HP laptop help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP laptop help

I've had my HP Pavillion laptop for 2 years. The battery quit holding a charge after 6 months or so, but that was a minor inconvenience as my laptop stays on my desk 99% of the time.

Now it has no power whatsoever. I was told that this is a common problem, that the plug in port is connected poorly to the motherboard, and that it was just a matter of time before it needed fixing. Thank yo supergeek! This is crazy! Do i really have to spend half the cost of the computer itself for a new motherboard? Can't I just open 'er up and solder it back myself? And what will happen to all my stored info - could I lose it?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: HP laptop help

I would check to see if the laptop power adapter is working or the wiring on it is still looking good and not sufferring from things coming apart.

By any chance do you have access to volt-ohm-meter?

Look at the laptop power adapter to see what the DC voltage ratings are and use the volt-ohm-meter to confirm if the power adapter is working or not.

Comment

Same thing happened to my HP. I needed new AC power adapter. As I recall it was about $15 on Ebay. Works fine now.

Good Luck
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        I've had my HP Pavillion laptop for 2 years. The battery quit holding a charge after 6 months or so, but that was a minor inconvenience as my laptop stays on my desk 99% of the time.

Now it has no power whatsoever. I was told that this is a common problem, that the plug in port is connected poorly to the motherboard, and that it was just a matter of time before it needed fixing. Thank yo supergeek! This is crazy! Do i really have to spend half the cost of the computer itself for a new motherboard? Can't I just open 'er up and solder it back myself? And what will happen to all my stored info - could I lose it?
        To answer your questions:

Yes you can open it up yourself and solder it back, provided you have the patience to do so and the soldering skills. But it can be done here's how after watching the video you may tell yourself, "yes it's worth the cost to have someone else do it".

If you want to repair it yourself, a simple Ebay search will find vendors willing to sell you replacement jacks anywhere from $10 to $40 shop carefully.

Regarding your data, it's safely stored on the hard drive which can be removed and the data downloaded elsewhere if you are going to trash your defective laptop instead of repairing it. So no you won't lose your stored info.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 21, 2010, 02:07 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X