svchost.exe Application Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svchost.exe Application Error

This pop-up message is annoying and makes my computer run slower.

Re: svchost.exe Application Error

What version of windows are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      What version of windows are you using?
      Windows XP.

Comment

So what does the message say? And do these pop-ups occur when you visit a website?

Comment

So what does the message say? And do these pop-ups occur when you visit a website?
          The instruction at "0x001a16b0" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "written".
          Click on OK to terminate the program
          Click on CANCEL to debug the program

It pops up every 5 minutes when I click it off. It's so annoying that I just put it at the lower right of the screen.

Comment

Does this message appear after you turn on the computer, logon to it and just do nothing at the desktop?

And the text in the window title strip does it say "svchost.exe Application error" or does it say something else?

Comment

Does this message appear after you turn on the computer, logon to it and just do nothing at the desktop?

Yes, it appears when I turn on the computer.

And the text in the window title strip does it say "svchost.exe Application error" or does it say something else?
              Yes, that's the title.

Comment

I googled it and it appears you have a virus. If you google it, you can find instructions to remove it.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I would suggest checking www.microsoft.com and see what it suggest for your problem.

Comment

This may not necessarily be a virus. A svchost.exe is an executable file that is needed to run application files on your pc in the form of .dll files. svchost.exe is a valid file.

Windows XP cannot load .dll files on their own so they need to launch under a service host. One critical .dll file is your run.dll file. Without that file your computer simply won't boot to the desktop. Eliminating a svchost.exe file may leave you unable to boot to the desktop.

Before removing ANY svchost.exe files make sure you know what kind of .dll files it is hosting.

Try running a registry cleaner before attempting to mess with a svchost.exe file.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

No one suggested removing a file. Just google the problem and follow the best procedural option. It works.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I still have this problem. I try downloading some removal files of this bug. But, it resulted in blocking access to the internet. Most are of pay to activate the service. I don't want to do that because the means the terrorists have won.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                          No one suggested removing a file. Just google the problem and follow the best procedural option. It works.
                          Sorry salmoned, when I read your post #8 I thought you meant remove the svchost.exe file which you identified as a virus.

Comment

I tried System Restore. But, it ends up with an incomplete in the restoring point. Is there something in this bug that's blocking the System Restore from completing the task?

Comment

System Restore is doing it's job. Remember svchost.exe is a legitimate file. Even if it's corrupted it's needed to host .dll files that are necessary to boot and run your OS. Like a flat tire on your car, remove that defective tire and your car won't go anywhere. Keep that flat tire on the car and at least you can limp the car somewhere.

You can try reinstalling the entire file application within that particular svchost file but you have to note exactly where in Windows that file is and reinstall all of its subfiles. Some of these files are common to all files within similar Windows OS, so you can go to a donor PC, find that same svchost file and copy it to a thumbdrive. Then go to your infected PC and replace the entire application file, saving the corrupted file to a safe location on that computer's hard drive in the event that replaced application file is different.

Or you can dissect that svchost.exe file and carefully look for abnormalities that would identify a corrupt or infected .dll file within. It's easier to simply replace that entire svchost file with a similar one from a donor PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X