Switching Anti-Virus programs safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Anti-Virus programs safely?

I need to make the switch soon from Norton/free to probably AVG/free.
    How do you do this correctly and safe?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Switching Anti-Virus programs safely?

The following is a general way of doing things (at least in my experiences):
    1. Make sure that the second anti-virus software is available to you, either by downloading from whatever web site you need to get it from or having the CD-ROM of it close by. At this stage you don't install it yet.
    2. Optional step: disconnect your system from the network
    3. Uninstall the first anti-virus software
    4. You might have to reboot the computer
    5. Install the second anti-virus software

Also between the time you uninstall the first anti-virus software to when the second anti-virus software is fully functional, don't visit web sites, don't run your email application or do any other kind of computing.

Comment

Cool.
      How do you uninstall?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        How do you do this correctly and safe?
        If I remember correctly, I kept my original anti-virus program, installed the new one, switched anti-virus programs via the security center, and uninstalled the old anti-virus program.

I'm no professional in this matter, but if I were in your position again, I'd make sure that my anti-malware and firewall programs (hint, not the firewall that comes with your operating system. I suggest Comodo) are fully operational during this transition.

Comment

Cool.
          How do you uninstall?
          Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall

Or you could use a dedicated uninstall program like Revo Uninstaller.

Comment

Sometimes the original anti-virus program won't let you install another because it will look at as suspicious.

Norton is a tough antivirus program to uninstall. If you do, use their uninstall utility instead of the add/remove programs utility that's on your Windows OS.

Before uninstalling run this program to clean out anything that is lingering.

Also turn off your System Restore because virus' love to hide here.

Once removed and System Restore turned off, reboot your computer in Safe Mode. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!

I go directly to www.download.com then search for AVG FREE. Do the Download/Install/update then reboot your computer back into it's normal mode and you're done.

Why go into Safe Mode? Because your system tray doesn't load up in this mode. Your system tray may harbor malware that will instruct your Windows Prefetch folder to reinstall anything an antivirus/spyware program may have taken out during a scan. If you boot in safe mode, the system tray doesn't load up hence the Prefetch folder isn't accessed.

Same goes for System Restore. Virus's can hide in these restore points. Antivirus programs cannot search in these areas and when you restore your computer to an earlier point, it launches the hidden virus.

It's a bit more complicated to do a safe method of removing and installing an antivirus software into your computer. The main thing to understand is what to disable to prevent lingering threats from exposing themselves during the time when your computer is the most vulnerable. Simply unplugging your ethernet cable sometimes isn't good enough as the virus is already in your computer hidden in the Prefetch Folder or the System Restore points.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Any particular reason why you're going with AVG? Microsoft recently came out with free anti-virus/spyware software that's been getting reasonably good reviews.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                Any particular reason why you're going with AVG? Microsoft recently came out with free anti-virus/spyware software that's been getting reasonably good reviews.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials
                And you trust MS? Kidding aside yes that MS product is good as you stated and I'm glad MS finally is backing it's name with a good OS and utilities once again.

One factor could be that many pc's out there are running the "hacked" version of XP PRO corporate edition where you can't load MS products because of WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage). If you buy a computer from someone and it's running XP ask them for the recovery disks. If they can't produce them, I'd stay away from it. Even if the OS is legit you can't repair it once it becomes corrupt. If it's illigit, you simply cannot run the updates or patches to keep it tight.

AVG Free edition is still rated as among the best that you don't need to shell out anything for.

Comment

if you use either RoadRunner or Hawn Tel for internet - they both have free A/V software to use.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Is there any chance that just letting Norton naturally run out of it's '2 mos. free' term would negate any part of the un-in' process mentioned?
                    The free is due to expire any moment.

AVG is a decently praised AV that ain't perfect but is worth free until I try something else. But Norton has been real good, so I'm hoping whatever I get is at least as good.
                    I'll homework the MS version.

Comment

Unfortunately you'll have to uninstall Norton. It will act like an antivirus that is in desperate need of updating if you simply let it expire.

Comment

Working...
                      X