DSL Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Issue

I've had a strange DSL/phone line issue as of late.Recently every few weeks I would get a bunch of static on my phone line. However if I disconnect the DSL modem (Westell 6100) the static goes away. I've had a tech come over and test the inside wiring and replace the modem (The inside wiring tested fine). However the problem still persists. I'm at a loss why this is going on ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: DSL Issue

Do you also have a fax machine attached to your number?

Comment

I replaced all the DSL filters yesterday and there is no fax machine connected to the line.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm on Hawaiian Telcom (basic 1.5 mbps) and have the 327w Westell. The tech that checked out my lines when I had the same problem removed all of the filters in my house (said they're no longer needed) and I've had no problems since.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          I'm on Hawaiian Telcom (basic 1.5 mbps) and have the 327w Westell. The tech that checked out my lines when I had the same problem removed all of the filters in my house (said they're no longer needed) and I've had no problems since.

I'm surprised that the tech told you that. It is my understanding the filters are needed to prevent interference between DSL and telephone/fax machines.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            I'm surprised that the tech told you that. It is my understanding the filters are needed to prevent interference between DSL and telephone/fax machines.
            I was surprised too. Had filters on my phone jacks for the past 7 years until he came to check it out about 3 weeks ago.

He said this new Westell doesn't need filters.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              I've had a strange DSL/phone line issue as of late.Recently every few weeks I would get a bunch of static on my phone line. However if I disconnect the DSL modem (Westell 6100) the static goes away. I've had a tech come over and test the inside wiring and replace the modem (The inside wiring tested fine). However the problem still persists. I'm at a loss why this is going on ?
              You should have the tech check your outside phone line.

I had static when I hooked up to DSL last summer. It wasn't the modem they sent me, so they check the line outside and found an old piece of RF equipment interfering with my service.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post

I had static when I hooked up to DSL last summer. It wasn't the modem they sent me, so they check the line outside and found an old piece of RF equipment interfering with my service.

I know they tested the inside wiring at my house. It tested fine. However if this persists, I'll suggest that check the outside wiring to see if there is a problem.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post

I've plugged some equipment into the phone jacks in the network interface box located on the outside of my house to test for static. If the equipment has static when plugged in here, then it's the equipment. If not, then it's inside wiring.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    I have the same modem as you and when I was having problems a few months ago (can't remember if the symptoms were phone or dsl related) the tech told me to add another filter to the one phone jack I have, specifically for the fax machine. The original set-up worked fine for the previous 1.5 years!! Instead I keep the fax unplugged 'til I need to use it!

Comment

Working...
                    X