Powerbook clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbook clock

All of a sudden it stopped working. I went to system preferences>date & time and reset it. It's still at the time I reset it to a half hour ago. What might the problem be? Something serious? I sure hope not!

Powerbook G4
    OS 10.4.11

Re: Powerbook clock

And the computer is still operating even though the clock display hasn't been updating?

Is the timezone set to HST or GMT-10?

What about the date is that still set for the current date?

By any chance do you use an email program on that Powerbook?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      And the computer is still operating even though the clock display hasn't been updating?

Is the timezone set to HST or GMT-10?

What about the date is that still set for the current date?

By any chance do you use an email program on that Powerbook?
      The computer is still working...I'm using it now.
      Time zone is set to HST.
      It's still the current date but I expect it won't change because the clock isn't moving forward.
      Yes, I use Eudora. I just sent myself an email and the time stamp was accurate.

Comment

When you turn on your computer first thing, does it take unusually long to boot up? And when it does is the time correctly set?

Unplug your laptop remove the battery and let it sit for about an hour, replace the battery, plug it in and reboot. Does the time and date stay current?

If not you need to replace the PRAM battery. Similar to the CMOS battery in most PC's when these go your Mac will take a longer time to boot up and will reset to an earlier date.

I just replaced two PRAM batteries in two iMac G3's. Your's probably costs roughly $12.00. I buy all of my Mac repair parts from Other World Computing, where their parts are reasonable and they ship via USPS 1st class and for $1.95 they shipped two batteries in five days.

BTW in PC's if the time/date won't advance typically a virus has attacked it rendering the antivirus protection without the capability to update. Once the virus detects an old antivirus database it launches an attack. The two iMac's had similar Trojan Dialers I've found in other Macs including a Powerbook G4 and an iMac G5 desktop.

I've been receiving Macs more often lately with viruses. I have five more Macs waiting for analysis. This past three months, I've been working on more Macs than PC's with virus-related issues than ever before.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 24, 2010, 07:21 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I thought there was another, internal battery but I've never had to replace that in any Mac I've owned so it's not something I automatically think of. I haven't noticed a longer boot but I have noticed a longer shut down. Since I'm working tonight I'll unplug, shut down and remove the battery before I go to bed. I just remembered I have Procare so I made an appt. at the Apple Store tomorrow afternoon. Gonna back up tonight...just in case!

Comment

These batteries whether PC or Mac run about 5-years before quitting. They are Lithium batteries and are socketted or plugged in on the motherboard. Laptops are a bitch to open especially Macs.

I'm glad for IE8 as I'm trying to keep up with your posts on FB and HT at the same time!!!
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 24, 2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Now, all of a sudden, the clock is working. Definitely time for a check-up!

Craig, may I assume IE8 is Internet Explorer? Does it have a feature that allows you to follow people regardless of where they post. Egads, I can't imagine my posts are interesting enough to follow, altho' I do have a following for my daily thankful posts on FB!!! Who'da thunk?!!!

Comment

I had a similar problem on my PC in the last week. I searched the Internet for a solution. Found something that worked. I went into the "Task Manager" and deleted the "explorer.exe" function. I then went to "new task" and typed in "explorer.exe". The clock reset and went back to current as well as a couple of other desktop icons that had disappeared.

I don't know how that might relate to a MAC since I have never owned one, but a lot of people have been having this problem with their PC.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Now, all of a sudden, the clock is working. Definitely time for a check-up!

Craig, may I assume IE8 is Internet Explorer? Does it have a feature that allows you to follow people regardless of where they post. Egads, I can't imagine my posts are interesting enough to follow, altho' I do have a following for my daily thankful posts on FB!!! Who'da thunk?!!!
                  Wow that's an interesting IE function and yes IE8 is Internet Explorer 8. I'm not familiar with a utility that allows one to follow their posts but I would assume it would be a major intrusion into your privacy and one that I would disable if possible. I've never seen it on my computer running IE8.

As for FB what are you at, 155 going into 156?
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 25, 2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Yesterday was 156!

So, the clock problem was related to memory. I need more. Time for a new thread!!!

Comment

Does the clock have the correct time twice a day?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        I had a similar problem on my PC in the last week. I searched the Internet for a solution. Found something that worked. I went into the "Task Manager" and deleted the "explorer.exe" function. I then went to "new task" and typed in "explorer.exe". The clock reset and went back to current as well as a couple of other desktop icons that had disappeared.

I don't know how that might relate to a MAC since I have never owned one, but a lot of people have been having this problem with their PC.
                        In your case you stopped Internet Explorer from running then started it up again. Somewhere IE was "not responding" and you probably have your time and date set to "Internet Time" where as IE will set your clock's time and date according to some server somewhere in this cyberworld. If IE stops running and locks up so will your clock.

IE is a memory hog and will consume much of your system memory enough to cause your desktop to not refresh and not displaying your desktop icons. Best thing to do is to use another internet browser like Eudora, Opera, Firefox, even Google Chrome and Safari that use less of your system memory.

And if possible take out those search bars like Yahoo, Bing, MSN, whatever. They use even more memory. Take them out and you'll see a faster interaction with the internet.

Comment

Working...
                        X