X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voltage regulators and Uninterupted Power Supply

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Per the manual that came with my power conditioner:
    That's nice. Given the amount of energy a failed/overloaded MOV may be required to dissipate, I doubt if what the shell is made of matters much. UL 1449 covers this situation, so I'd look for the UL label

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    This is something I have wondered about, when to replace a surge protector. Are the indicator lights of any use?
    Typically when MOVs fail, they short out requiring something to open up. The light would indicate if that's happened. I suppose it's possible that it could fail in such a way as not to cause a "fail" indication, but a failed indicator is a clear sign it's time to buy a replacement. I can't say as I've seen very many power strips with that problem.

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
    The joules rating for this APC part is 3020. The Belkin part I referred to previously ($25) is 4320j.
    But joules is not the end-all be all rating, and there's a point of diminishing returns.

As it turns out, I noticed one of my surge suppressors was looking a bit ratty. It was old - home built in a time before you could easily buy them. And it was rusting. After looking at a few stores I ended up with a GE unit

3800 joules (more then adequate)
    UL 1449 clamping voltage: 330V L-N, 400V N-G, L-G
    Response time < 1nSec

All for $28 at wally world. They also carried the Monster brand, but it was all marketing and no specs on the box.

Comment

ok - I just put this surge protector on order @ BestBuy. Would some of you experts please tell me what you think? Keep in mind that I don't have a "home theater", just a TV & DVD player and I have a laptop computer so I don't really need the UPS type of strip.

Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/360+Elec...ctor&cp=1&lp=2
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Not bad. I'd like to see a UL rating. It may have one, just not mentioned.

Comment

what is the importance of the UL rating? I understand about UL approved but not the rating.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            what is the importance of the UL rating? I understand about UL approved but not the rating.
            I'm not aware of a difference. Maybe just clumsy phrasing on my part. My main concern is that it doesn't catch fire if hit by a massive overload.

Comment

Would some of you experts please tell me what you think?
              I think this will do the trick for you.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

ok - I just put this surge protector on order @ BestBuy. Would some of you experts please tell me what you think? Keep in mind that I don't have a "home theater", just a TV & DVD player and I have a laptop computer so I don't really need the UPS type of strip.

Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/360+Elec...ctor&cp=1&lp=2
                FWIW, anapuni, it's in stock at the same price at amazon.com. Don't know how the shipping compares, tho'. It's $29.99 with free shipping if you're willing to wait.

Comment

yes, i can see where that would be a major concern. i always turn off my power stips when there is an outage but if i'm not at home, i guess i would need to worry.

Tutu = thanks! I'll definitely check that out.
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just cancelled my BestBuy order (total $43.18) and ordered a Belkin brand surge protector from Amazon ($28.77) with free shipping and its better for my purposes because the cord is 2 ft longer!

Thanks to TutuSue for saving me $$$$!!
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just cancelled my BestBuy order (total $43.18) and ordered a Belkin brand surge protector from Amazon ($28.77) with free shipping and its better for my purposes because the cord is 2 ft longer!

This Belkin 4320j protector is one that I have and that I recommended previously. Seemed like a good deal, to me. I'm not sure it's different from the Best Buy one, except costing a little less and, as you note, having an 8' cord. I'm using it for a wine refrigerator that seems to have a rather delicate power supply, and so far, the fridge has continued to work through several power outages.
                      Greg

Comment

I truly admire a man who has his priorities straight - gotta keep that wine frig working that would be mine too - if I had a wine frig!
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Cool...now buy a nice bottle of wine with your savings!
                          You're welcome...from the FrugalTutu

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                            I'm using it for a wine refrigerator that seems to have a rather delicate power supply, and so far, the fridge has continued to work through several power outages.
                            Interesting! I have had my vast six bottle wine cooler in Mexico for about two years now. I had it plugged directly into an outlet. The power system in Mexico is notorious for delivering "dirty" power. Last week my vast six bottle wine cooler bit the dust. I will get another one, but I think I will plug it into a surge protector next time to save my investment.

This morning we had Father's Day brunch at our casa for a bunch of neighbors. I served Bellinis - champagne (Pol Remy Brut) with either peach or mango nectar. Mighty tasty!
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

if your wine cooler is of the compressor type then accurate or somewhat accurate frequency is important. This is where a good line conditioner would better serve you as opposed to a surge protector.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X