one of the online ones I'd found, and your recommendation is appreciated.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            . I ended up opting for PDF Converter5 Professional at Office Max for around $100.

This software will open up an existing PDF file and allow you to edit them. This is the key function that separates it from the freeware stuff that allows you to create and convert Word or Excel files in to PDF files. The ability to edit a pre-existing PDF file while staying in that format is where it gets expensive.
            Yes, and since I don't need to edit someone else's work that is in PDF, I was trying to avoid having to pay for that function.

Thanks to all so far for your help.

Comment

PDFill PDF Tools is a nice one. Like all the others, you get a PDF print driver added to your list of Windows printers. But you also get tools for splitting, merging, and rotating pages within PDF documents, as well as tools for importing and exporting images. I like it.

Comment

Actually, if you have Microsoft Office (even as far back as Office 98, I believe) you already have a pdf creator built in. It’s called PDFMaker. If it’s not showing up on your toolbar and you can’t find it in your system, you might have to manually install it from your Office CD. I’ve had to do that a couple of times in the past. It’s available for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Note: after composing this off-site (on a Mac NeoOffice word processor), I just noticed that the PDFMaker icon is not on my PC MS Word toolbar. I swear it was there just a little while ago. It is on my Excel and PowerPoint programs, though.

@#%*@&! Microsoft!

Comment

CutePDF works pretty well for me.

Comment

I've been using PDF Creator for years, and it's free...=)

http://www.pdfforge.org/

Comment

My thanks to all for your suggestions. I installed PrimoPDF, and it works fine so far. I cannot believe that I "went without" all these years!

Comment

Working...
                      X