Google Maps Street View for Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google Maps Street View for Oahu

Helen changed it. I tend to type it as I feel it.

I figured this was the place to post it instead of a new thread on a subject that may not hold interest to others.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

But don't you see that that makes more sense? If you post something about Sacred Falls in a new thread whose title is SACRED FALLS, people who aren't interested won't click on it and people who are will.

If you post something about Sacred Falls in a thread called GOOGLE STREET VIEW FOR OAHU, don't you see that (a) people who are interested in a discussion about Google Street View will be annoyed that they clicked on the thread thinking there was something new to discuss only to discover that the new post had nothing at all to do with Google Street View and (b) people who truly are interested in a discussion about whatever you saw at Sacred Falls but not the least bit interested in a discussion about Google Street View will miss the opportunity, and therefore so will you?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It has everything to do with google street.
        That's what I used to be able to see the point of interest that otherwise would never be seen by anyone.
        An example of yet another use for the device.

I'm FOR hijacking threads, it's not theft. It adds to the ride and can always be steered back to the OP.
        As figured, no-one's interested in the point anyway, so no sense for an entire thread.

Comment

Oh, I get it now. My apologies. So my initial confusion was closer to correct: you WERE talking about Google Street View. I just don't get how we were supposed to know you were talking about Sacred Falls. Maybe next time if you also include a link to the view or perhaps a screen-capture, it'll be easier for us to participate with you. Or at least tell us which mountain ridge, pool, or valley you're seeing.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Gosh, wasn't it beautiful today?!

Comment

for the last week of so i have seen the Google car with cameras on top heading towards south kona as i drive to north kona. it appears to be a rental cars chevy malibu with a roof rack and a post like mount for three or four cameras and a domed top fpr maybe a gps .
              i think we can expect some new upgrades for our area sometime soon.
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

While doing some Google street map viewing of Likelike Highway, I noticed an unusual scene that was photographed right in front of the Kaneohe-bound tunnel. I wonder if anyone else picked up on it. Click on:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.374846,-157.821275

Go to street view, and head forward towards Wilson Tunnels. Notice what is happening towards the left of the Kaneohe-bound tunnel.

There's a girl dressed in a blue top, standing next to what appears to be one of those makeshift roadside memorials. This memorial was set up to honor the victims of that horrific accident that took place there on February of 2009. You can't really the girl's face, as it looks like she's using her hand to wipe away tears.

One of those candid moments that just happened to be taking place while the Google camera was zooming by.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Spotted the Google Street View car (Hyundai SUV) parked at Diamond Head lookout yesterday afternoon, Sunday, August 14, 2011. Here's a few shots I took...

---->Two more images next post----->

What's funny is people passing by paid no attention to it, even with its loud graphics and "mysterious thing" on its roof, until I started snapping photos, then a small crowd began to gather around it.

If I were the driver, I'd sure be nervous parking that at a beach unattended like that. Of course, that's probably the most tracked vehicle on the planet, making any would-be thief an IDIOT to try and steal it. lol

Read more about it on Ryan's blog here: Google Street View Team Back in Honolulu [Updated]
                  Last edited by Pomai; August 15, 2011, 09:08 AM. Reason: typo
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

In that last photo, it looks like there's two very thick wiring harnesses tapped through the glass window. That's weird. Why didn't they just cut a hole through the metal roof? Fiber optics that can't be bent too much, perhaps?

I wanted to wait around for the "Google Guy" to come back to the car so I could chat with him or her, but was in a hurry to get somewhere.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      In that last photo, it looks like there's two very thick wiring harnesses tapped through the glass window. That's weird. Why didn't they just cut a hole through the metal roof? Fiber optics that can't be bent too much, perhaps?
                      Google is probably thinking about being able to restore the SUV to its "original" state once they are over and done with using that vehicle. It's a heckuva lot easier to replace a modified window pane than patching up a hole in the roof. Trust me.

I wanted to wait around for the "Google Guy" to come back to the car so I could chat with him or her, but was in a hurry to get somewhere.
                      I saw the Google SUV driving along Beretania last week, sometime during morning rush hour traffic.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

California plates. Nice gig, cruising around the highways and byways of paradise!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Google is probably thinking about being able to restore the SUV to its "original" state once they are over and done with using that vehicle. It's a heckuva lot easier to replace a modified window pane than patching up a hole in the roof. Trust me.
                          Ah, that makes total sense. But then there's the Street View graphic treatment that looks like it'll take a full body paint job to cover before they return it to the dealer.

Tutusue, I'm surprised Google didn't get really "cool" and use vanity plates such as "GOOGL1"

Being parked by the beach, I was just thinking how cool it would be if they started photo mapping the shorelines from a boat and perhaps call it Google Marine View. Or take that a step further (and deeper) and start photo mapping under the water as well!

Imagine going on Google Earth and being able to slip below the water surface for a suboceanic view of our surrounding waters. That would be SO AWESOME!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]
                            Tutusue, I'm surprised Google didn't get really "cool" and use vanity plates such as "GOOGL1"[...]
                            I guess they didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb by being so obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              California plates. Nice gig, cruising around the highways and byways of paradise!
                              Except I doubt they get to choose where to go. I'm sure there's a GPS navigation system telling them where to go. They're just a drive 'bot. Still, I can think think of far worse ways to earn a living.

Ah, that makes total sense. But then there's the Street View graphic treatment that looks like it'll take a full body paint job to cover before they return it to the dealer.
                              What do you want to bet that it's actually a sticker that can be removed?

Comment

Working...
                              X