Powerbook Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Powerbook Memory

Hmmm...I wonder what caused the memory to drop so significantly when I opened Eudora.

Comment

While the messages themselves are stored on the hard drive, perhaps the index to those messages are in RAM. I take it you store all of your messages in one or two folders (inbox and sent mail)?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        While the messages themselves are stored on the hard drive, perhaps the index to those messages are in RAM. I take it you store all of your messages in one or two folders (inbox and sent mail)?
        Probably closer to 100.

Comment

In each browser, applications are in use such as search bars and such. Web-based email stores the emails on their servers, that's the beauty of web-based email accounts, you crash your computer, your email and everything associated with it such as contacts, drafts, saved email and even the trashed email is preserved.

It is those applications running in each browser that is affecting your RAM count. Viruses and spyware also can attribute to highter RAM counts simply because they are also applications that are running when you open your email client. Like Trojan Dialer type viruses, when you open your internet browser or any program associated with the internet, it will notify a remote computer that you are online and to start searching your hard drive for relevant information or even shadow your internet browsing to determine what you are looking at or what passwords you are using. Viruses and sypware such as these also corrupt your anti-virus making it look past these cyber-criminals. Whenever you do a subsequent scan these security tools are directed to bypass the intruder making you think you are secure.

The only way to detect these intrusions after the fact is to literally remove the hard drive from the computer and scan it in another unaffected computer with updated anti-virus/spyware software.

You can try using an online scanner such as ESET online scanner, however from my experiences once a computer is infected, ESET won't start up at all.

Bottom line in your case, something that is consuming a lot of system memory is running within your browsers. Too bad Google Chrome isn't Mac compatible yet. It's a stripped down and lightweight browser with little bells and whistles to increase RAM count.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            [...]...it will notify a remote computer that you are online and to start searching your hard drive for relevant information or even shadow your internet browsing to determine what you are looking at or what passwords you are using.[...]
            Even with a Mac?

Comment

Here's a list of a few viruses that can affect a Mac:

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macint..._Resources.htm

Comment

If it is something's porting something either into or out of your computer thru Firefox.
                Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I have no idea what that means!
                "porting" in this context means that it is copying.

I was also kind of wondering by any chance do you know what version of Firefox you are using on that Macintosh and by any chance do you know if it was updated recently?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  "porting" in this context means that it is copying.

I was also kind of wondering by any chance do you know what version of Firefox you are using on that Macintosh and by any chance do you know if it was updated recently?
                  "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3"
                  I have Firefox set to update automatically.

Comment

Even with a Mac?
                    Surprise surprise...yes even macs can catch colds. And that's what I've been warning Mac users for at least a couple of years that Macs can get viruses. The fact that I've been seeing an increase in Mac Attacks in recent months has pretty much told me hackers have had enough with Apple already. Apple has become so mainstream that it's now boring to hack PC's. Plus with advances with Windows 7, Microsofts latest offerings are safer than Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                      Here's a list of a few viruses that can affect a Mac:

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macint..._Resources.htm
                      And like the need to update any antivirus database, the list grows everyday unfortunately

Comment

I ordered a 1 gb RAM module from OWC (thx, Craig) and with zztype's cheerleading emails, was able to *almost* install it myself! Got a little professional help to get the module to click into place. Booted up. Everything seemed ok for a short while. Then...everything started crashing, including the OS. Removed the module and everything is fine. Am awaiting an RA from OWC and will try a replacement. Hopefully, this time, I can install it myself with no help! And, it'll work!

Comment

Sounds like you may have the wrong memory. Even if it says it's the same type of RAM, clock speeds, latency and other technical specs that differ such as DDR vs DDR2 can cause systems to crash. It's not the OS it's the BIOS (the onboard program loaded onto your motherboard).

Sometimes you have to do a CMOS reset. For some it requires moving a jumper for several seconds (12-15 sec) then setting that jumper back.

However in laptops that isn't quite that simple. In a lot of laptops (including macs) you remove the main battery, leave your AC adapter plugged in, press and hold the power button while unplugging the AC adapter from the computer. Keep holding the power button for about 30-seconds. Release the power button, insert the battery and AC adapter and turn on the computer the usual way.

That works on some laptops, not all but I've been successful doing that with Dell, Acer, and Mac iBook and powerbook G4 laptops.

In some instances this CMOS reset (PRAM reset if mac) may reset your clock and date plus other BIOS changes back to factory settings. If it does, boot up will take a bit longer than normal and you will get an on-screen indication that you need to reset your time and date in order for your antivirus and other time/date relevent programs to run.

Comment

Sounds like you may have the wrong memory.[...]
                            That's what I'm hoping it is. Everything else you wrote went ***whoooosh*** right over my head! Appreciate the info, tho', but it just doesn't register with my tutu brain!

When I requested an RA online I had to input some info regarding my computer. Maybe OWC will be able to see where the problem is.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping it is. Everything else you wrote went ***whoooosh*** right over my head! Appreciate the info, tho', but it just doesn't register with my tutu brain!

When I requested an RA online I had to input some info regarding my computer. Maybe OWC will be able to see where the problem is.
                              For PC'ers we have to go thru this all the time to our detriment however it makes us more akamai in solving it (other than simply buying a mac), however I can now understand why Mac repair shops can be called "Genius Bars"

Comment

Working...
                              X