X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A PC Virus that can ruin your reputation

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200911...irus_framed_me

Re: A PC Virus that can ruin your reputation

My reputation has already been ruined long ago.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

This defense was curtailed, however, when Loehrs ended her investigation in a dispute with the judge over her fees. Computer exams can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Defendants can ask the courts to pay, but sometimes judges balk at the price. Although Loehrs stopped working for Solon, she argues he is innocent.

Very scary.

I'm doing virus and malware scans after reading that.

Comment

It's things like this that reinforce my practice of keeping my identity private on this and other online forums. For all the chest-thumping that certain people revel in because they choose to reveal their full names publicly, there is always the threat of some crazed and obsessed wacko who will try to pull a stunt like this, if only to exact revenge against someone for a real or perceived slight.

I had the scary experience of some nut with an AOL account contacting my place of employment after he and I had an argument with each other on a Usenet newsgroup. That was about 13 years ago. I learned my lesson from that.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I hate that the article doesn't give you any real solution or tip to prevent this from happening to you. Not even a "always check for viruses" public announcement.
          Roseanne and Rambo in one tidy package.

Comment

Nor does it say which virus(es) are doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              It's things like this that reinforce my practice of keeping my identity private on this and other online forums. For all the chest-thumping that certain people revel in because they choose to reveal their full names publicly, there is always the threat of some crazed and obsessed wacko who will try to pull a stunt like this, if only to exact revenge against someone for a real or perceived slight.

I had the scary experience of some nut with an AOL account contacting my place of employment after he and I had an argument with each other on a Usenet newsgroup. That was about 13 years ago. I learned my lesson from that.
              OKAY, now that's a valid reason not to give out your real name. Thank's FM for that reasoning.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The lesson of keeping your identity secret, or the bigger lesson of avoiding internet arguments?

...joking with affection, FM ...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  The lesson of keeping your identity secret, or the bigger lesson of avoiding internet arguments?

That's why it pays to be humble.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Heh!

'Course, there's a lot more to the story than what I said. But I didn't want to bore anyone with the sordid details. Suffice it to say that being an online Mr. Congeniality won't protect me from the scammers and stalkers. It just makes everything much more simpler for me to remain incognito.

Speaking of cyber-smearing,.... in the wild west atmosphere of unmoderated usenet newsgroups in the 1990s, there were sick and deranged individuals who carried out elaborate vendettas against their targets. They would forge someone else's e-mail addy to make embarrassing posts. One vicous person I remember used someone else's e-mail addy to make posts on a gay discussion newsgroup and represented himself as a member of NAMBLA. That's bad enough. But this latest virus scheme takes it to a whole 'nother level.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...]Speaking of cyber-smearing,.... in the wild west atmosphere of unmoderated usenet newsgroups in the 1990s, there were sick and deranged individuals who carried out elaborate vendettas against their targets.[...]
                      Which is one of the many reasons the moderated group, soc.culture.hawaii, was created. There were several "sick and deranged individuals"...

Comment

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/technolog...nfects-iphones

Even worse than this.

Comment

Working...
                        X