Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD player?

Originally posted by helen View Post
    Yes, just gentlely poke the paper clip through the hole.
    Nope. No hole. A little bitty speaker grill next to the tray, but no hole anywhere.

Rats.

Oh well, thanks for that suggestion, Helen and anapuni.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Those holes are typically found on optical drive units on computers.

As for DVD players, practically all will play CD's. I still got a DVD player that Speedex gave me practically ten years ago. It's a US Logic and it's still working!

The problem with most DVD players is that the drive belts wear down stretching a bit so the tray doesn't open or close. The drive pully simply spins around a loose belt. Replacing that belt solves the problem, unfortunately the cost to replace it labor wise makes it unrepairable. And there aren't many places that will sell you a belt. Precision Radio on S. King street sold a crapload of belts. You can try IC Supply but I'm not sure if they still stock replacement belts.

It's cheaper to just go out and buy the $39 bargain basement DVD player at WalMart and keep replacing it annually when it breaks.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just came from Wal-Mart at Keeaumoku and they are still selling the Magnavox DP100MW8B DVD player for $33. Also the hole under the tray thing, it seems to apply to drives mounted for computers. I didn't see the hole on any of the DVD players that were displayed at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          I just came from Wal-Mart at Keeaumoku and they are still selling the Magnavox DP100MW8B DVD player for $33. Also the hole under the tray thing, it seems to apply to drives mounted for computers. I didn't see the hole on any of the DVD players that were displayed at Wal-Mart.
          $33 is cheap. And that's retail! Can you imagine how much WalMart is getting them in at wholesale?

I wish DVD manufacturers would use computer optical drives so when they go out you can simply install another one because typically the electronics don't go bad that fast.

Comment

Let's see DVD players. I have 2 Panasonic DVD players that can do MP3s, CDs and VCDs that cost about $99 each in 1999 and 2001.... and both work like a charm. I bought a cheap Yamanaha off-beat Chinese player a few years back and it broke after less than 2 years...
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My US Logic still works, my Akai I bought for $99 at Costco when $99 was cheap no longer works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                I guess tho I will be paying $360 + shipping for a portable Sony MiniDisc recorder that finally allows uploading, and will soon be unserviceable by Sony which has ditched the MD market.
                Man!! Did you invest into the MD format? I've been wary of Sony and their proprietary formats for years because they repeatedly do this. It has prevented me from buying a lot of their products over time.
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                  Man!! Did you invest into the MD format?
                  I did. I used it primarily for portable audio recording. I would have been completely satisfied had most units featured a USB hookup.

Comment

Re: DVD players for under $100?

How do I get rid of the "playback prohibited by area limitations" on Sony DVD players? I read where it's something to do with the region code.

Comment

Re: DVD players for under $100?

How do I fix a Sony DVD player that reads "playback prohibited by area limitations" when I try to play a downloaded DVD disc through Nero? Is it something to do with the region code?

Comment

Working...
                      X