Flat panel TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat panel TVs

I've been looking around at getting a new flat panel plasma or LCD set between 42-50" at Sears, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Any opinions on SONY Bravia, VIZIO, and SHARP AQUOS lines? Saw a couple of SHARPS at around $1000 in the 46" size. Costco has a coupon special on the VIZIO XVT 47" good through the 25th of this month.

Re: Flat panel TVs

Picked up a Magnavox 19" LCD (model #: 19MF338B) from Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago for around $240 (which includes tax). It's does not do HD tho. I don't think my place could not support a TV bigger than 22 to 24 inches.

Comment

Anyone remember when a 20" TV console was considered large?

Here's a few buying tips:

Look at several screens at once. Try to avoid noticing the brand name as it might influence your decision. As you go down the list you can start to eliminate some TV's early in the process.

Is the set 1080p? If not, then it won't be able to display a true HD image. Full HD is 1920 x 1080 pixels. 1080p is "progressive frame" or an entire full frame 30 times per second. 1080i is "interlaced" or two half-resolution "fields" 60 times a second. Either way works well, although "progressive" frame is more like film in some ways. OC16 is planning to broadcast some of its locally produced programs in 1080i sometime soon on channel 1016.

Look at the white areas. Are they truly white or are they tinged with some color like cyan, magenta, blue, red or green?

Same with the black areas. Are they deep black? Bluish? Dark grey?

Do shadowy areas have visible detail or are they just featureless blobs of black?

Look at the highlights on skin tones. Do they contain detail, or do they look like washed-out white spots?

Does skin tone look like skin or does it look like plastic off a mannequin?

How much does the quality of the image change when you're off-axis? Check left-to-right and up-and-down.

Take your time. Eventually you'll start to notice the differences.

Comment

Is there a visual difference between a 32-inch 720p and 32-inch 1080p?

I thought the minimum screen size for a 1080p is 42-inch.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I have a 40" Sony Bravia and love it. The HD channels are incredible to my ol' tutu eyes! Actually, everyone, without exception, who has been to my place has remarked on the picture. The digital stations look great, too.

Thanks for the buying tips, Composite. I'm gonna hang on to those!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Is there a visual difference between a 32-inch 720p and 32-inch 1080p?

I thought the minimum screen size for a 1080p is 42-inch.
            Depends on how close you're sitting:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

It's possible to have a 1080p screen that's 23". The Apple Cinema display can give a full-resolution HD image with a pixel count of 1920 x 1200 pixels. But it seems that most TV's don't use LCD's with that kind of resolution and are usually larger before they get that many pixels in the matrix.

Tutusue: I didn't want to mention brands because Sony is almost always one of the best

Sometimes it's possible to find another brand that performs as well or nearly as well. But it takes patience and a lot of watching to find them.

That said, if I were to buy one, I'd probably get a Sony. And if I had the money I'd want to get a screen 50" or larger, and forget about going to the movies. We recently got a 26" Vizio for the bedroom. The image quality was pretty good for the price.

Comment

a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Sony Bravia 32" and am very happy with it. I don't have HD because I share sattelite service through my landlord and he is still deciding whether he wants to pay for the extra costs. I hope he does because I'd like to be able to enjoy the full services of the TV. I switched from a Mitsubishi 27" analog that was about 14 yrs. old.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I have a Vizio from Costco that works great. Does it have the best picture ever? I can't tell so I don't know and I don't care.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  I have a Vizio from Costco that works great. Does it have the best picture ever? I can't tell so I don't know and I don't care.
                  If the picture looks good to you, that's all that really matters.

Vizio is an upstart brand that's made huge inroads for providing decent sets at great prices. Buying at Costco provides an added bonus of a 2 year warranty on the tv, that's something you may need to buy as an extended plan elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Sony Bravia 32" and am very happy with it. I don't have HD because I share sattelite service through my landlord and he is still deciding whether he wants to pay for the extra costs. I hope he does because I'd like to be able to enjoy the full services of the TV. I switched from a Mitsubishi 27" analog that was about 14 yrs. old.
                    Tell your landlord you're willing to pay (i.e. up your rent).
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      If the picture looks good to you, that's all that really matters.

Vizio is an upstart brand that's made huge inroads for providing decent sets at great prices. Buying at Costco provides an added bonus of a 2 year warranty on the tv, that's something you may need to buy as an extended plan elsewhere.
                      There are only a few manufacturers worldwide that produce LCD panels, and everyone purchases from them. So what you might see in one brand of TV, you would also see in another. What can also make a difference is the circuits that drive the display. How the incoming data is interpreted to drive the pixel elements of an LCD can have a major effect on the image quality.

So it pays to give the TVs a good look. Even if you're looking at the same brand. Quality can vary from one size or model to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Tell your landlord you're willing to pay (i.e. up your rent).

I'd love to have that option but can't afford to pay more rent just to get better quality TV - it's not that important to me. What I have now is free for me.

Groceries are much better
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just in case you're not aware of this site - CNET.com has lots of info on TV's. Here's a link to their TV Buying Guide: http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-gu...tColumnArea1.0

Here's the page for 42" to 49.9" screen size models. When you go there you'll see the capability to look at other screen sizes. You can have the results sorted by review date, editor's rating, user's rating, or low price. It can at least put you in the ballpark. http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/?filter=...881_&tag=mncol

One thing I would consider when viewing TV's in a store is how they've been set-up or adjusted. As I understand it, the possible adjustments can make a dramatic difference. You would assume the tv tech staff at the store would set the tv's up for optimal performance in the store lighting situation. But frankly, I've been in electronics stores where I've known more about the merchandise than the salesperson. And it's not like I'm some sort of expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                            Just in case you're not aware of this site - CNET.com has lots of info on TV's. Here's a link to their TV Buying Guide: http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-gu...tColumnArea1.0

Here's the page for 42" to 49.9" screen size models. When you go there you'll see the capability to look at other screen sizes. You can have the results sorted by review date, editor's rating, user's rating, or low price. It can at least put you in the ballpark. http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/?filter=...881_&tag=mncol

One thing I would consider when viewing TV's in a store is how they've been set-up or adjusted. As I understand it, the possible adjustments can make a dramatic difference. You would assume the tv tech staff at the store would set the tv's up for optimal performance in the store lighting situation. But frankly, I've been in electronics stores where I've known more about the merchandise than the salesperson. And it's not like I'm some sort of expert.
                            Settings for LCDs and Plasmas out of the box are always on torch mode. I have a Samsung 46" 1080p LCD and use settings I found at Avsforums.com. What a difference they made the picture look. You also can try the link below and search for your model and see if the settings they post work for you.
                            http://www.tweaktv.com/

Comment

Found out that the Magnavox does do HD but I don't have the right cable connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X