Laptop dangers in public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop dangers in public?

Are there negatives towards a laptop's well being when used in coffee shop style Envirooms?
    Any privacy concerns?

Positives -
    high speed wireless?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Laptop dangers in public?

The possibilty of having spilled coffee (or other liquids) or crumbs in the laptop's keyboard.

Comment

Laptop enemy #1?

My new HP isn't even fully set up yet and I'm surprised I havn't done that already.

Comment

Falling laptops and stolen laptops are a hazard anytime the thing leaves the safe confines of your home or office.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Forgotten/lost...

I'm chaining myself to mine when it travels.
          Actually they have some interesting backpacks for 17" on the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Forgotten/lost...

Actually they have some interesting backpacks for 17" on the bay.
            The trick is to find a laptop backpack (or messenger/courier bag) that doesn't visibly say it's a laptop backpack (etc.). Otherwise, thieves are going to set their sights on it immediately.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              The trick is to find a laptop backpack (or messenger/courier bag) that doesn't visibly say it's a laptop backpack (etc.). Otherwise, thieves are going to set their sights on it immediately.
              That's why I love my BB Storm.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                That's why I love my BB Storm.
                I have a BB too. It's very handy for reading/sending e-mail and using some apps on the go. But sorry, there's no way to compare the BB's web browsing experience to that of a modern laptop.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  I have a BB too. It's very handy for reading/sending e-mail and using some apps on the go. But sorry, there's no way to compare the BB's web browsing experience to that of a modern laptop.
                  That's true. For me I don't have time to casually browse the web while out and about but the BB is great when needing to respond to email stuff while not being tethered to a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Forgotten/lost...

You can purchase laptop lock cables, that you can loop around some nearby stationary/immovable object. Of course, if you leave it unattended for long enough time period, some thief might attempt to steal it, which could result in loss or damage. But at least the lock is a deterrent and prevents an easy swipe.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'll be suffering laptop accessories acquisitioning syndrome for a while now that my new laptop seems to be working, and a cable to lock it to me will be needed.
                      This is my first forum post with my new HP DV7Z

Comment

I have yet to own one but have read incidents where people unknowlingly gets stabbed for their laptops. Did happen to one person in the Bay Area awhile back.
                        If I did own one and used it in public I would position myself where I can see everyone around me and don't get too transfixed. It's good to look up and around you now and then.

Comment

If I needed a laptop out in public, I'll go with those new mobile broadband equipped netbooks. I know it doesn't come with a CD-ROM drive but typically you don't need one when on the road. The slim external CD-ROM drives will work and even with the added bulk, it's not as bulky as a full-sized laptop.

Comment

Working...
                          X