wireless router issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless router issue?

My Haw Tel DSL has routinely arrived at my door at 100mps. My wireless used to send out at @ 54 mps but now I'm stuck at 2mps. Done the reboot etc.
    Any ideas?

Re: wireless router issue?

check your network connections. Check the packets and see how many packets were "sent" and "received". If there is a a good volume of "received" yet a poor volume of "sent" something is wrong at your end. If the "received" volume is poor it's what's coming into your router or computer.

Check all connections THEN reboot your system. Use this procedure on reboot:

1) Unplug Router and turn off computer
    2) Wait 12-15 seconds then power up your router
    3) Wait another 12-15 seconds to allow the router to establish itself with the Gateway (Hawaiian Tel)
    4) Power up your computer and let it "look" for the router.

It's important to follow these steps in powering back up devices. If you power both the router and computer at the same time, the computer may have stopped looking for the router before the router could establish itself with the gateway and you won't establish an internet connection or you may establish a bad one.

In networked printers you can set a delay on power up to allow the router to establish itself before the printer attempts to hook up to a network. And that goes for both wired and wireless network printers.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

still can't get it to stay above 2Mbps, Time for a new router

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
        still can't get it to stay above 2Mbps, Time for a new router
        Before getting a new router, try uninstalling your wifi adapter's drivers in your computer and reinstalling it. If you get the same speed, try going wired. If you get the same speed, then yeah I'd assume the router is heading south (and they do).

Comment

Before you do that. Is it possible for you to see the settings of your wireless router? One thing I would look for is to see how many systems your router is currently supporting.

By any chance is your wireless router doesn't require a password or a key to use it?

Is the signal strength that your system detect is that strong but still gives you 2 Mbps?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Before you do that. Is it possible for you to see the settings of your wireless router? One thing I would look for is to see how many systems your router is currently supporting.

By any chance is your wireless router doesn't require a password or a key to use it?

Is the signal strength that your system detect is that strong but still gives you 2 Mbps?
            just have 2 laptops on it and usually not at the same time.
            It is password protected
            signal strength is good to excellent. It's 100Mbps hard- wired. If I turn off and back on,it may go up to 48 but drops like a rock to a steady 2Mpbs. New router ordered but got the weird Amazon message, "this item can not be shipped to Hawaii" ...WTF? Ordered a different router from Amazon: no problem. I think their system is random

Comment

I realize you would have a password to administer the router. But say for example a friend comes over and wants to temporary use your wireless setup for a hour or two, would that friend require a password or a key to use your wireless setup?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                I realize you would have a password to administer the router. But say for example a friend comes over and wants to temporary use your wireless setup for a hour or two, would that friend require a password or a key to use your wireless setup?
                yes, a 10 digit code

Comment

well either Helen is eluding to the possibility that a wireless user is hoarding bandwidth on your computer, or I think your router is heading south. Put a coffee can over the aerial of your router and see if the throughput goes up. If nothing happens I think your router's going bad.

Comment

changed router= 54Mbps

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                      changed router= 54Mbps
                      it happens. I've gone thru three routers in six years

Comment

Slightly separate question: We just got an ASUS netbook, and it's in use about 40-50 feet from the wireless router, down a hall and thru a couple of doorways. Often I can't connect the ASUS to my own signal; I only get two bars and a "Fair" condition. There are four or five other signals in the neighborhood, so I can piggyback, but I'd rather use the Dynex router I bought for the purpose than somebody else's.

Is there a good explanation for why the signal isn't stronger?
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                          Slightly separate question: We just got an ASUS netbook, and it's in use about 40-50 feet from the wireless router, down a hall and thru a couple of doorways. Often I can't connect the ASUS to my own signal; I only get two bars and a "Fair" condition. There are four or five other signals in the neighborhood, so I can piggyback, but I'd rather use the Dynex router I bought for the purpose than somebody else's.

Is there a good explanation for why the signal isn't stronger?
                          Sure...you're 40-50 feet from the wireless router, down a hall and thru a couple of doorways. That's why you're getting two bars and a "Fair" condition. Get an "Access Point" and plug it in one of your four ports and move it down the hall a bit. Or buy a high-gain antenna that can screw onto your wireless router (Linksys has that ability) and increase your signal strength.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Sure...you're 40-50 feet from the wireless router, down a hall and thru a couple of doorways. That's why you're getting two bars and a "Fair" condition. Get an "Access Point" and plug it in one of your four ports and move it down the hall a bit. Or buy a high-gain antenna that can screw onto your wireless router (Linksys has that ability) and increase your signal strength.
                            What's an Access Point? I've checked, and this antenna doesn't unscrew. Coat hanger taped onto it, maybe?

The box claims this thing has a range of about 400 feet, too, so a tenth of that seems like it should be doable, no?

Added: I've looked at the config for the router and there's a setting for "use as access point." You think that would work? It gives me the following instructions:

"When using the Router as an Access Point, you must specify an IP address for the Access Point. This IP address must fall into the same range as the network that you will be connecting it to. To access the advanced setup interface of the Router again, type in the IP address in the web browser and login."

So what IP address should I use? The same as the router (192.blah blah)? It also says that enabling bypasses routing and firewall instructions. That doesn't sound like I should do it, unless I'm misunderstanding what that means.
                            Last edited by Linkmeister; January 30, 2010, 03:37 PM.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

an access point looks like a wireless router but has no ports. It simply acts like a repeater for your wireless router. I've used them for just the reasons you are having including the inability to unscrew my wireless router's antenna. This is why in the future I'm only buying wireless routers such as a Linksys router that can unscrew it's antennas so I can install a high-gain antenna, set a remote antenna more central to my house or simply put up an outside aerial for maximum range.

Comment

Working...
                              X