Voltage regulators and Uninterupted Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage regulators and Uninterupted Power Supply

In another thread GregLee mentioned a UPS. For the technically challenged, can someone offer more info, please? Specifically I'm wondering about the following while assuming it's plugged into a wall outlet:
    1. Can a power strip be plugged into the VR so that more than one item can be protected by it? Or, must the VR have multiple outlets on it so that each piece of equipment is plugged directly into it?

2. Are there any product details I should be aware of? Wikipedia has confused the heck outta me!

All I'd like to do is protect my TV and computer. Is something like this adequate or an overkill? What am I missing?

Big mahaloz...

Re: Voltage regulators

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    In another thread GregLee mentioned a UPS. For the technically challenged, can someone offer more info, please?
    Careful Tutu, you are mixing apples and oranges.

A UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) is nothing more than a big battery. If your power goes out, it will keep your computer running off a stand alone battery for a certain amount of time - depending on how elaborate the UPS is and how much power your computer uses.

A Voltage Regualtor protects your sensitive equipment from power surges much like a Surge Protector. Relalize that a Surge Protector has a limited life determined by how many surges it experiences. Think of it as a brick wall and each time a surge hits, it knocks out a few bricks depending on how much surge there is. That is why some surge protectors are more expensive than others. They are rated at so many "joules." The more joules the higher the brick wall.

Two different animals for two different purposes.

Specifically I'm wondering about the following while assuming it's plugged into a wall outlet:
    1. Can a power strip be plugged into the VR so that more than one item can be protected by it? Or, must the VR have multiple outlets on it so that each piece of equipment is plugged directly into it?
    They both do the same thing. A VR is an expensive power strip.

2. Are there any product details I should be aware of? Wikipedia has confused the heck outta me!
    Join the crowd!

All I'd like to do is protect my TV and computer. Is something like this adequate or an overkill? What am I missing?
    It all depends on the specifications of the VR. Someone more technically savvy than I needs to answer that for you.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I don't have any experience with voltage regulators. I think the idea is to smooth out short range fluctuations in your house supply. Surge suppressors do that also, but smooth out the large transitory high voltages that can result when power comes back after an outage and tend to kill some appliances with weak power supplies. UPSs, since they have batteries, can supply electricity during an extended power outage, and cost more according to how long they can run your devices. My UPSs range from around $40 for one that can run my computer for about 5 minutes when power goes out to $165 for one that runs my computer for about an hour. A UPS will generally incorporate a surge suppressor with multiple outlets and also have some voltage regulation, but might not do these things as well as a specialized device. I don't know the details.

My UPSs have multiple outlets and come with a warning not to attach a power strip to extend the number of outlets. (I don't know why or whether to take this warning seriously.) A surge suppressor will typically already have multiple outlets, much like a power strip.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Careful Tutu, you are mixing apples and oranges.[...]
        Oh, I'm not surprised! The Untechie Tutu strikes again!
        Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        I don't have any experience with voltage regulators. I think the idea is to smooth out short range fluctuations in your house supply. Surge suppressors do that also, but smooth out the large transitory high voltages that can result when power comes back after an outage and tend to kill some appliances with weak power supplies.[...]
        This sounds like want I'm looking for. I want to protect my TV. I just realized the only time my computer is plugged in is when I'm using it while recharging the battery. When there's a power outage I immediately remove the power adapter in a knee-jerk reaction! I can't do that with the TV.

Thanks to the 2 of you for getting my apples and oranges in order!

Comment

I want to protect my TV.
          I doubt this is a worthwhile project. I've heard that consumer TVs have very robust power supplies, and really don't need auxiliary protection. I don't have either of my TVs on UPSs and only one of them on a surge suppressor. I've never had a TV break because of a power problem.
          Greg

Comment

I doubt this is a worthwhile project. I've heard that consumer TVs have very robust power supplies, and really don't need auxiliary protection. I don't have either of my TVs on UPSs and only one of them on a surge suppressor. I've never had a TV break because of a power problem.
            This is a well-circulated myth. If you have ever disassembled a quality home theater (HT) surge protector such as the ones manufactured by Monster or Panamax, you would realize its impossible to cram something that big into a flat-screen television. The more electronics (DVD player, cable box, etc.) you have plugged in, the more surge protectors designed for HT applications (better known as power conditioners) are essential equipment, at least in the City & County of Honolulu. The only metro area in the U.S. with worse power fluctuation is Las Vegas. Ask someone in the know at HECO if they are willing to give you the truth. (or better yet, ask a manager ar Best Buy how many televisions they sold after the island-wide blackout we had)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Voltage regulators and Uninterupted Power Supply

The only reason I can think of having an Uninterupted Power Supply (UPS) to support a TV set is that if the main power goes off you can still watch TV for however long that UPS can supply power for, but you have to keep in mind that you would also need to power your cable box as well (if you have one) since your TV needs to get the signal from that.

That too is a problem since there are more electronic devices involved between your cable box and the source of the TV signal which your UPS can't reach.

Comment

I doubt this is a worthwhile project. I've heard that consumer TVs have very robust power supplies, and really don't need auxiliary protection.[...]
                I started this thread after seeing LikaNui's post in the weather thread. Power outages this morning cost him a $150. repair. Just trying to avoid something similar.
                Originally posted by helen View Post
                The only reason I can think of having an Uninterupted Power Supply (UPS) to support a TV set is that if the main power goes off you can still watch TV[...]
                The issue for me is to protect the TV from damage during a power outage, not watch it during a power outage. I've officially learned the difference between a UPS and a voltage regulator! Oh wait...I just noticed the thread title was changed.

