BEWARE False Malware/Virus Alerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE False Malware/Virus Alerts

Since logging today I have been besieged with a number of false virus alerts using alarm sounds and a convincing pop-up window, and even the Microsoft virus warning shield.

Problem is - it's reporting disk drives I don't even have! I have a c:, but it tells me my CD drives (which I don't have) are also infected, and directs me to download some new virus software.

Lucky I didn't. My Avast! software told me they were trying to implant their OWN viruses, and I stopped them.

I hope.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: BEWARE False Malware/Virus Alerts

Download Malwarebytes free:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Park it on your desktop and then disconnect from the net.

Go into your security and turn off the system restore (you can turn it back on later) 'cause sometimes ransomware, viruses and trojans can hide there in a protected environment and reinstall itself later.

Reboot if you need to

Run the malwarebytes program, it'll find and clean out all the places the fake ransomware virus program is hiding and get rid of it for you.

Reboot and run your virus proggy, then turn system restore back on and hook back up to the net.

Comment

a-Squared Free will kill it also and find anything else you might have hiding.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Comment

I had the same problem recently on different computers. I used Malwarebytes. And my computer guru recommended changing the password of my email account.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=18206

I just had that problem with something called Antivirus XP 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=18206

I just had that problem with something called Antivirus XP 2010.
            I called Road Runner and they said that's one of the names this malware is using. Others include PC DEfender, and about 5 others. It'sa real online problem right now.

RR had me install their own security system (thanks for telling me earlier) and it seems to have stopped for the timke being.

When I get more energy I'll try that other thing as well.
            ~ ~

Comment

I just cleaned out a powerbook G4 running OSX that had a trojan hiding in it. Didn't do much except slow it down a bit but it was attempting to poll the hard drive. I moved data files to another partition and the polling halted. It was an older Trojan Dialer virus and this mac had no antivirus protection like all the macs I've seen over this past year. Plenty of G3's running OS9 getting hit (I've done eight so far this year).
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100420/...urity_symantec

These guys keep making humbug.

Comment

some quick advice. if you see one of those pop up ads that are warning you about fake/bogus antivirus - - -> just start shutting down your pc.

don't click anywhere on the ad, including the "x" in the upper left corner. you may just be executing a remote installation of malware.

Comment

On those pop up ads, do not attempt to close it using the X in the upper right hand corner of that ad. Use the "Alt F4" combination and that will shut it down before it can replicate itself.

Once that's done go to Start/Run and enter "msconfig" go to the "Start Up" tab and look for that pop up ad disguised as a utility and delete it.

Reboot your computer and it should go away.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      On those pop up ads, do not attempt to close it using the X in the upper right hand corner of that ad. Use the "Alt F4" combination and that will shut it down before it can replicate itself.

Once that's done go to Start/Run and enter "msconfig" go to the "Start Up" tab and look for that pop up ad disguised as a utility and delete it.

Absolutely on the mark on this one, Craig.

One other strange thing I have noticed. For the last couple of days, I've run into occasional pop-up ads on this very site. It's one of those ads that give you a choice of "free" stuff that really isn't free when you carefully read the fine print. Is this something that other people have been experiencing?
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

I have had to use the ctrl-alt-del X2 in order for them to 'go away.'
                        Perhaps it is the versio n I;m on.
                        More and more, things like this tell me it's time to go Apple!
                        \
                        Is this a corporate takeover?
                        ~ ~

Comment

Ctrl/Alt/Del (three finger salute) only stops the process once activated. These malware programs want you to hit that red X in their window. It's not a red X, it's really an "Okay" button to download or install the malware.

Alt-F4 stops the process before it can be activated.

Many of these types of malware and some viruses also hide in the Windows Prefetch folder (located in your Windows System32 folder). You can eliminate the bug but when you reboot, Windows goes to the Prefetch folder to install .exe files. AOL, Roadrunner and other use the Windows Prefetch folder to ensure their software boots up with your computer, so do viruses and malware.

Comment

http://news.techworld.com/security/3...ws-xp/?olo=rss

I thought McAfee made the best antivirus software.

Comment

Working...
                            X