Sprint/Nexel Merger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint/Nexel Merger

Now apparently the #3 cel carrier is merging with Sprint, only leaves Verizon and T-Mobile as the only independents left who have not done the merge dance yet.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Nexel/Sprint merger

Some rumors have surfaced on a cell phone forum, that tmobile might merge with one of the smaller service providers.

But doesn't the FCC have to verify the merger between Sprint and Nextel first?
    (and I asked a few nextel users at the shop with a cop this morning if they knew about the merger, and 90% of them didn't know who sprint was).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
      Some rumors have surfaced on a cell phone forum, that tmobile might merge with one of the smaller service providers.

But doesn't the FCC have to verify the merger between Sprint and Nextel first?
      (and I asked a few nextel users at the shop with a cop this morning if they knew about the merger, and 90% of them didn't know who sprint was).
      They and the SEC have to agree that it will not cause competition to be lost, but it really is mostly in the hands of the shareholders of Nextel and Sprint.

Nextel is known most for the radio phone feature (used by businesses) and Sprint for their consumer base. Merging the 2 would make sense in order to compete against ATT/Cingular.

There are no "small cel companies" that T-Mobile could merge with that would make sense. It could only merge with the ATT/Cingular or Verizon.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Verizon is throwing its hat in and might merge with Sprint

From engadget.com

Just because they can doesn’t mean they will (or that they should), but Verizon has officially gotten permission from partner/major investor Vodafone to make a play for Sprint. If you recall the halcyon days of late last week, when talk of a Sprint-Nextel merger was still just that—talk—speculation was already brewing that Verizon was somehow going to get mixed up in all this. Obviously Verizon seems like a more natural merger partner for Sprint than Nextel, since both use CDMA for their wireless networks, but then again, both Cingular and AT&T Wireless use GSM and that merger hasn’t exactly been a cakewalk. Anyway, it could be a few weeks, if ever, before Verizon announces a bid, but we’re sure we’ll hear them when they do.

more from a HowardForums thread

Interesting...

Comment

The only reason why Nextel and Sprint are even considering merging is sheer survival, not even profitability at this point! Verizon making a play for Nextel make for an interesting scenario, too.

Miulang

Comment

Pending federal regulatory approval, the merger between Nextel and Sprint is now a done deal, to the tune of $35 billion.

The only possible merger left would be between Verizon and T-Mobile, but Verizon doesn't really need to merge with anybody because even after this Nextel/Sprint deal, they are still #2.

Miulang

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5...tag=zdnn.alert
            Last edited by Miulang; December 15, 2004, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Interesting.

FWIW, the combined Sprint/Nextel company would be the nation's third largest, but I think Sprint alone is already the third largest. Adding Nextel doesn't boost their market position that drastically -- not like the Cingular/ATT deal, which pushed it over Verizon to take the top spot.

Sprint has always done well with consumers, while corporations like Nextel. The two together make a good combination.

I agree that the cross-platform deal will likely kill IDEN and boost CDMA... but in the long term, GSM (which Cingular/ATT and T-Mobile use, along with the rest of the world) will still probably be the dominant technology. With Sprint/Nextel and Verizon the only remaining major carriers using CDMA, a merger there is probably in the stars.

My smartphone (among other new units out of Sprint) has a mysterious third button on the left side of the device that a lot of folks suspect is there to allow for future addition of "push-to-talk" walkie-talkie service a la Nextel. With Nextel already working on CDMA-based "push-to-talk" service, and Sprint's own solution slow out of the gate, this theory is no longer so farfetched.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                My smartphone (among other new units out of Sprint) has a mysterious third button on the left side of the device that a lot of folks suspect is there to allow for future addition of "push-to-talk" walkie-talkie service a la Nextel. With Nextel already working on CDMA-based "push-to-talk" service, and Sprint's own solution slow out of the gate, this theory is no longer so farfetched.
                That PTT like button was supposed to be for Sprint's Ready-Link PTT service (like Nextel and Verizon).

Comment

Re: Sprint/Nexel Merger

As I noted, Sprint does have a similar feature, but Nextel really had the sharpest implementation of instant, cross-country, walkie-talkie-like communication. Sprint's version hasn't really caught on. By swallowing Nextel, Sprint can get that much-loved functionality rather than continue to try and build its own from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    As I noted, Sprint does have a similar feature, but Nextel really had the sharpest implementation of instant, cross-country, walkie-talkie-like communication. Sprint's version hasn't really caught on. By swallowing Nextel, Sprint can get that much-loved functionality rather than continue to try and build its own from scratch.
                    If it uses iDEN. From what I remember, Sprint (and Verizon) uses CDMA, so I don't think those two companies will have a shared network, unless they fix the compatibility issues.

Comment

I say IDEN is dead. After the spectrum swap with the government, and this new deal, the "network upgrade" Nextel has been murmuring about forever will probably be a CDMA conversion. Sprint ReadyLink (their PTT service) is awful, Nextel's coverage is poor, so as long as Sprint/Nextel can migrate Nextel users and PTT technology to their network and platform, they've got great possibilities.

Comment

Perhaps a logo for the new company?

Comment

Working...
                        X