Uploading documents to a web page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading documents to a web page?

Ok, let's see if I can explain this even half articulately! As the manager of one of our industry's list serves I've been asked to find a way for members to easily upload docs to a web page in a way they can be easily downloaded and opened by other members. This, in lieu of allowing attachments to the email. The only example I can offer is Yahoo!Groups. But, we're not a Yahoo group and have our list serve hosted by lava.net.

Will greatly appreciate your thoughts. I'm so out of my techie league with this!

Re: Uploading documents to a web page?

I manage a website that uses godaddy.com as it's server. We have a group on Yahoogroups.com that has worked well for about 4 years now. I don't think it matters what server you use to have a Yahoo (or Google) group. But maybe someone else knows more about it?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

What kinds of documents are you talking about? If they're word-processing files, slide shows, or spreadsheets, I recommend Google Docs. You can work on stuff collaboratively (even in real time!) and set access only to invited people.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I use www.MediaFire.com

You can upload files of up to 100 MB for free. You can then let anyone or selected people download them.

Instead of printing lots of copies of things for my class, I often upload and let them download.

I also record classes so students who missed them can download them and catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
          I use www.MediaFire.com
          [...]
          This looks like it'll do the trick. Thanks, Bob.

Comment

I use:

sendspace.com
            rapidshare.com
            megaupload.com
            zshare.com

useful for pr0n too.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I'd say Google Docs. Or if you are building a website you can use Joomla and then a plugin called DocMan. Otherwise, if you have money to spend and are doing more than docs....projects and such you should check out Basecamp. Good luck! Did you end up with MediaFire? Tell us your experience.
              kiddori

Comment

No experience yet. I turned the suggestions over to the decision makers and that's as far as it's gone! And, no, we're not building a web site! Not that I know of, at least!

Comment

Are the documents private?

Comment

For the most part the docs aren't private. It's just that so many of the members on the list serve object to anything extraneous coming into their in boxes!

Comment

Working...
                    X