DVD/CD usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD/CD usage

Dumb question: When you're copying data/pix to a DVD+R disk can you stop, then continue to add files later till it's full?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: DVD/CD usage

With DVD-R I know you can for sure add stuff along the way until you finalize it. I just finalized a disc last night that I hadnt added stuff on it for a few months.

Aj

Comment

As long as it's the same computer burning the same DVD or CD until it is finalized it should be okay.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I thought so, but it's nice to have it more or less confirmed. The scanning project I mentioned in the wireless router thread has so far netted us 9 folders with about 8 pictures in each one, and Mom was worrying about copying to disk and whether it would run over into two disks. Right now the contents add up to about 25MB; on a 4.7GB there's a lot of space left, so the addition question arose in my mind.

Comment

CD's hold around 640 to 700 Mbytes depending on the brand. Nothing wrong with generating another set on CD-R's and they are cheaper per disc so doesn't matter if you don't use all of the space on it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            CD's hold around 640 to 700 Mbytes depending on the brand. Nothing wrong with generating another set on CD-R's and they are cheaper per disc so doesn't matter if you don't use all of the space on it.
            Now there's a thought. If you've only got one drive, can you copy from one disk to another (if you wanted to down the road, after you'd removed folders from your hard drive). I think I remember doing that with diskettes.

Comment

Depending on how much disk space you have available you can temporarly copy the files from the 1st DVD/CD to your computer's hard drive. Once that is done you can copy/burn the 2nd DVD/CD using the hard drives files as the source. After you are done then you can wipe out the files on the hard drive. It may seem like extra steps to do but when the time comes to do it, it beats swapping disc all the time and you can do other things while it burns the 2nd DVD/CD. Also you can multiple copies of the DVD/CD should you need to give it to other people.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                Depending on how much disk space you have available you can temporarly copy the files from the 1st DVD/CD to your computer's hard drive. Once that is done you can copy/burn the 2nd DVD/CD using the hard drives files as the source. After you are done then you can wipe out the files on the hard drive. It may seem like extra steps to do but when the time comes to do it, it beats swapping disc all the time and you can do other things while it burns the 2nd DVD/CD. Also you can multiple copies of the DVD/CD should you need to give it to other people.
                Better you should plan the number of copies you need before you take the files off your hard drive in the first place than go that route, I'm thinking.

One for the safe-deposit box, one for the mainland family, one in the house. . .

Comment

Is this for long-term storage? The question is how long will CDs DVDs last? Some CDs have died in less then a year.

Comment

That's the goal, yes. Believe it or not, the archiving community (my mother knows the field well) says the optimal medium is still paper. The trouble is, that's bulky and impractical if you're running out the door of the burning house.

Comment

There are on-line archive sites out there. That's probably a story for another thread. But since they can be made to run automatically and some are free, I think they are worth looking into. That's not to say that CD/DVD is a bad idea, but why not belt and suspenders?

Comment

The problem I see that happens from time to time is that people (and myself included) tend to save or archive things to one and only one thing, be it that thing is the hard drive, or floppy disk, or zip disk, or CD, or DVD, or USB flash drives. Thing is these things over time will either fail or perharps get lost, misplaced, stolen or break and if your stuff is only found on one and only one thing, well you are screwed.

The solution, store your stuff on mutiple things, they can be of the same type if you like but using multiple media types allow you to deal with any aging media problems that might arise.

Comment

This article may be a bit outdated, but it's a good start into researching the options for on-line backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                            Believe it or not, the archiving community (my mother knows the field well) says the optimal medium is still paper. The trouble is, that's bulky and impractical if you're running out the door of the burning house.
                            Paper's not much use for audio/video preservation.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Mom noticed Skydrive in a newspaper column the other day. Windows-based and Microsoft-provided, so some degree of skepticism about future pricing (it's currently free) is probably warranted. 25GB of space, though.

The point about several forms of media is a good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X