Wireless network setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network setup

I currently have DSL on my desktop PC through a wired router. In light of what Mom's trying to do with a laptop (here; scanning photos into laptop in another room), I'm wondering if it would make sense to set up a wireless network in the house, and what it would take to do it.

As far as I can tell, the desktop box has no wireless card; the (borrowed from family member) laptop does. Do I have to install a card in the desktop, or can I buy a USB equivalent and plug it into an available port? Then do I replace my current wired router with a wireless one? Do I need a USB adapter for the laptop 100 feet or so down the hall and through a couple of doorways?

What questions have I not asked? Advice welcome!

Cross-posted from my blog.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Wireless network setup

All you need is to replace your wired router with a wireless router. Wireless routers typically also have four or so wired Ethernet ports in back, so they're really wireless-or-wired-take-your-pick but that's too much of a mouthful for the label on the box.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; March 2, 2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      All you need is to replace your wired router with a wireless router. Wireless routers typically also have four or so wired Ethernet ports in back, so they're really wireless-or-wired-take-your-pick but that's too much of a mouthful for the label on the box.
      Seems entirely too simple and inexpensive.

I don't need a wireless card in the desktop? I just plug the Ethernet cable from the DSL modem into the (new) wireless router and that's it?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
        Seems entirely too simple and inexpensive.

I don't need a wireless card in the desktop? I just plug the Ethernet cable from the DSL modem into the (new) wireless router and that's it?
        Yup, that's it.

On your mom's notebook PC, you will need to sign into the wireless router's network using the network password that you establish when you set up the wireless router. (Use wireless encryption; WPA is standard these days.)

Assuming that the wireless router also has Ethernet ports, which you should be sure to check when you buy the thing, then you just connect your desktop PC to it with an Ethernet cable, exactly like how it's done right now with your old wired router. Because it's a direct wired connection, it won't require the use of the wireless network password.

Also, as is the case with any Windows network, you should create a Windows workgroup and have both computers join it. That way you can share printers and files. Otherwise, you're sharing the Internet connection only.

Comment

Okay, Glenn. I just got back from Best Buy where I spoke with one of their geeks, and he agreed with you, so I bought one of these and I'm about to install it.

Thanks for your help, and if it doesn't work I'll gripe to you first, then I'll go back down there.

Jeepers, that was easy (knock wood). Worked like a charm, and all for the tiny sum of $33.

Hmm. Rather than this laptop, Mom regularly uses MSNTV2 (the old WebTV), and there's a USB port on its back. Unfortunately the wireless adapters mentioned on its website are all confirmed as "no longer available at retail stores;" I wonder how to determine what new ones would work.
          Last edited by Linkmeister; March 2, 2009, 01:44 PM. Reason: Update after launch

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            Yup, that's it.

Also, as is the case with any Windows network, you should create a Windows workgroup and have both computers join it. That way you can share printers and files. Otherwise, you're sharing the Internet connection only.
            Windows appears to create a workgroup automatically once a network has been set up. I suppose I need to modify it to define printers, huh?

Comment

Windows appears to create a workgroup automatically once a network has been set up. I suppose I need to modify it to define printers, huh?
              Honestly, I dunno. I have never kept the workgroup at its default setting.

Comment

I currently have DSL on my desktop PC through a wired router. In light of what Mom's trying to do with a laptop (here; scanning photos into laptop in another room), I'm wondering if it would make sense to set up a wireless network in the house, and what it would take to do it.

As far as I can tell, the desktop box has no wireless card; the (borrowed from family member) laptop does. Do I have to install a card in the desktop, or can I buy a USB equivalent and plug it into an available port? Then do I replace my current wired router with a wireless one? Do I need a USB adapter for the laptop 100 feet or so down the hall and through a couple of doorways?

What questions have I not asked? Advice welcome!

Cross-posted from my blog.
                Most wireless router models (like NetGear WNR834B) have ethernet ports for wired networking also. It's best to use wired connection to set up your wireless router for the first time anyway.

Once you set it up (including naming your network, creating it a passkey/password and select security setting), you can then set your mom's laptop wireless connection to it (let the laptop search your network SSID and then give it the passkey; remember to use the best network security setting -- usually WPA2).

If your mom's laptop having trouble connecting to your wireless router, you may have to look into your router's wi-fi setting, particularly the channel number.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                X