Where to dispose of old electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to dispose of old electronics?

I'm remembering a thread about this subject but, for the life of me, I can't find it. Sorry to start a new one, but...

Anyway, I'm doing a major housecleaning (yes, it's spring!) and I have old (very old!) video cameras, scanners and a printer or 2 I need to dispose of. None work. It's Earth Day. How do I dispose of these items in the greenest way possible?

TIA...

Re: Where to dispose of old electronics?

When would be a better question since the University of Hawaii does it's annual eWaste event in the fall (late September, early October).

Comment

I remember the annual event but am hoping there are other drop off locations that are available with more frequency.

Comment

Here’s a link from the City’s Opala program. The City seems to be passing it on to the manufacturers (and others). It’s seems very complicated and time-consuming, and I’m not sure they all work.

Look for the free drop-off. There's a Waipahu High School event for May 30. Is that too far away? The last date was April 11. Not sure about the Best Buy program. If you decide to try that, let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          Here’s a link from the City’s Opala program. [...]
          Aha! This link mentions bulky collection. I didn't think of that...probably because I'm spring cleaning at Makaha and bulky collection takes place at my town building. Bingo!

Or does this service dispose of everything at the landfill?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I'm remembering a thread about this subject but, for the life of me, I can't find it. Sorry to start a new one, but...

Anyway, I'm doing a major housecleaning (yes, it's spring!) and I have old (very old!) video cameras, scanners and a printer or 2 I need to dispose of. None work. It's Earth Day. How do I dispose of these items in the greenest way possible?

TIA...
            Craigslist? Antiques can be valuable.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              Craigslist? Antiques can be valuable.
              I wish! Nothing predates the mid 1990s. It's just a plethora of old, used, broken equipment taking up valuable space in a 400 sq. ft. condo!

Comment

You might try calling a computer repair business and ask them about where/how to dispose of these items. I seem to recall reading about someplace that takes these but can't recall it right now - another of those lovely "senior moments".
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

You might want to call schools in your area and see if they are interested in the items, either for use or to take apart as an educational project.

Also some people send things like this to the Philippines where they are used.
                  "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                  Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                  X