Domain name and website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name and website

I'm looking into setting up a domain name and website. Is anyone familiar with the services of Intuit Websites? They provide domain names for about $10/year, and Websites for about $5/month (they provide templates for you to design your own site).
    What should I "watch out" for?
    Thanks!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: domain name and website

How much disk space does the web site provide?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      How much disk space does the web site provide?
      25 MB on the basic option ($5/mo)

Comment

honestly i would recommend you compare it to Godaddy

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/website-builder.aspx

I honestly don't know why intuit is getting into this business. maybe since they try to work with small biz on the financial side...

They have great tech support and for someone that doesn't know much about hosting, sites, etc. they are good and cheap. with godaddy the sky's the limit with options if you want to grow your site over time,

Although I would never recommend them for power users. I design sites, and wouldn't use Godaddy for more advanced users (i use to use them)

on 2nd thought after looking at what intuit offers at what price I would have to heavily lean towards the godaddy option. Intuit only offers phone support for 1-3 months, and it's 8-5 PST, Godaddy phone support is unlimited and its' 24/7. You can get your domain, email, and hosting with more space, etc for a lot cheaper than Intuit...I believe also you get your domain for $1.99 when you setup a hosting account with godaddy.

FYI there's also lots of coupon codes to use with godaddy. I always use "chill7" to get domains for $7.49, there's 10% total order coupons, and many more...
        This is just my opinion
        Last edited by LocalMotion; October 22, 2009, 12:00 AM.
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I would also recommend taking a look at GoDaddy & compare their services...

Comment

Re: Domain name and website

Yipe. Two companies I strenuously and regularly steer people away from.

As to the original question, I wouldn't go with Intuit. Not only are they an objectionable company on a broad level (I used to work for a bank, and am biased against their overall practices), they're wholly unqualified players in the webhosting market.

As to alternatives, I will say that while GoDaddy is a major player, they're the last company I'd recommend. I've blogged about problems friends have had with them since 2006. Beyond the sketchy advertising, the relentless upselling, the iffy customer service, and mediocre prices... the basic service they provide can be provided by dozens of other companies for less, and with more competence.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, with a relatively competent system for you to roughly design and maintain a website, consider Squarespace.

But my usual advice is to get your domain name registration and your webhosting from two different companies. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, and in both categories, there are companies that do well for a good price. Rarely do you find everything you need in one place.

For domain name registration (based on price, as well as business practices such as upselling, spam, etc.), I use Gandi.net and Name.com. I like things barebones and simple.

For webhosting? The possibilities are endless. Most of the sites I deploy are powered by either WordPress or Joomla, and most good webhosts will allow you to install these content management systems with the click of a button. These CMSes are free, widely used, and customizable. They take some getting used to, but they sure beat paying someone every time you want to change a photo or update an address.

Comment

That was good informative info. Two thumbs up!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've used Dotster for my domain name needs; they have an automatic renewal feature which is useful, since I tend to forget or lose email notifications, especially for annual bills.

I switched to Hosting Matters a year or so ago (old host got out of the business) and was really impressed. They handled the conversion and file transfers in a pain-free manner, and they bill my credit card monthly ($8) for a 500gb plan.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

OK, 1,000 thanks for the info that you all have posted. But, it did not take me any time at all to "get lost". conversion? file transfer? content management system? EEEEEAAAhhhh. Oh No - I'm starting to feel like I won't be able to do my own site!
                  Here's my needs: I have a product that I want to sell online. I want to post photos of the product line. And do a simple explanation about the product(s).
                  Plus, I'm thinking of getting a domain name (with a name that ties into the product) instead of just using my home email address for responses.
                  So, what is it I need, in simple "idiot's guide to websites/domain name" language? THANKS!

Comment

You need a domain name, and a website (webhost). Most places will try to sell you both, and if it's simpler, buy both from the same place. I'm just saying, I feel safer separating those two assets.

The website part is tricky, because a website doesn't just explode into existence. Someone has to write stuff, find photos, and put it all together. Unless you pay someone to do the design, you need a content management system. This is software that lets you log in, see your site, and edit various parts of it. WordPress is, to me, the simplest way to go. There are also tools like Joomla. Most website hosts allow you to install these systems with one click.

Now, if you're intimidated by all of this, still want to do it yourself, and really want ease of use and all-in-one everything, damn the torpedoes, check out Squarespace, which I mentioned above. You can even create a free test site right now, and decide to pay only if it looks like you'll be happy with how everything works.
                    Here's my needs: I have a product that I want to sell online. I want to post photos of the product line. And do a simple explanation about the product(s). Plus, I'm thinking of getting a domain name (with a name that ties into the product) instead of just using my home email address for responses.
                    On e-mail: When you buy a domain name, you'll be able to make any e-mail address you like. If you buy amatiwine.com, you can have sales@amatiwine.com or badgers@amatiwine.com and have all email sent to any address sent anywhere else you want. You won't have to expose your "home email address."

On photos: Make sure you take your own photos, and don't steal photos willy-nilly from other sites on the web, just because they've already taken good photos of the same product. You probably know this, but it's a common beginner's mistake.

On a domain name that "ties into the product": If the product is a trademarked brand, even if you're an authorized reseller, make sure you have permission to incorporate that product name in your domain name.

Comment

Badgers?

I don't know what sort of photos you want, but it gives me an opportunity to plug a friend's pictures. He's deliberately put them all into public domain for anyone to use. They can be seen at PDPhoto.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                        Badgers?

I don't know what sort of photos you want, but it gives me an opportunity to plug a friend's pictures. He's deliberately put them all into public domain for anyone to use. They can be seen at PDPhoto.

Cool! Went looking and saw all the Bodie pics. My hub and I addressed that place back when we worked for an E-911 mapping company based in Virginia. We did all of Mono County.

Comment

I know this will probably grate against PZ but have you considered creating an Ebay store? I know they take a percentage, but it's easy and relatively painless. Plus you get a ton of exposure. Just because you have a website, that doesn't mean everybody's looking at it. And Ebay offers payment solutions built in.

It's not the best but it is easy and all the tools are right there for you to use.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I know this will probably grate against PZ but have you considered creating an Ebay store?
                            I'm having trouble with posting lately, I do a "preview post", but then when I submit it for posting it disappears.

Anyway, I'll retype my question. I "look" at ebay occasionally, but have never bought anything from it. So, I guess I'll add to my original question: are there are additional comments about having an ebay store? {So what the heck is an Ebay Store?}. Please ... I'm sinking ......

Comment

An Ebay store is simply a place for you to put all of what you're selling under one roof under Ebay. Mostly for retailers or wholesalers who want a bigger exposure than simply listing an item for sale. It's almost as good as a physical brick and morter storefront.

Comment

Working...
                              X