Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless phones & ac adapters

An untechie tutu question:

Are the adapters interchangeable between cordless phone bases? IOW, can I remove the old phone and plug that phone's adapter end into the new phone's base? They look identical. Different brands. Don't wanna blow up 666 condos!

Re: Cordless phones & ac adapters

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    An untechie tutu question:

Are the adapters interchangeable between cordless phone bases? IOW, can I remove the old phone and plug that phone's adapter end into the new phone's base? They look identical. Different brands. Don't wanna blow up 666 condos!
    666??? The Number of the Beast! Whew.

Make sure the specifications are the same, amps, watts, output voltage, and be sure the +/- indicators match and you should be good to go.

Best bet, however, is to use the new one, and if it matches, keep the old one in reserve (even electric parts wear down). Or vice-versa, use the old one and keep the new one in reserve. But only if the printed or embossed specifications match 100%!
    Last edited by Kaonohi; March 6, 2011, 12:43 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The best way to answer this question is to look at the label of each of the adapters and of the devices that use them.

The thing to look out for is the output of the adapter.

For example the various adapters lying my desk says:

Originally posted by adapter#1
      Output: 12.0V, 1000mA
      There is a symbol that says that the center of the plug is postive.
      Originally posted by adapter#2
      Output: 7.5V, 1.4A
      Symbol that says the center of the plug is postive
      Originally posted by adapter#3
      Output: 5.0V, 350mA
      No symbol that says if the center of the plug is postive or negative
      The 3rd adapter is my cell phone recharger, while the other two are used to power controller development boards

Comment

Thanks, Kaonohi and Helen. Very helpful. Everything's the same except output. One is 6.5V, 500mA. The other is 9V, 350mA. Guess it's time to unroute the old cord and reroute the new one. Was hoping to avoid that!

Comment

Thanks, Kaonohi and Helen. Very helpful. Everything's the same except output. One is 6.5V, 500mA. The other is 9V, 350mA. Guess it's time to unroute the old cord and reroute the new one. Was hoping to avoid that!
          Helen was the real hero, with specific examples - I was only the Distant Early Warning System. Lucky you didn't try it without asking! Hooray HT!!!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Heh! The only reason I didn't try it without asking is 'cuz the old phone is a 5.8 GHz and the new phone is a DECT 6.0...whatever the heck that means!!! And, yes...HT rocks! <smooch>

Comment

Re: Cordless phones &amp; ac adapters

Heh! The only reason I didn't try it without asking is 'cuz the old phone is a 5.8 GHz and the new phone is a DECT 6.0...whatever the heck that means!!! And, yes...HT rocks! <smooch>
              Just different transmission standards; DECT = Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications. 6.0 is the USA standard, slightly different from those used in other regions, because of radio frequency usage in the US.

Comment

I pay $39 for a set of 4 cordless phones from Heartland America and when the batteries run out on the phones I pay $25-30 for each battery!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  I pay $39 for a set of 4 cordless phones from Heartland America and when the batteries run out on the phones I pay $25-30 for each battery!!
                  This is exactly why I bought a new phone! It cost more to replace the batteries.

Comment

This is exactly why I bought a new phone! It cost more to replace the batteries.
                    You mean the new phone you bought doesn't need battery replacements ever?

After spending a $100 bucks to replace batteries on a $39 phone I was about ready to buy a new phone too, but if I have to replace batteries on all 4 of the phones what is the point really?

Comment

the old phone is a 5.8 GHz and the new phone is a DECT 6.0...whatever the heck that means!!!
                      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Just different transmission standards; DECT = Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications. 6.0 is the USA standard, slightly different from those used in other regions, because of radio frequency usage in the US.
                      The spectrum band for DECT 6.0 in the USA is 1.9 GHz — which is helpful since it does not interfere with the crowded 2.4 GHz frequency (which is used by both 802.11b and 802.11g WiFi networks, as well as other cordless phones). 1.9 GHz has been reserved by the FCC exclusively for voice communication applications.
                      Last edited by TuNnL; March 7, 2011, 06:45 PM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        The spectrum band for DECT 6.0 in the USA is 1.9 GHz — which is helpful since it does not interfere with the crowded 2.4 GHz frequency (which is used by both 802.11b and 802.11g WiFi networks, as well as other cordless phones). 1.9 GHz has been reserved by the FCC exclusively for voice communication applications.
                        Thanks for the additional detail, TuNnL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          You mean the new phone you bought doesn't need battery replacements ever?
                          It uses 2 AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries that can be purchased for $6 to $10. online...or $19.95 at panasonic.com!!!
                          After spending a $100 bucks to replace batteries on a $39 phone I was about ready to buy a new phone too, but if I have to replace batteries on all 4 of the phones what is the point really?
                          Do I understand correctly that you purchased a set of 4 phones with batteries for $39.? If that's true then you'd save $61. by purchasing a new set of phones and tossing (well, recycling) the old set. Sorry if I misunderstood your purchase.
                          Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Thanks, TuNnl. That's good to know. I was getting a lot of static with my old phone. Everything is plugged into one phone jack...DSL wireless router, fax, phone (which is plugged into a filter). New phone got static, too, until I unplugged the fax from the phone jack.

Comment

Hawaiian Tel provided me with a filter to plug into the outlet, between the phone line and the modem. They said with that filter, there shouldn't be any interference. I was told that also affected my fax machine too. of course, that was for my DSL line - I don't know what kind of connection you have.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Hawaiian Tel provided me with a filter to plug into the outlet, between the phone line and the modem. They said with that filter, there shouldn't be any interference. I was told that also affected my fax machine too. of course, that was for my DSL line - I don't know what kind of connection you have.
                              Sounds like we have somewhat the same set-up except HawTel told me to plug my phone into the filter. I should add I have a triple adapter in the single phone jack. Filter in one puka, fax in one puka, router in one puka. Phone is plugged into the filter. Lotsa static with this configuration. Unplugging the fax helps which is fine because I don't use it very often.

Comment

Working...
                              X