Comment

I started this thread after seeing LikaNui's post in the weather thread. Power outages this morning cost him a $150. repair. Just trying to avoid something similar.
                  It turned out to cost $250.
                  He had to replace the power module. The part cost $133 and labor was $117. He only charged me his actual cost for the part (I know, as I saw his own invoice and saw it online as well), and his labor charge included him driving from Kaneohe to Sony's building in Mapunapuna to get the part, then he came here to my house to fix the set.
                  He had to remove at least two dozen screws to take the back off of the flat panel set, and it was really interesting to see the insides. I took a couple of photos; maybe I'll post them tomorrow.
                  Back to your topic -- I have all my equipment on surge protectors, so I don't know if the power outages caused my TV set to break or not. As far as I'm concerned, though, having any surge protector is better than nothing.
                  But I'm as un-techie as you are, Tutu.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have my TV, satellite box and DVD player plugged into a UPS power strip. This morning before I left for work I turned the power strip off. I also unplugged the AC power from my laptop. I don't know if its really necessary to do that but somehow it makes me feel more relaxed that my electronics will be safe in case of a power surge.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The issue for me is to protect the TV from damage during a power outage,.
                      Then I would recommend the biggest, baddest surge protector you can buy. Get the one with the highest rated "joules" which will be noted on the exterior of the package. It will also have an "in" and "out" for your telephone. You will want to plug TV, DVD, Computer, telephone, and any other sensitive electronic equipment (like my margarita blender!) into the device. A good surge protector will cost between $50 and $100 and usually includes an insurance program for your electronics (although I've never had to use that feature so I can't say how well that works.). Most will have an indicator light that will tell you when enough of those bricks have been knocked out of that wall I was talking about to render it useless. Replace it at that point. A surge protector is NOT a lifetime device.

Besides power surges through HECO, you also need to be concerned about lightning strikes nearby. They can do more damage than power fluctuations. Sometimes, even surge protectors won't protect. The best strategy is to unplug everything during an electrical storm.
                      Last edited by matapule; June 4, 2011, 02:40 AM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        I have my TV, satellite box and DVD player plugged into a UPS power strip.
                        You are confusing me Ana. I have never seen a UPS that is a power strip. Maybe we are just talking about semantics here, but I don't want you to think that a common power strip is a UPS.

Not all power strips are surge protectors either. Common, inexpensive power strips are nothing more than glorified extension cords with multiple outlets. A surge protector will sometimes look like a power strip but it does a whole lot more.

This morning before I left for work I turned the power strip off. I also unplugged the AC power from my laptop. I don't know if its really necessary to do that but somehow it makes me feel more relaxed that my electronics will be safe in case of a power surge.
                        Again, you are confusing me. Simply turning a power strip off does NOT protect you from power surges. The best strategy during an electrical storm is to unplug everything, including your power strips.

Again, a UPS will not protect you from power surges. In fact, a power surge cause by an electrical storm could potentially fry your UPS. A UPS should only be used for short term (5 or 10 minutes) power for electronic equipment should your power go out. A UPS gives you just enough time to "save" any sensitive files you are working on before shutting down your computer.

A surge protector will protect from most power surges (depending on the number of "joules"). However it is doubtful that it will protect you from a nearby lightning strike. It is always best to unplug all electrical devices during a lightning storm. This is a critical issue on a boat (my boat) where lightning can knock out your navigation system on the high seas! That is why I always carry a couple of battery operated handheld GPS units in foil wrappers on the boat.

A voltage regulator provides "clean power" in areas where voltage varies slightly from time to time. Sometimes computers will not work well without clean power. Clocks may run fast or slow. Electric ovens may not get as hot as the dial says. Microwaves do goofy things. Etc. In most municipal areas this is not an issue, but perhaps it is in HI.

These are three different animals for three different purposes.

Comment

I bought this surge protector for $25 for my TV: Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector (8 feet). It's rated at 4320 joules.

You have to plug surge protectors into grounded outlets, otherwise they don't protect (though still work as power strips).
                          Greg

Comment

I bought this surge protector for $25 for my TV: Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector (8 feet). It's rated at 4320 joules.
                            I prefer surge protectors with 10,000 joules protection and greater. It is worth the protection for a few dollars more.

Comment

Matapule, please don't be confused.

I'm aware that a UPS has a number of electrical outlets on it, along with phone-type plugs. (hence the "power strip" reference). That is how you hook up your computer etc. to it. I have my TV, DVD player (in surge protector plugs), Satellite box, laptop A/C adapter and router plugged into it. I'm also aware that a UPS is meant to give you a few minutes to properly turn off your equipment when you hear the alarm. On a regular power strip, there usually is NO alarm. I can't pick it up to see the "joules" rating but it was provided to me by a computer expert so I'm sure it is sufficient to protect my equipment when used as intended.

I'm also aware that merely turning off the UPS will not totally protect me from a major power surge. However, since the power outlet of the UPS is behind a bed and is a major moving job to get to, the lesser amount of protection is sufficient for me. If things get fried - its just the cosmos telling me I have too much technology and I need to cut back.

Matapule, I hope this helps your confusion and relieves your mind. My stuff cost a lot of $$$ and I take good care of it. I a'int no computer/electronics dummy.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X