Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD/CD usage

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Is this for long-term storage? The question is how long will CDs DVDs last? Some CDs have died in less then a year.
    Helpful tip: don't use store brand or generic media. Office Depot CD-R's may be cheaper, but often times they'll fail to work a year so later. Before Circuit City closed down, they had a house brand of optical media, and I've saved a number of files that way. While they were good for audio CD's and making safety copies of DVD, they were terrible for media storage. I now have a small handful of coasters that can read the menu (i.e. let me know what is on the disc) but I can't access any of the files.

Comment

I buy Maxell or Verbatim or TDK for discs; I'll use Office Depot's brand of jewel cases.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
        I buy Maxell or Verbatim or TDK for discs; I'll use Office Depot's brand of jewel cases.
        There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
          Dumb question: When you're copying data/pix to a DVD+R disk can you stop, then continue to add files later till it's full?
          I think it depends on what software you use and if its configured to allow multiple sessions.

It could all be possible with your hardware and software but it might set to close after each session. Then it wouldn't matter if you can because you didn't.

Comment

Another helpful tip when it comes to CD-R's and DVD-R's. If these are important documents that you need to save, such as photos, certificates or anything like that, save them twice, meaning on two different discs or something. I don't know if you plan on going to this information frequently, but have one for frequent use, and one to store elsewhere.

There are also enough thumbdrives and all of that that are cheap enough too.

Comment

Working...
            X