Beware: "System Tools" virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware: "System Tools" virus

I was scanning Ebay the day before Christmas, when I got zapped by the "System Tools" malware. The thing took over my computer completely. I don't know how it got through my security software. Nothing I did could clean the thing from my screen. It was holding my computer ransom by demanding $60 to delete it!

Fortunately, I was able to get on another computer andd googled "system tools." It is a common malware that is demanding money from people. One site suggested downloading "malwarebytes.com" free software to delete this virus as well as other viruses. I was able to do this and initiated a full scan of my computer. It found 5 malware viruses and deleted them all. I am a very satisfied customer of malwarebytes.com

DO NOT DOWNLOAD "SYSTEM TOOLS!'
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Beware: "System Tools" virus

this happened to me too when i was surfing thru several links.
    the malwarebytes is a helpful hint. thanks.
    I use kaspersky for security and it got thru somehow.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      I was scanning Ebay the day before Christmas, when I got zapped by the "System Tools" malware.
      DO NOT DOWNLOAD "SYSTEM TOOLS!'
      I take it then while going thru Ebay there was a message about "Do you want to download "System Tools!"?

Also what antivirus software are you running on your computer at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        I take it then while going thru Ebay there was a message about "Do you want to download "System Tools!"?
        No, there was no warning. It just downloaded itself. It then said I had 36 viruses on my computer (I didn't). It then asked me if I wanted to download the System Tools antivirus for $60. I hit "no," but it then sent me into an endless loop to download the "antivirus software." What you want to do is download Malwarebytes to kill this thing. I think what System Tools is really trying to do is get your credit card number and then clone it.

Also what antivirus software are you running on your computer at the time?
        I am running Avira security software. But I think System Tools has found a way to get around all popular antivirus software. I'm sure the popular software suites will be updating soon to eliminate this threat.

After running a system scan with Malwarebytes, everything is back to normal. More information about the System Tool virus on this site.
        Last edited by matapule; December 26, 2010, 10:03 AM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

No, there was no warning. It just downloaded itself. It then said I had 36 viruses on my computer (I didn't). It then asked me if I wanted to download the System Tools antivirus for $60. I hit "no," but it then sent me into an endless loop to download the "antivirus software.".
          Hitting "no," or even clicking the top right-hand "X" is exactly what the virus programmers are hoping that people will do.

You're better off going to Task Manager, and clicking on End Task to close out malwares like that. Then do an anti-virus/malware scan.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

No, there was no warning. It just downloaded itself. It then said I had 36 viruses on my computer (I didn't). It then asked me if I wanted to download the System Tools antivirus for $60. I hit "no," but it then sent me into an endless loop to download the "antivirus software."
            It didn't download when you first saw it - it just ran an animation like a pop-up ad, with the bogus claim of virus infection. It started infecting you when you clicked on it. FM's solution is the path to follow:
            Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            You're better off going to Task Manager, and clicking on End Task to close out malwares like that. Then do an anti-virus/malware scan.
            Also, be sure you regularly update your anti-malware program; it's good to be in the habit of doing so just before you go on the internet daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              It wouldn't let me open Task Manager. Tried that. And tried to do an Uninstall, since there was a shortcut icon on my desktop. But it wasn't listed in Programs. I had to shut the computer down and then go into Safe Mode when I rebooted it. Then I was able to go to the Malwaresbyte site and downloaded and ran that program to clean things up. It wouldn't let me go to the Malwarebytes site in normal mode. This thing is insideous! Maybe it was just a popup, but it took over complete control of my computer.

I just re-read your advice, I think maybe I did hit NO before I tried the Task Manager. I'll go to Task Manager first next time. The Free version of Malwarebytes requires that you update manually and scan manually. The paid version of Malwarebytes includes a Scheduler.
              Last edited by matapule; December 26, 2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It uses the same method as "Microsoft Security Essentials Alert" and its cousin "Security Essentials 2011." It doesn't ask if you want to download the program as it downloads itself on your computer. It just comes on when you're surfing the net. So I try to pull the plug as fast as I can and not click on anything with that scam.

Comment

It wouldn't let me open Task Manager. Tried that. And tried to do an Uninstall, since there was a shortcut icon on my desktop. But it wasn't listed in Programs. I had to shut the computer down and then go into Safe Mode when I rebooted it. Then I was able to go to the Malwaresbyte site and downloaded and ran that program to clean things up. It wouldn't let me go to the Malwarebytes site in normal mode. This thing is insideous! Maybe it was just a popup, but it took over complete control of my computer.

I just re-read your advice, I think maybe I did hit NO before I tried the Task Manager. I'll go to Task Manager first next time. The Free version of Malwarebytes requires that you update manually and scan manually. The paid version of Malwarebytes includes a Scheduler.
                  Try simply hitting Alt-F4 to close that window.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Try simply hitting Alt-F4 to close that window.
                    It wasn't a window, it just took over my desktop and the computer. This virus WAS nasty. It loaded itself while on Ebay. Some say that it is being put out by one of the major AV suites, because it has been out for quite a while, yet Norton, Symantic, Kapersky, AVG is not catching it. I don't know, go figure.

But to be clear, I no longer have a problem after running that anti-malware program I talk about, I don't want to say the name again. No, I don't own stock in the company, just a satisfied user.

Comment

I love Chrome and firefox.

If you are "forced" to dl anything(besides a system update)leave. Though you may have even been compromised by getting the message, just stop what you are doing and run a scan.

malwarebytes

Addaware

spyboyS&D

and hitman. Great online, FREE tools to protect you.
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

A similar experience on the late little PC, a box pops up on a medical search, no way to get out of it, I just killed the power. Scans showed an infection in an area called "kernel", AVG and Win Cleaner said they had eliminated it, but you could tell it was still there because it would direct to bogus ads, the kind that if you clicked them on you knew you'd be downloading another virus. Classic trojan horse. Finally, it managed to download several other trojans, the local computer fix it guy said it was a lost cause, so bye bye PC, forever. Now with an Apple, no guarantees its virus proof but what I find a treat about it is, no scans, no rebooting, I spent a phenomenal amount of time doing that with the late little PC. You know how I have said I don't like the death penalty? Well for shiri no ana who produce these viruses and trojans, I do, I would machete them into stew meat and feed them to pigs if I got the chance.

Comment

I use Avast! free virus protection software, and it has caught and eliminated everything so far. It caught something similar to this, about a month ago, but I don't recall the name.

Thanks everyone for alerts and instructions!
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Although feeding their miserable remains to pigs would be the ideal solution, I doubt if its going to happen. Unfortunately. The way to discourage that kind of #$#$ is the financial path, laws to impose gargantuan damages against the perpetrators. The act is beyond mere conversion, it is theft pure and simple, it deserves horrendous financial punishment, a simple act to require forfeiture of all family assets that exist or ever come into existence would probably do it, plus hard labor prison time. Seriously, get serious with these SOBs, they have caused more than enough misery in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                              I would machete them into stew meat and feed them to pigs if I got the chance.
                              What did the pigs ever do?!

But, I would delite in watching the machete thingy, as I got the smart engine trojan bugging me now...
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X