Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

I end up doing this from time to time, but I'm again thinking of moving to satellite from cable. I like my network programming, so pulling the plug entirely and using Hulu isn't on my radar. I know what Oceanic Time Warner offers and have seen a friend's Dish Network HD setup (2 smaller dishes), but I'm not familiar with Directv locally. I've seen the two huge 1.2 meter dishes from Directv (I think) in my neighborhood and that is totally nuts. My biggest obstacle to moving to satellite are the humongous dishes that may be required.

Anyone have experience with the cost comparison, channels, and features of each? I don't use the UH PPV offerings and might miss OC16 a little, but I can live without those. Any personal insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

Dish is cheaper with better packages but it's the reception issue. DirecTV is more expensive but the reception is MUCH BETTER than Dish.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've been on Direct TV for about a year - excellent reception and more than enough channels for me. I don't know about price because I have it thru my landlord's account. We were on Dish Network for awhile but none of us really liked it.

the dish is roof mounted and isn't all that big. but my bus driver does tease me and call it my karaoke club!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I switched from Oceanic to DirecTV 3 years ago, because I wanted more HD channels. Once I changed I was very pleased with how much better the DirecTV DVRs work -- they're slower, but they do much more. The picture quality on DirecTV is as least as good. I've never had Dish, so I can't compare that for you. A nice thing about DirecTV if you're a nerd is that you can test new versions of the system firmware for the satellite boxes and put in your two cents about what you like, what you don't, what features you'd like to see added. I think that's a lot of fun.

One 1.2 meter dish is enough for DirecTV these days, probably. They put up a new satellite last Spring which can be seen, together with several old ones, with just a single large dish, and all the English language channels except for a few of the Sonic Tap music channels can be received with just one dish.
        Last edited by GregLee; September 24, 2010, 01:38 PM.
        Greg

Comment

Taking the actual dish out of the equation, why do you think that Directv or Dish service hasn't caught on yet? Is the price difference not significant enough to cause people to switch?

Comment

I think one reason might be that people have "bundled" services - cable, internet & telephone service in one package.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
              Taking the actual dish out of the equation, why do you think that Directv or Dish service hasn't caught on yet? Is the price difference not significant enough to cause people to switch?
              I also believe having a dish may pose a problem for some living in planned communities. I have two big dishes in my backyard to get the HD package. I can't imagine some places like Kapolei allowing these massive white disks pointing southward in your small backyard.

Comment

all the dishes aren't that big though. the one on my roof is only about 3 ft across. but yes, you are correct - i'm sure some really strict HOA's won't even allow one that size.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  all the dishes aren't that big though. the one on my roof is only about 3 ft across. but yes, you are correct - i'm sure some really strict HOA's won't even allow one that size.
                  I got two of those 3-foot diameter dishes for the HD package. That can take up some valuable real estate for those zero-property lots. I got just over an acre so I'm not concerned too much.

Comment

We get DVR problems all the time with Oceanic. Some networks' stuff is heavily pixilated and unwatchable, while others are fine.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      We get DVR problems all the time with Oceanic. Some networks' stuff is heavily pixilated and unwatchable, while others are fine.
                      Back when I had Oceanic, I was getting heavy pixelization on some channels. I thought it was a problem on their end and called to complain. The CSR I talked to said I might have a problem with my cabling -- oh, sure, I thought, what do you expect a CSR to say? -- and he wanted to send someone to my house to check. So I agreed. An Oceanic technician came out and replaced all my cabling (no charge), and, by golly, no more pixelization. The CSR was right, and it was my cables (or splitter or video transformer or filter, or something of that sort).
                      Greg

Comment

So why are some channels OK and others not? Also, shows that are watchable in real time pixilate during recording....
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          So why are some channels OK and others not? Also, shows that are watchable in real time pixilate during recording....
                          For the first, a defect in cabling or filter may affect some frequencies more than others, and different channels are carried over the cable at different frequencies. For the second, if you mean that you can watch a program as it is being recorded and see no pixelization, but then go back and watch that very recording and see pixelization, then I agree that that seems to rule out a problem with your cables.
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                            Back when I had Oceanic, I was getting heavy pixelization on some channels. I thought it was a problem on their end and called to complain. The CSR I talked to said I might have a problem with my cabling -- oh, sure, I thought, what do you expect a CSR to say? -- and he wanted to send someone to my house to check. So I agreed. An Oceanic technician came out and replaced all my cabling (no charge), and, by golly, no more pixelization. The CSR was right, and it was my cables (or splitter or video transformer or filter, or something of that sort).
                            My brother in law works for Oceanic. He helped set us up with one of the first digital set top boxes as a test along with RR in Kaimuki. Back then the reception was all pixelated so I ended up dropping that pilot program in favor of the traditional analog.

As for your cables, you can't use the older cables as they lacked certain shielding. Some of the older splitters also weren't bi-directional so thru-put was not consistant. Also the crimps couldn't leak RF and the older crimps had to be replaced.

Comment

Is NGN available on DirecTV or Dish?

Comment

Working...
                              X